Range Extender

IlliniKrush

Random question, but maybe someone will have an idea.

I've got a range extender for wireless internet. The connection strength is not a problem, it works fine. However, every 30 or so minutes, like clockwork, the connection on each computer using the range extender sees the internet connection "reset." The wireless connection icon searches for the internet, the finds it within 10-20 seconds and everything is fine again, every time. I'm not sure if it's the range extender resetting with computers, or the original wireless internet modem resetting with the range extender.

Is this just something that happens when using a range extender? Or is there some way to stop this "resetting" effect?

TIA for any help.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 11:34 PM)
Random question, but maybe someone will have an idea.

I've got a range extender for wireless internet. The connection strength is not a problem, it works fine. However, every 30 or so minutes, like clockwork, the connection on each computer using the range extender sees the internet connection "reset." The wireless connection icon searches for the internet, the finds it within 10-20 seconds and everything is fine again, every time. I'm not sure if it's the range extender resetting with computers, or the original wireless internet modem resetting with the range extender.

Is this just something that happens when using a range extender? Or is there some way to stop this "resetting" effect?

TIA for any help.

I would suspect that maybe someone is sitting in the same channel that you are. About 90% of the people just go with the defaults on their wireless setup for channel selection. Most hardware picks one of 3 channels(6, 11 or 1). Download Netstumbler from http://www.netstumbler.com and run it for a bit, you will see all the wireless networks in your area broadcasting. If your network is configured for one of those channels and you may want to change it. Use netstumbler to figure out what channel is unoccupied. Remember to walk around the area that you want your wireless to run, because depending on the type of antennae and the power it may hit part of your house and not others. Remember other things that can interrupt 2.4gigahertz, like some phones, older microwaves.

Hope this helps.

Another thought, when troubleshooting something like this, you will want to isolate components. Take off the range extender when it is convienent and run a couple computers close by. If the problem stops, only to restart when the extender is added, you have a very good idea where the problem is. Check the settings and see if there is an automated seek happening.