Is there a reasonable explanation for ESPNHD's

stretchstretch

http://hd.espn.com/hd/schedule.jsp

I mean I know as well as anyone the east coast bias on that network, but this is simply ridiculous! the coverage of Boston in particular, a team that didn't even make the playoffs last year?? Can they really keep claiming that "it's what the fans want to see" when they continue to make it a self fulfilling prophecy with this type of dedicated coverage? The Cards as the WS champs getting less coverage than the three east coast teams :bang

btw, for those of us outside the Chgo area this is a major problem....

It only goes thru April 16th and on the 15th: San Diego Padres vs. Los Angeles Dodgers

So there is a chance that other games will get shown. There will always be an East Coast bias on ESPN. There was a thing on ESPN radio where they admitted this and it is also evident by the lack of UFC coverage due to it being somewhat of a West Coast / Midwest thing.

I'll say this as somebody who worked in TV for a decade. Yes, obviously there is an East Coast bias to ESPN, perfectly demonstrated for all of history by the "Ohhh NOOOOO!" call during the ALDS when their second baseman booted the grounder by Uribe. Chris Behrman, yes?

From a TV standpoint the reality is that some teams have national appeal and that's what they go with. Ratings are all that matters. Like them or not, the Red Sox have a national fan base (ever been at The Cell when we play them?) and so do teams like the Mets. The Yankees have an almost international appeal.

Reality check: the White Sox do not. We love them, but the fact is that was one of the lowest-rated World Series in recent history. The Cubs--yes, puke--do have a national fan base, like it or not.

So get used to Red Sox/Yankees dominating ESPN... forever. Unless one of the West Coast teams begins a dynasty.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 12:46 PM)
I'll say this as somebody who worked in TV for a decade. Yes, obviously there is an East Coast bias to ESPN, perfectly demonstrated for all of history by the "Ohhh NOOOOO!" call during the ALDS when their second baseman booted the grounder by Uribe. Chris Behrman, yes?

From a TV standpoint the reality is that some teams have national appeal and that's what they go with. Ratings are all that matters. Like them or not, the Red Sox have a national fan base (ever been at The Cell when we play them?) and so do teams like the Mets. The Yankees have an almost international appeal.

Reality check: the White Sox do not. We love them, but the fact is that was one of the lowest-rated World Series in recent history. The Cubs--yes, puke--do have a national fan base, like it or not.

So get used to Red Sox/Yankees dominating ESPN... forever. Unless one of the West Coast teams begins a dynasty.

Not to rehash this argument again for the 1,000th time, but part of the reason Boston has a "national appeal" is because they are always f***ing on TV.... Like the original poster in this thread said: self fulfilling prophecy.

I don't think I speak for only myself when I say that A LOT of the members of "Red Sox Nation" know very little about baseball, (ever been at The Cell when we play them?), and would easily switch allegiance if another big city team got the same media coverage.

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 11:17 PM)
Not to rehash this argument again for the 1,000th time, but part of the reason Boston has a "national appeal" is because they are always f***ing on TV.... Like the original poster in this thread said: self fulfilling prophecy.

I don't think I speak for only myself when I say that A LOT of the members of "Red Sox Nation" know very little about baseball, (ever been at The Cell when we play them?), and would easily switch allegiance if another big city team got the same media coverage.

Good point...

I don't know how many people I have spoken too, told me that they grew up loving the cubs because of WGN.