Music Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
Coachella was awesome btw - McCartney, Leonard Cohen, M Ward, Los Campinesos, X, Silversun Pickups, Murder City Devils, My Bloody Valentine (loudest show I've ever seen), and The Cure (who continued to play even after the promoters pulled the plug on them about three hours into their set.)

I didn't do the entire fest, but I was in and out a few times. It was nice to be able to drive home, take a shower and get in my bed every night and not have to go stanky for 3 days.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
All I want to see is Tool

Such a great show. I will never forget them closing out Lolla 97 at the World/Tweeter Center/whatever it is called now. Korn cancelled because Munky got meningitis and Tool got the extra time. Maynard blew me away, the guy has such a great presence on stage

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to this review. It wasn't as funny as it could've been, almost sympathetic at points, but this line:

"It's here where this entire internet-bubble beta-male rap game reveals how far up its own ass it is: Roth is defending himself against backlash, second-album "I've seen some s***"-style, before anyone cared enough to start it." was on point.

Pitchfork reviews Asher Roth

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/12931-...he-bread-aisle/

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
All I want to see is Tool

Same here. Tool continues to put on incredible shows time after time. Each time I see them I say it's the best show I've ever seen. They are remarkably talented musicians and have easily become the one can't-miss show for me whenever they are in town.

Anvil kicked my ass tonight.

I went to Metro fully expecting to enjoy the documentary and leave after they played two songs.

I could not have been more wrong. They were excellent tonight. From the first note to the last, they left it all on the field.

Robb Reiner is maybe the best drummer no one's heard of. He was phenomenal.

What a total shock, and a very, VERY pleasant shock at that.

Oh, and the movie is terrific too. I will absolutely purchase it the day it comes out on DVD.

All in all, I give it a:

:headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to this review. It wasn't as funny as it could've been, almost sympathetic at points, but this line:

"It's here where this entire internet-bubble beta-male rap game reveals how far up its own ass it is: Roth is defending himself against backlash, second-album "I've seen some s***"-style, before anyone cared enough to start it." was on point.

Pitchfork reviews Asher Roth

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/12931-...he-bread-aisle/

Really a 2.4? This is exactly why I don't go to Pitchfork for opinions on anything rap/hip-hop. The album is about a 7.5

Just got back from seeing Wale. The man puts on an excellent show, made even better with a live band....his show is a MUST see for hip-hop fans.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 08:18 AM)
Really a 2.4? This is exactly why I don't go to Pitchfork for opinions on anything rap/hip-hop. The album is about a 7.5

Just got back from seeing Wale. The man puts on an excellent show, made even better with a live band....his show is a MUST see for hip-hop fans.

Did I enjoy a few songs? Yes. But this guy really is full of s***. And the reason he is being rejected by the lot of us, is roth really is the last example of the music industry trying to push opinion. The guy has some incredibly embarrassing lyrics, and when you come out first with "I love college", you can f-off.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 09:03 AM)
Did I enjoy a few songs? Yes. But this guy really is full of s***. And the reason he is being rejected by the lot of us, is roth really is the last example of the music industry trying to push opinion. The guy has some incredibly embarrassing lyrics, and when you come out first with "I love college", you can f-off.

Again, this is a guy having fun with rap. I don't think anyone was hyping this kid up to be the 2nd coming, although he has some songs that I think are damn good. The Greenhouse Effect mixtape is an example. His freestyle over "A Milli" is another one. I guess I don't see all the hate & why some people seem to hate the guy from one single.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)
Again, this is a guy having fun with rap. I don't think anyone was hyping this kid up to be the 2nd coming, although he has some songs that I think are damn good. The Greenhouse Effect mixtape is an example. His freestyle over "A Milli" is another one. I guess I don't see all the hate & why some people seem to hate the guy from one single.

Because like it or not some people represent things in music. And what this guy represents is so late 90s, so late-trend-out-of-place B.S. that anyone who has come to enjoy the fact that we killed the music industry will hate this kid. He is a front.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
Because like it or not some people represent things in music. And what this guy represents is so late 90s, so late-trend-out-of-place B.S. that anyone who has come to enjoy the fact that we killed the music industry will hate this kid. He is a front.

so late 90s? late trend? Maybe it's just your market that he's not trying to reach. "I Love College" is one of the most requested song on our radio station here at Columbia College. So far his numbers have him at 70k sold. Not even counting digital units. Doesn't seem that out of place to me....

So how exactly is he a front?

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 11:28 PM)
so late 90s? late trend? Maybe it's just your market that he's not trying to reach. "I Love College" is one of the most requested song on our radio station here at Columbia College. So far his numbers have him at 70k sold. Not even counting digital units. Doesn't seem that out of place to me....

So how exactly is he a front?

because it's complete retread "selling your lifestyle back to you" garbage we had to deal with 10 years ago. He's Kid Rock.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 09:01 AM)
Such a great show. I will never forget them closing out Lolla 97 at the World/Tweeter Center/whatever it is called now. Korn cancelled because Munky got meningitis and Tool got the extra time. Maynard blew me away, the guy has such a great presence on stage

Maynard is a lyrical genius, and i could talk for hours about the rest of the band as well. They are so different musically and i love it.

Oh, and I really hate Asher Roth, I'm sick of people telling me to listen to that s***

Edited by Sonik22

i'm sure none of you remember this, but sometime last summer i came here saying i was starting a band and we were gonna try out some rhcp stuff. well, i figured i'd give an update, and do some shameless advertising of some videos we put up... :lolhitting

last weekend we played a show outside a hotel here in downtown columbus. we got lucky because our bassist's dad is in a local cover band, and they said they'd let us open for them. We ended up playing three songs, starting with "purple stain" by rhcp, then we played an original called "ain't my scene", then we closed with "give it away". it was a lot of fun and we think it went well, so here's the videos... (i'm the singer, be gentle... haha)

"Ain't my Scene":

"Give it Away": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4BeiJhkd5Y

Thanks for any input!

QUOTE (The Human Borch @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
i'm sure none of you remember this, but sometime last summer i came here saying i was starting a band and we were gonna try out some rhcp stuff. well, i figured i'd give an update, and do some shameless advertising of some videos we put up... :lolhitting

last weekend we played a show outside a hotel here in downtown columbus. we got lucky because our bassist's dad is in a local cover band, and they said they'd let us open for them. We ended up playing three songs, starting with "purple stain" by rhcp, then we played an original called "ain't my scene", then we closed with "give it away". it was a lot of fun and we think it went well, so here's the videos... (i'm the singer, be gentle... haha)

"Ain't my Scene":

Thanks for any input!

You guys certainly have talent, that is for sure. You played the covers pretty well, but I think you should focus on developing your own style(you dont want to be known as the band that can play an awesome cover of blahblah, you want to be known as the band that came out with that great song).

For your first chance at opening a show and being out there, you guys did well

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
I didn't do the entire fest, but I was in and out a few times. It was nice to be able to drive home, take a shower and get in my bed every night and not have to go stanky for 3 days.

Yeah, me too - did Friday & Sunday, slept all day Sat - we didnt get home Fri until 6am. Great fest.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
Anvil kicked my ass tonight.

I went to Metro fully expecting to enjoy the documentary and leave after they played two songs.

I could not have been more wrong. They were excellent tonight. From the first note to the last, they left it all on the field.

Robb Reiner is maybe the best drummer no one's heard of. He was phenomenal.

What a total shock, and a very, VERY pleasant shock at that.

Oh, and the movie is terrific too. I will absolutely purchase it the day it comes out on DVD.

All in all, I give it a:

:headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

The movie was UNBELIEVABLE - can't wait to see the band. Are they still playing as a three-piece?

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
The movie was UNBELIEVABLE - can't wait to see the band. Are they still playing as a three-piece?

Yeah, Ivan is gone for good. He ended up marrying that "manager" of theirs.

I heard an interview with Lips recently and he discussed what happened with Ivan. He said that Ivan ultimately refused to rehearse with the band and would only learn his solos (and no rhythm parts or anything else).

It got too difficult for Lips to deal with him with the output being only 3 or 4 solos, so he let him go.

They sound GREAT as a 3-piece, so they're not missing anything musically, and I'm guessing it's probably a little better for them financially as well (paying 3 people as opposed to 4).

QUOTE (The Human Borch @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)

"Ain't my Scene":

Thanks for any input!

Not bad, not bad at all. :cheers

QUOTE (The Human Borch @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)

"Ain't my Scene":

Thanks for any input!

In the far shots you look like that Adam/Andy/Sanberg/ler dude on SNL.

In the closer shots you look like James Blunt.

Wierd, cuz those guys look nothing alike.

That's all I got.