If it goes Pods and Erstad 1 & 2...?

BearSox

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 01:25 PM)
I think any lineup will be good. There's enough Pods, Ersatd hate around here to start a world war. I'm not saying their hall of famer's but haven't both these guys won world series and been to all-star games?

The piching will be key. The lineup will do more than enough to win a world series.

Oh s*** I didn't know making an AS game (7 years ago for Erstad and Pods only got in because I'm a f***ing badass) and being on a World Series team were evidence of a productive player. Someone better let Ronnie Belliard and Scott Williamson know that they don't suck before they kill themselves.

Just as a fun fact, Timo Perez now has 2 rings and has played for 3 teams which have made the Wold Series. Alex Rodriguez World Series appearances? 0

I'm pretty much done debating the probabilities of the 2 lefties at the top of the order actually producing at an acceptable rate this season but I will make this last post before I disappear for the rest of the day. Looking at Erstad and Podsednik's skill sets as well as past production tells me a whole lot about what they could possibly bring to the club this year and it's not pretty. If you want to look at a couple all star appearances and a few world series at bats as some sort of evidence that these guys are going to help win some games this year and ignore some pretty damning statistical evidence then be my guest, I just wish I could be as blindly optimistic as you. Seriously.

I am becoming increasingly krass and irritable as the Spring goes on. This upsets me greatly.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 11:36 AM)
Because it'll be either him or Pods hitting #1, and Erstad, who won't waste 25 outs getting caught stealing, is the lesser of the 2 evils. He also has a little bit more pop in the bat, and will get on base at the same rate Pods would.

Erstad's OBP the last 6 years

Podsednik

I'd say Podsednik's actual getting-on-base in his worst years is as good or better than Erstad in his best years. But yeah, there is the whole CS thing. And the "little more pop" you talk about...well, that's basically the difference between probably 2-3 home runs and 5-6 home runs over a full season. Similar amounts of doubles for both players also, Podsednik with a few more triples.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
Because it'll be either him or Pods hitting #1, and Erstad, who won't waste 25 outs getting caught stealing, is the lesser of the 2 evils. He also has a little bit more pop in the bat, and will get on base at the same rate Pods would.

I actually think Podsednik has more power potential for the 2007 season, you likely will not see it but if both players went about things the same way at the plate this season I could definitely see Podsednik hitting a few more homeruns than Erstad this season. Of course at the most I see Erstad hitting 5 this year so that may have more to do with it than anything else.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 01:42 PM)
Erstad's OBP the last 6 years

Podsednik

I'd say Podsednik's actual getting-on-base in his worst years is as good or better than Erstad in his best years. But yeah, there is the whole CS thing. And the "little more pop" you talk about...well, that's basically the difference between probably 2-3 home runs and 5-6 home runs over a full season. Similar amounts of doubles for both players also, Podsednik with a few more triples

Well yeah if Erstad is hurt all year like he has been, Pods is a "better" option. But both players are pretty much awful, and I'm trying to come up with a lesser of the 2 evils here, and at least if he's healthy, Erstad can be a mere slightly below average player. I'd prefer they both are in Charlotte though, I hate grinders. If your a grinder, it just means you lack the talent to be a legit player and must work hard to survive. I'd rather have a really good player who doesn't "hustle as much".

And I agree Kalapse, I'm already getting pissed at Ozzie and getting anxiety over the season with this potential batting order, and the fact that Luis Terrero is going to be on the team.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 01:44 PM)
I actually think Podsednik has more power potential for the 2007 season, you likely will not see it but if both players went about things the same way at the plate this season I could definitely see Podsednik hitting a few more homeruns than Erstad this season. Of course at the most I see Erstad hitting 5 this year so that may have more to do with it than anything else.

Interesting....Pods get on the Gary Matthews Jr. program for his contract year? :cheers

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)
Just as a fun fact, Timo Perez now has 2 rings and has played for 3 teams which have made the Wold Series. Alex Rodriguez World Series appearances? 0

I was almost certain that was incorrect, but I had no idea that Timo was purchased by the Cards in April of last year. I thought he was with the Reds the entire year.

Silly me

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 02:02 PM)
I was almost certain that was incorrect, but I had no idea that Timo was purchased by the Cards in April of last year. I thought he was with the Reds the entire year.

Silly me

If you ever question me again, so help me god . . .

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
Would you agree that the better our defense is, the better the pitchers will be?

I think their Defense is good, not great and not awful. I like Andersons Defense but I'm not gonna act like he is a ten time gold glove winner. He may be one day, but I thinks he's young and not ready mentaly to handle it.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 01:46 PM)
Anderson is not a GG, but Pods is downright awful in LF and Erstad would be much better there.

Anderson may not be a gold-glove winner like Derek Jeter, but he was one of, if not the best defensive OF in baseball last year. He gets a little more accuracy out of his throwing arm and learns how to jump next to a wall so that ESPN notices him...and he'll win 10 of those.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 03:48 PM)
Anderson may not be a gold-glove winner like Derek Jeter, but he was one of, if not the best defensive OF in baseball last year. He gets a little more accuracy out of his throwing arm and learns how to jump next to a wall so that ESPN notices him...and he'll win 10 of those.

Oh I agree, but I'm willing to concede that point in this argument because an Erstad-Anderson-Dye outfield is still infinitely better than a Pods-Erstad-Dye outfield, even if Anderson is "only" above-average.

OK so, here is Joe Cowley showing again how poor a writer he is. His latest article says that because the staff is talking about carrying 11 pitchers (which I assumed was the case anyway), that maybe Brian gets a roster spot as a defensive replacement. This despite that fact that Ozzie and Kenny have both said, crystal clear, that Brian will not be a backup on this team. Did Joe forget that? Then he says that Erstad has shown he can play CF everyday. This despite the fact that yesterday he played like crap out there. And then, he uses an Ozzie quote to prove that Erstad is solid in CF... except the quote quite clearly states that its NOT Erstad's job yet, and that Brian needs to step it up to get the job.

I really dislike Cowley, and Gonzales. Its terrible that the two Sox beat writers at the major papers are so disappointing.

Here is the Trib's article covering the same material, but, doing a much more thorough and accurate job of it (Gonzales doing better today).

Looks like its Anderson, Terrero or Perez, and that Anderson is unlikely to be a backup. With Terrero struggling and Perez hurt, I think BA is definitely still in the hunt.

''If the season started today, my center fielder is Erstad,'' Guillen said. ''But it's a good thing the season doesn't start today. Hopefully, B.A. will step it up.''

So what exactly does "step it up" entail? How about 300 OPS points over his main competition in Spring? Not good enough? I can't even imagine how this is f***ing with Anderson's psyche.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
So what exactly does "step it up" entail? How about 300 OPS points over his main competition in Spring? Not good enough? I can't even imagine how this is f***ing with Anderson's psyche.

Well, to be totally fair BA did have a short 0/8 there, although he's been on base his last 3 plate appearances with a homer.

BA is in CF and Erstad is in LF today. In fact, I really like the look of today's lineup, and wouldn't mind seeing it quite a few times this season if Pods can't get his legs out of his a**.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)

I'm fine with it, as long as Ozzie picks the guy who is earning the job for Opening Day. So far, that's BA. if he keeps BA on the line like this, BA performs well, and he STILL gets sent down... then I'll be pissed.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)

Ozzie asked Brian to be either a speed guy or a power guy. This spring training, BA's had the nerve to hit 2 hrs AND steal 2 bases. If he can't stop doing one or the other, he's clearly got no place on this team.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 12:34 PM)
Ozzie asked Brian to be either a speed guy or a power guy. This spring training, BA's had the nerve to hit 2 hrs AND steal 2 bases. If he can't stop doing one or the other, he's clearly got no place on this team.

:lolhitting

It doesn't really matter how you line them up. If you have Pods and Erstad in the lineup, you are putting two REALLY BAD players in the field. I'm not a big VORP guy, but I bet both of these guys post negative numbers.

SO, OF COURSE, OZZIE GUILLEN WILL MAXIMIZE THE DAMAGE BY HITTING THEM FIRST AND SECOND.

Our best hope this year is that the Tigers will have a serious WS hangover and not perform nearly as well. Meanwhile, we have a 1-year window when Minnesota is missing Liriano. And, theoretically, Cleveland could continue to underachieve.

I don't think anyone is going to come close to 100 wins in the AL Central. Something in the low 90s will probably be enough, and as unhappy as I am about our offseason, I think we still have a possibility of making it there.

Edited by VAfan

QUOTE(VAfan @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 07:00 PM)
It doesn't really matter how you line them up. If you have Pods and Erstad in the lineup, you are putting two REALLY BAD players in the field. I'm not a big WIN SHARES guy, but I bet both of these guys post negative numbers.

SO, OF COURSE, OZZIE GUILLEN WILL MAXIMIZE THE DAMAGE BY HITTING THEM FIRST AND SECOND.

Our best hope this year is that the Tigers will have a serious WS hangover and not perform nearly as well. Meanwhile, we have a 1-year window when Minnesota is missing Liriano. And, theoretically, Cleveland could continue to underachieve.

I don't think anyone is going to come close to 100 wins in the AL Central. Something in the low 90s will probably be enough, and as unhappy as I am about our offseason, I think we still have a possibility of making it there.

WIN SHARES: Last year Erstad had 0, the two previous years 15 and 15. Podsednik had 9 last year, 12 and 15 the previous years. Last year Brian Anderson was 5. All from The Hardball Times.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 09:12 PM)
WIN SHARES: Last year Erstad had 0, the two previous years 15 and 15. Podsednik had 9 last year, 12 and 15 the previous years. Last year Brian Anderson was 5. All from The Hardball Times.

Glad someone finally posted that...

I don't care what Anderson's OPS, AVG, HR, SB, or whatever the hell other stats you can give me are in comparison to Erstad, there is something MORE to this story than any of you are willing to admit.

By now, it should be crystal CLEAR that BA has fallen out of favor with this *entire* organization. Perhaps through something he said or did behind the scenes, his attitude in general, but whatever it was/is, the only thing that's going to get him past it is to play as if he actually was the next Andruw Jones.

I stand by the Herb Brooks quote, "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm lookin' for the right ones."

Pretty obvious that this organization doesn't think BA is the right player, even if he is the best we've got.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 08:39 AM)
Glad someone finally posted that...

I don't care what Anderson's OPS, AVG, HR, SB, or whatever the hell other stats you can give me are in comparison to Erstad, there is something MORE to this story than any of you are willing to admit.

By now, it should be crystal CLEAR that BA has fallen out of favor with this *entire* organization. Perhaps through something he said or did behind the scenes, his attitude in general, but whatever it was/is, the only thing that's going to get him past it is to play as if he actually was the next Andruw Jones.

I stand by the Herb Brooks quote, "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm lookin' for the right ones."

Pretty obvious that this organization doesn't think BA is the right player, even if he is the best we've got.

Ozzie quote: "If the season started today, my center fielder is [Darin] Erstad," Guillen said Wednesday. "But the good thing is the season doesn't start today. … Hopefully, B.A. steps it up. We have so many different plans.

haha Based on what?? Why even act like BA has a chance? Just state the facts and say I'm going with my gut on center field. I know Brian is a better defender. I know Brian has better stats this spring and I know Brian is only going to continue to improve, but I like Erstad.

Id rather hear that then Ozzie pretend that this was an open competition and Brian failed. Truth is Brian didn't have a shot.