What if its not Anderson, Terrero or Perez

NorthSideSox72

Since there are half a dozen threads related to the CF job, I wasn't sure where to put this, but here is something to think about. Here are Jerry Owens' numbers so far this spring...

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

12 21 7 8 0 0 0 1 8 4 2 4 0 .480 .381 .381

High average, very high OBP, 4-for-4 in steals, though not a ton of AB's. In other words, with those numbers and as much as Ozzie seems obsessed with speed... I wouldn't count him out as a possibility to make the team over Anderson, Terrero or Perez. I'm not saying its necessarily a good thing... just that its possible.

But here is a question I cannot answer, since I haven't seen him play this spring... how has he looked in the OF defensively? Because if he has looked decent in the spring in defense, I have a feeling Ozzie may be considering him for a spot.

ETA: Talking about the 25th spot in general here, and the OF, not necessarily CF.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 08:43 AM)
Since there are half a dozen threads related to the CF job, I wasn't sure where to put this, but here is something to think about. Here are Jerry Owens' numbers so far this spring...

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

12 21 7 8 0 0 0 1 8 4 2 4 0 .480 .381 .381

High average, very high OBP, 4-for-4 in steals, though not a ton of AB's. In other words, with those numbers and as much as Ozzie seems obsessed with speed... I wouldn't count him out as a possibility to make the team over Anderson, Terrero or Perez. I'm not saying its necessarily a good thing... just that its possible.

But here is a question I cannot answer, since I haven't seen him play this spring... how has he looked in the OF defensively? Because if he has looked decent in the spring in defense, I have a feeling Ozzie may be considering him for a spot.

ETA: Talking about the 25th spot in general here, and the OF, not necessarily CF.

From what I've seen and heard, Owens is only slightly above average on defense (if that), but I haven't seen a large enough sample size of his play to know for sure. Also, when looking at his numbers the first question that comes to mind is, great numbers...but against who?!

If those are in fact his numbers, and he's better than I believe him to be in CF, I'm sure Ozzie would be talking him up/considering him for the job, but since this isn't happening, I have to question why.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 09:05 AM)
From what I keep hearing about Owens, he needs to go back to AAA. I keep reading how he is behind in ABs and needs to play, so let's let him play. I would rather see a guy like Terrero buried on the bench vs Anderson or Owens. Let the kids play.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 09:11 AM)
All snarky comments aside, Owens probably does need another year down at Charlotte.

That is definitely the concensus, and there is still some question on whether or not he will ever reach the starting level anyway.

But, what do we think Ozzie will do? I just can't help but think that Oz would consider it, if Anderson is in AAA.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)
Owens would be a much better option if he had any sort of arm, or if he got better reads. He's kinda like Pods.

The couple games I saw him last year, one in CF and one in LF, his reads looked OK to me. Didn't have any trouble getting to the right spot. But his arm didn't look good.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
I'd much rather have Terrero on the roster, atleast he can make a throw if need be. You can only have so many Podsednik's on a roster, one is maddening enough, 2 is suicide.
Yeah, but they will have grinder-twin powers activated, which should intimidate the opposition on a daily basis.

I'll pass on Terrero. I've always felt that for the most part, having a good arm in CF is an overrated attribute. All things considered, it makes almost no difference considering even the best arms cannot stop runners from advancing *most* of the time. Getting good reads and having the speed to cover ground is far more important to me than having an arm. I'd prefer to have better cannon arms in LF and RF than CF...I believe they can make a bigger difference there.

Then again, my opinion is probably regarded as being in the minority on most things concerning baseball around here. :P

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)
I'll pass on Terrero. I've always felt that for the most part, having a good arm in CF is an overrated attribute. All things considered, it makes almost no difference considering even the best arms cannot stop runners from advancing *most* of the time. Getting good reads and having the speed to cover ground is far more important to me than having an arm. I'd prefer to have better cannon arms in LF and RF than CF...I believe they can make a bigger difference there.

Then again, my opinion is probably regarded as being in the minority on most things concerning baseball around here. :P

Well, that's mainly because you're wrong on a lot of baseball subjects. Not your fault, just the way it is.

Juan Pierre compared to Grady Sizemore in CF. If there's a ball hit deep into the right center field gap up against the wall and a runner on first. Juan Pierre picks it up and rolls it to the cutoff man at the back of secondbase, run scores. Sizemore gets back to the ball and hits the cutoff man on a fly holding the runner to 3B or even gunning him out at the plate if he's dumb enough to run.

A puss arm in CF could actually kill a team, every time there's a runner on second and a single up the middle a run is going to score but if you have someone out there who could actually throw worth a damn you're atleast giving yourself a fighting chance. It's really close to a tossup as to where you want your best arm to be in the OF between CF and RF. In right you have the deep corner and a long ass throw to 3B which is where the majority of your throwing opportunities are coming from. CF has deep gaps they have to worry about so an excellent arm out there is going to save you some runs.

You put your puss arm in LF, that's basically proven. You'll find most of the noodle armed fielders out there because of the proximity to 3B. I'll take a guy like Terrero over Owens every day of the week in CF and it's not even close.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 01:44 PM)
Well, that's mainly because you're wrong on a lot of baseball subjects. Not your fault, just the way it is.

Juan Pierre compared to Grady Sizemore in CF. If there's a ball hit deep into the right center field gap up against the wall and a runner on first. Juan Pierre picks it up and rolls it to the cutoff man at the back of secondbase, run scores. Sizemore gets back to the ball and hits the cutoff man on a fly holding the runner to 3B or even gunning him out at the plate if he's dumb enough to run.

A puss arm in CF could actually kill a team, every time there's a runner on second and a single up the middle a run is going to score but if you have someone out there who could actually throw worth a damn you're atleast giving yourself a fighting chance. It's really close to a tossup as to where you want your best arm to be in the OF between CF and RF. In right you have the deep corner and a long ass throw to 3B which is where the majority of your throwing opportunities are coming from. CF has deep gaps they have to worry about so an excellent arm out there is going to save you some runs.

You put your puss arm in LF, that's basically proven. You'll find most of the noodle armed fielders out there because of the proximity to 3B. I'll take a guy like Terrero over Owens every day of the week in CF and it's not even close.

I disagree about me being wrong on baseball subjects...just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me wrong.

That said, I also never went so far as to say a "puss" arm is a good idea for any position in baseball...but an average arm is fine by me. :P

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 01:47 PM)
I disagree about me being wrong on baseball subjects...just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me wrong.

That said, I also never went so far as to say a "puss" arm is a good idea for any position in baseball...but an average arm is fine by me. :P

Well, Owens has a puss arm. So yeah I don't really know why you'd want him out there.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)
Well, Owens has a puss arm. So yeah I don't really know why you'd want him out there.

All things being equal, I want Anderson out there -- he just seriously needs to put it together already. And, I do not want Owens out there -- nor do I want Terrero out there. If it cannot be Anderson, I'm taking Erstad as a fallback, but I still don't want Erstad batting #2...but if that's what happens...not much we armchair GM's can do about it.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 01:54 PM)
All things being equal, I want Anderson out there -- he just seriously needs to put it together already. And, I do not want Owens out there -- nor do I want Terrero out there. If it cannot be Anderson, I'm taking Erstad as a fallback, but I still don't want Erstad batting #2...but if that's what happens...not much we armchair GM's can do about it.

Well at this point it looks like BA is on the outside looking in, I honestly would not be surprised if he was a part of the next rash of cuts coming up. With Erstad and Pods startin in CF and LF respectively Anderson is not making the team so they're going to need a legit 4th OF to fill in every once in a while. Your choices for the spot are Terrero and Owens. And with out hesitation I'd take Terrero despite the fact that i think he's bad.