Big Papi is a great guy

juddling

:notworthy :notworthy

My props to you Mr. Ortiz..this story says alot.

The Washington Post has a depressing/heartwarming story today about a fallen soldier who loved the Red Sox.

When Justin Allan Rollins learned that he was being deployed to Iraq last year, the soldier had a mission of his own: to see his beloved Boston Red Sox play at Fenway Park one last time.

Spec. Rollins saw more than just a game that summer day. He got to meet one of his heroes, Red Sox slugger David Ortiz. Ortiz signed a ball for him. Later, in the stands, Rollins turned to his father.

"He said, 'If David Ortiz hits a home run, I can die a happy man in Iraq,' " recalled Kathryn Hanson, a close family friend. "His father thought it was the most eerie thing he had ever heard."

Rollins was killed in Iraq two weeks ago and buried in Arlington National Cemetery yesterday. Ortiz sent an inscribed baseball to be placed inside the coffin and one of his jerseys signed with an inscription for the young soldier

QUOTE(juddling @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:notworthy :notworthy

My props to you Mr. Ortiz..this story says alot.

The Washington Post has a depressing/heartwarming story today about a fallen soldier who loved the Red Sox.

When Justin Allan Rollins learned that he was being deployed to Iraq last year, the soldier had a mission of his own: to see his beloved Boston Red Sox play at Fenway Park one last time.

Spec. Rollins saw more than just a game that summer day. He got to meet one of his heroes, Red Sox slugger David Ortiz. Ortiz signed a ball for him. Later, in the stands, Rollins turned to his father.

"He said, 'If David Ortiz hits a home run, I can die a happy man in Iraq,' " recalled Kathryn Hanson, a close family friend. "His father thought it was the most eerie thing he had ever heard."

Rollins was killed in Iraq two weeks ago and buried in Arlington National Cemetery yesterday. Ortiz sent an inscribed baseball to be placed inside the coffin and one of his jerseys signed with an inscription for the young soldier

I don't see what he did exactly. He signed a couple things. Kudos to him I guess.

Sorry....full story had more details. Papi met the soldier after a game one time and heard he was going off to Iraq. Papi gave him some signed stuff and said he would get him tickets anytime he was back.

That plus the fact he remembered who the guy was i think is what says alot.

Ortiz is one hellova human being even before this gesture he's done. I always liked him when he was in Minnesota. Just a ginuwine heart he has. Doesn't hurt that he loves the game alot eigher. He has been a great person on and off the field for the U.S. and his hometown the D.R.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 07:51 PM)
Ortiz is one hellova human being even before this gesture he's done. I always liked him when he was in Minnesota. Just a ginuwine heart he has. Doesn't hurt that he loves the game alot eigher. He has been a great person on and off the field for the U.S. and his hometown the D.R.

Haha...Not to be a jerk, but what the hell?