Bears trade for Archuleta

I think there are a lot of rumors of him switching to linebacker. Could this actually be a replacement for Briggs? 6'0" 223lbs - Archuleta and 6'1" 240 for Briggs. Archuleta adds 10 pounds and he can easily replace Briggs and we can trade Briggs for a lot more than a 6th round pick I betcha. Plus I think the Bears staff likes the safeties we have, they are just a young and inexperienced. Archuleta is not exactly a great safety and would not be considered an upgrade over what we currently have at safety. If this move is for a replacement for Briggs I love the move. If it is to be one of our starting safeties then I am a bit opposed.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 05:49 PM)
I think there are a lot of rumors of him switching to linebacker. Could this actually be a replacement for Briggs? 6'0" 223lbs - Archuleta and 6'1" 240 for Briggs. Archuleta adds 10 pounds and he can easily replace Briggs and we can trade Briggs for a lot more than a 6th round pick I betcha. Plus I think the Bears staff likes the safeties we have, they are just a young and inexperienced. Archuleta is not exactly a great safety and would not be considered an upgrade over what we currently have at safety. If this move is for a replacement for Briggs I love the move. If it is to be one of our starting safeties then I am a bit opposed.

Couldn't really hurt to try him there if they have the playing time, but I think this is sort of the "Mike Brown is always hurt and this guy is cheap and could still be decent in the system he grew up in" type deal.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Couldn't really hurt to try him there if they have the playing time, but I think this is sort of the "Mike Brown is always hurt and this guy is cheap and could still be decent in the system he grew up in" type deal.

I would really hate to see Mike Brown gone. He is a leader type and he is very smart. We need those types of players. However, I can't see the Bears paying 2.5 million a year for a backup safety. You are probably right, but I would love to see the move to linebacker. He made a ton of plays near the line of scrimmage for the Rams and it just seems like linebacker would be a great fit for him and his skill set, not safety. Now if Brown gets hurt and we have to move him there that is one thing, but it is not something I would like or look forward to seeing.

He's been absolutely TERRIBLE for the past few seasons.

Basically he's a strong safety who'sonly effective in the box stopping the run, and not good in coverage.

Think Roy Williams for example. So if a player like Daniel Manning really comes on as a center fielder like free safety, I could see this one working out.

Archuleta hasn't been the same type of player since Lovie left St. Louis as well.

This doesnt mean anything about the Bears parting ways with Brown. Brown controls his own destiny and that means he better not get injured this year. AA was supposedly brought in to be a back up and play special teams but I guarantee that they are gonna have some packages with him and Brown on the field.

Brown came into the league as a FS when we had Parrish and those two are the best safeties we got so dont be surprised if theyre on the field at the same time.

The linebacker thing is interesting but that may be an idea they have. Im just glad we have a veteran who has been to pro bowls, who already knows the defense added to our roster. This gives us so many more possibilities for the draft.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's been absolutely TERRIBLE for the past few seasons.

Basically he's a strong safety who'sonly effective in the box stopping the run, and not good in coverage.

Think Roy Williams for example. So if a player like Daniel Manning really comes on as a center fielder like free safety, I could see this one working out.

Archuleta hasn't been the same type of player since Lovie left St. Louis as well.

Sounds like an outside linebacker to me, no?

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly. Wouldn't be surprised if he made the switch. He played LB in college.

Yes he did, however I just read the Tribune article about the trade and it seems like he may be replacing Brown. I am not sure if this is speculation or inside information. I am not in favor of this and I like the linebacker move much better. Then trade Briggs for a 1st rounder. That would be nice.

Here is the trib article:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

The signing removes a position from the Bears' critical-need list and fortifies a key area of the defense. Archuleta is expected to be the Bears' starting strong safety alongside Danieal Manning, and his addition could signal the end of Mike Brown's career in Chicago.

Safety has been a concern the past two off-seasons and became increasingly shaky this year with Brown sustaining his second season-ending leg injury in three years and Todd Johnson and Cameron Worrell departingvia free agency.

Archuelta is 29, 6 feet and 223 pounds. He's a couple of months older than Brown but has no history of injury. He came into the NFL a year later than Brown, who missed most of the 2006 preseason with Achilles pain and went on injured reserve after injuring an ankle ligament in the sixth game at Arizona.

The Bears have been expected to approach Brown for a restructuring of the contract that is scheduled to pay him $2.49 million each of the next two seasons. If he and the Bears can reach an agreement, the safety position suddenly could be a strength with Archuleta, Brown and Chris Harris along with Manning, the Bears' first pick in last year's draft.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you guys see him playing linebacker to replace Briggs or backup or what? I would only think he would play LB in an emergency.

I am hoping to replace Briggs. We can turn Briggs into a first round pick and have Archuleta play outside linebacker and not miss a beat. That is my opinion anyway.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 09:36 PM)
I am hoping to replace Briggs. We can turn Briggs into a first round pick and have Archuleta play outside linebacker and not miss a beat. That is my opinion anyway.

I dont think we needed Archuleta to pull the trigger if somebody offered us a first rounder for Briggs at this point.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 05:48 PM)
Only a 6th rounder? Excellent trade for the bears. I wouldn't say the end for Brown though not by any means but it could mean FS might not be a serious issue come draft day.

Except he has a huge contract and is a horrible cover saftey.