If it goes Pods and Erstad 1 & 2...?

BearSox

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 03:14 AM)
What is with all the Podsednik hate? I don't like him or anything, but he wasn't 100% last year. Would I rather have Dave Roberts in LF and leading off? Hell yes. But then again, Podsednik can return to that 05 and 03 form, and hit .300, with a .350+ OBP, and steal 60 bags and have a 80% completion rate of doing so.

And I can kinda understand the Erstad hate, but can we please wait until the season is two months through the season and see the results before we crucify the whole team? For all we know Pods reverts back to '05, and Erstad repeats 2000.

Erstad is not going to "revert" to his 2000 form. That was 7 years ago and he has approached nothing close to it since then. We call that a "Career Year".

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 10:14 PM)
What is with all the Podsednik hate? I don't like him or anything, but he wasn't 100% last year. Would I rather have Dave Roberts in LF and leading off? Hell yes. But then again, Podsednik can return to that 05 and 03 form, and hit .300, with a .350+ OBP, and steal 60 bags and have a 80% completion rate of doing so.

And I can kinda understand the Erstad hate, but can we please wait until the season is two months through the season and see the results before we crucify the whole team? For all we know Pods reverts back to '05, and Erstad repeats 2000.

Yeah, nothing in your post is likely to happen at all.

Podsednik physically can't steal at 80% anymore, unless he develops Carlos Beltran-esque effeciency and reads on pitchers next year; you know as well as I that's not going to happen.

And the only way Erstad will be quite helpful offensively is if he has a year similar to 2004. That is pretty much it, because as is, the Sox have a better CFer in AAA.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 10:05 PM)
Toss Up...

What's more likely to happen first?

Erstad gets injured or Ozzie realizes what a friggin failure his idea was and Iguchi returns to hitting 2nd

If Erstad begins the year in the 2 hole he'll have about the same odds of being removed from that role as Pods had of being replaced while sucking last season.

This, is horrible, this news is.

Another year of watching prancing pods in left and leading off is bad enough, now the thought of watching him and Erstad back to back..dayum. So by grinderball we mean grinding out runs without putting our first two hitters on base? Sounds difficult

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 10:26 PM)
Fluke perhaps fits better in this situation.

Aberration

Anomaly

It doesn't matter what you call it, you're never seeing that type of production from Darin Erstad ever again and I don't get why it's even mentioned, Hawk has mentioned 2000 during every Erstad AB this Spring even during games that weren't on TV.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 10:40 PM)
Damn I can't wait to see whose getting cut tomorrow. It's going to go down to 28 or so?

I still think Brian could be cut in a surprise move. I'm not sure how Guillen is going to justify it but the demotion is inevitable. Might as well get it out of the way now and save yourself the roster spot.

Think about it though, we have Buehrle, Contreras, Garland, Vazquez, Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal, Pierzynski, Thome, Konerko, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede, Podsednik, Erstad, Dye, Mackowiak, Cintron, Ozuna and Hall as locks to make the team so that's 20 spots taken up that leaves only 8 spots after tomorrow's cuts.

Danks, Floyd, Russell (supposedly in the running), Masset, Aardsma, Haeger, Logan, Sisco, Terrero, Anderson and Perez are all on the bubble for the 5th starter spot, the 4th, 5th & 6th bullpen spots and the final spot on the bench.

So that's 11 players and only 8 spots. Which 3 of the 11 mentioned below will be cut tomorrow?

Probably Russell, Aardsma and Sisco but there should be a decent surprise in there none the less.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 10:48 PM)
Danks, Floyd, Russell (supposedly in the running), Masset, Aardsma, Haeger, Logan, Sisco, Terrero, Anderson and Perez are all on the bubble for the 5th starter spot, the 4th, 5th & 6th bullpen spots and the final spot on the bench.

So that's 11 players and only 8 spots. Which 3 of the 11 mentioned below will be cut tomorrow?

Probably Russell, Aardsma and Sisco but there should be a decent surprise in there none the less.

For some odd reason Russell might stay to get one more look and I could see Haeger go down thanks to his outing from today's game, but all in all right as usual K-lap. We'll see come tomorrow.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 11:53 PM)
For some odd reason Russell might stay to get one more look and I could see Haeger go down thanks to his outing from today's game, but all in all right as usual K-lap. We'll see come tomorrow.

Agreed, I think Russell stays. It'd be odd to send him down just a couple days after Ozzie made those comments about him. It would be criminal to send Logan down.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 03:39 AM)
Aberration

Anomaly

It doesn't matter what you call it, you're never seeing that type of production from Darin Erstad ever again and I don't get why it's even mentioned, Hawk has mentioned 2000 during every Erstad AB this Spring even during games that weren't on TV.

I remember last year that there were quite a few people suggesting that Erstad's career year was due to steroids. It's funny how now that he's on the Sox, I haven't seen one mention of that.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 11:42 PM)
Agreed, I think Russell stays. It'd be odd to send him down just a couple days after Ozzie made those comments about him. It would be criminal to send Logan down.

That's what I thought too but outside of Russell I'm really not sure who's getting cut.

Possibilities (11): Danks, Floyd, Russell, Masset, Aardsma, Haeger, Logan, Sisco, Terrero, Anderson Perez

Not getting Cut (4): Danks, Floyd, Masset, Logan

That leaves 7 guys and 3 have to go

Probably not getting cut (2): Anderson and Terrero

That leaves 5: Russell, Aardsma, Sisco, Haeger, Perez

I really don't know. Ozzie is far too unpredictable to even take a stab at this. Or is he just way too predictable that he gets you to over think the situation?

I dunno. I can never tell if I'm overthinking. But it usually turns out I wasn't.

I'd guess Aardsma, Sisco, and Perez. As much as I'd love to see Perez on this team, I don't think he'll have a place in the final shakeout, and the freak injury didn't help his odds. I hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 02:36 AM)
My prefered lineup:

1. Erstad LF

2. Iguchi 2B

3. Thome DH

4. Konerko 1B

5. Dye RF

6. Pierzynski C (Hall vs. lefties)

7. Crede 3B

8. Uribe SS

9. Anderson CF

Too bad that will NEVER happen. :(

Precisely the lineup I want to see. Too bad it makes too much logistical sense, so we aren't going to see it.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 01:36 AM)
My prefered lineup:

1. Erstad LF

2. Iguchi 2B

3. Thome DH

4. Konerko 1B

5. Dye RF

6. Pierzynski C (Hall vs. lefties)

7. Crede 3B

8. Uribe SS

9. Anderson CF

Too bad that will NEVER happen. :(

I agree. The only changes I wouldn't mind are Crede ahead of AJ.

I think any lineup will be good. There's enough Pods, Ersatd hate around here to start a world war. I'm not saying their hall of famer's but haven't both these guys won world series and been to all-star games?

The piching will be key. The lineup will do more than enough to win a world series.

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 01:30 PM)
Why on earth would anyone want Erstad within five miles of the top of the order?

Because it'll be either him or Pods hitting #1, and Erstad, who won't waste 25 outs getting caught stealing, is the lesser of the 2 evils. He also has a little bit more pop in the bat, and will get on base at the same rate Pods would.