Fantastic hockey goal

I realize hockey doesn't have the national appeal that some other sports have, but I figured I'd make a post about it anyway. Last night, the Gophers won the WCHA title (which will look pretty with their regular season WCHA title too) against UND on one of the best goals I've seen in my life (never been much of a hockey person, so its not saying much.. but still). The two teams were battling hard the entire game and were incredibly well matched, so the game ended up going into overtime at 2-2. Then, after only probably three minutes or so of overtime, the following play happened. The video is better than any way I could describe it with words, especially considering the situation it happened in.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 09:21 AM)
To me that goal is just a lucky shot. He dove and swatted his stick and it went in. Here are some great goals...not sure of the language. Man I miss good Blackhawk hockey. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTy30lYpRvo

:angry: Tony Amonte and Jeff Shantz...the good ol' days...and those weren't that good.

But Owen Nolan's called shot goal was AWESOME!!! "I'm comin' to get you." Classic.

Wheeler goal generates ESPY buzz

BY BRUCE BROTHERS

Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 03/20/2007 11:29:51 PM CDT

The shot heard 'round the world of hockey is still a major topic of conversation.

Blake Wheeler's sprawling game-winner for the University of Minnesota against North Dakota on Saturday night might even be ESPY-worthy.

That's the opinion, anyway, of Hopkins High School basketball star Blake Hoffarber, who won an ESPY for the "shot of the year" in 2005 after making a dramatic three-pointer from his backside in overtime in the Class AAAA state tournament.

Hoffarber saw replays on ESPN of Wheeler's diving, overtime shot in the title game of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association playoffs and called it "incredible. Especially because of the game; it wasn't just an average game."

Wheeler laughed at the idea of an ESPY.

More at link