Falcons to trade QB Schaub to Texans

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10078226

By day's end, the Atlanta Falcons will trade backup quarterback Matt Schaub to the Houston Texans, according to NFL sources. The Texans will surrender a second-round draft pick, and there could be other compensation involved.

The trade has massive ramifications. The Texans have their quarterback of the future, which David Carr no longer is. The Falcons are reaffirming their faith in Michael Vick, who now also needs a new backup. And the Texans are out of the Brady Quinn derby, leaving the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins as possible landing spots.

The trade, once officially completed, validates the Falcons' commitment to Vick, whom new Atlanta head coach Bobby Petrino told the first time they met, "You're my guy."

Since then, Petrino and Vick have been working together closely on an almost daily basis, prepping for the coming season.

The Falcons, who quietly had been entertaining offers for Schaub this offseason, had tendered their backup quarterback a $2 million offer, meaning that any team that signed him to an offer sheet would have to surrender first- and third-round draft choices to the Falcons. Of course, the Falcons also could always trade Schaub, and that is the course of action the team has pursued.

The Texans will be acquiring a quarterback that has thrown only 161 career passes, 81 of which were completed, with six touchdown passes and six interceptions. But Schaub long has been considered a quarterback worthy of starting, and he was the top bargaining chip the Falcons have.

Now they've decided to cash it in.

PadillaPadillaPadilla - THATS NOT ALL FOLKS

Texans also give up their 2nd rounder next year and they swap positions in the 1st round this year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6594578

So in the end, it's a swap of the first round draft picks, a 2nd rounder this year, and a 2nd rounder next year for a guy who has been a backup his entire career. That's just flat out dumb for Houston, and I like Schaub.

QUOTE(JoeBatterz @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 02:44 PM)
I wonder if this moves the Falcons into the derby for Brady Quinn.

Can they really be serious about committing to Vick?

Quinn completely sucks, so that would be just as dumb. But yes, they are committed to Vick long term, which is great news for the NFC South.

I really dont see why committing to Vick longterm is such a folly.

At what age did Steve Young come into his own as an NFL player?

(the answer is 31)

Vick is 26 and has already been to 3 probowls, Young did not make his first until age 32.

I can see why you would just give up on the most athletically blessed QB to ever set foot in the NFL.

This is a terrible move for the Texans, not only did they mess up wiht Young, they wasted their pick on Carr, and now have wasted more picks on another unproven commodity.

Recipe for disaster.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)
Quinn completely sucks, so that would be just as dumb. But yes, they are committed to Vick long term, which is great news for the NFC South.

I disagree with like every thought in this post.

1) Quinn is easily the best QB in the draft in terms of both being NFL ready today and potential. Arm, accuracy, size, leadership, some mobility - what does he have that teams should be afraid of?

2) Even as a RQB, if you will, Vick is dangerous as hell. And beyond that, Vick isn't the reason the Falcons didn't win last year, it was the defense. 22nd in TYPGa, 29th in PYPGa, and jacks*** for turnovers won't help you win many games. If Petrino can fix the defense, they will be good. If he can't, they won't.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)

1) Quinn is easily the best QB in the draft in terms of both being NFL ready today and potential. Arm, accuracy, size, leadership, some mobility - what does he have that teams should be afraid of?

2) Even as a RQB, if you will, Vick is dangerous as hell. And beyond that, Vick isn't the reason the Falcons didn't win last year, it was the defense. 22nd in TYPGa, 29th in PYPGa, and jacks*** for turnovers won't help you win many games. If Petrino can fix the defense, they will be good. If he can't, they won't.

Bingo. I think people that hate him are the ones that are only looking at the Fantasy numbers. In real life, the guy is very dangerous and propels his team from being very poor to being an NFL caliber looking team. That defense needs to be worked on.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)

He may be the most NFL ready, but as far as potential including size, arm strength and overall athleticness, JaMarcus Russell is head and shoulders above Quinn.

I don't even know why I bother anymore...what with people thinking Troy Smith had better pro prospects that Quinn mid-season, and the general hatred of Brady Quinn, but I'll continue to try. Here's what you need to know about Brady Quinn:

- He's never missed a snap due to injury (although he took a pounding...sacked 89 times in his career).

- Intensely focused on fitness; stays in prime athletic condition

- He's got prototypical size 6'4" and strength (25 reps of 225 at the combine)

- The past two seasons he's had td/int ratios of 32/7 and 37/7 respectively (that's 4.5/1 and about 5/1 for the reduced fractions fans) and completion percentages of 64.9 and 61.9 in those seasons.

- A bit intangible, but the kid is a leader...had been the leader of the ND squad since snap one.

- Has played under the greatest scrutiny a college player can play under for 4 straight years. Psychologically, you have to believe he's ready for the rigorous scrutiny of the NFL...moreso than most other college players.

Simply put, these are the facts.

Talk about "big" games all you want, but his great performances have been discounted (MSU comeback this year, UCLA final drive this year, USC 2005, etc) while ND's large losses have been magnified (Michigan this year, LSU this year, USC this year...even though he single-handedly kept ND in the game as along as he could in the USC game).

Does Russell have tremendous upside? Of course. Cannon Arm. 6'6". 265; Overweight (but that can be fixed). Physically, the potential is there. The only thing physical about him that I find disconcerting is the fact that he showed up to the combine out of shape. This is your life, your career, and you can't get the motivation to leave no doubt? That's a question of desire to me, but I could be picking a nit.

But really, what "big" game has Russell won? Everyone thinks ND is so terrible, and everyone knew ND's defense was awful...but yet that's a "big win"? I call B.S; if Quinn's performances get discounted due to the talent level of competition, why doesn't this apply to Russell?

Let's see, where else has Jamarcus performed in big games? Auburn? Nope...lots of yards, but still a loser (7-3). Florida? Nope, 1 TD to 3 Picks and an 11 pt loss. Tennessee? Arguable, but 3 INTs....I wouldn't call it outstanding. Arkansas? Yep, that's legit. 2 TD no INT, good yardage.

I'm not saying Quinn should be drafted ahead of Russell, but really to say Quinn is garbage is absurd. The discussion around Quinn has been entirely negative, and unrightly so, has shaped negative opinions about him. There has been ZERO negative discussion around Russell. Nothing about his weight, nothing about his track record, yet every single pass thrown and sentence out of Quinn's mouth has been analyzed and overanalyzed until every pundit is blue in the face.

So sure, maybe Russell goes #1 and goes to the Raiders. And maybe Quinn goes somewhere in the top 5-15. Ultimately, it's what's best for Quinn....he's not going to be under the brightest light in football anymore and he goes to a better team. But you can't say Quinn isn't a good quarterback. It's impossible to believe that so many people that watch sports and are knowledgable about sports here actually believe that.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)

First of all, Quinn might end up the best QB, but it won't be because of talent. Russell has more raw talent with a blindfold on and throwing lefty than Quinn does. Second, Quinn in his career didn't have a single good game against legit competition. Every single standout game he had was against garbage, and I've never seen a prospect like that, hence my concern. And if you haven't concluded Michael Vick sucks as a QB yet after all these years, I'm sorry. He's a great tailback, and the best athlete in the NFL, but he can't throw. There is a reason every single WR to ever play with him has looked bad outside of maybe Brian Finneran.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
I really dont see why committing to Vick longterm is such a folly.

At what age did Steve Young come into his own as an NFL player?

(the answer is 31)

Vick is 26 and has already been to 3 probowls, Young did not make his first until age 32.

I can see why you would just give up on the most athletically blessed QB to ever set foot in the NFL.

This is a terrible move for the Texans, not only did they mess up wiht Young, they wasted their pick on Carr, and now have wasted more picks on another unproven commodity.

Recipe for disaster.

Young didn't play nearly as much while very young as Vick, Young was much better than Vick even when he DID play young, outside of in Tampa where everybody sucked, pro bowls are like gold gloves, they don't mean a damn thing, and his athletic ability isn't going to make him throw an accurate ball.

HOWEVER, your 100 percent right about the Texans. To turn Carr, who has never had an OL, into a wasted pick and give up that much for Schaub who, while talented, is unproved, is silly. Based on the merits of what they got alone, this is a good move on paper by Atlanta, even if it means they are expecting Vick to magically gain accuracy after several years of being a scatter arm.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 01:51 AM)
Wow, ND fans sure are sensitive, lulckily you will all be knobbing Claussen soon and will forget that Quinn ever existed. Still Russell has the higher upside, sorry, but its true.

What, your saying 6'6, 260 pounds QB's who can throw the ball 70 yards in the air with some level of accuracy and have actually beaten real defenses and opponents have a better upside than Brady Quinn. ND HATER, GO IRISH 4 LYFE!!!

Claussen sucks too btw, he beat a bunch of crap in HS (ahh a younger Quinn...) but he'll be just like his brothers were in college. Luckily for ND, they have got a stud in Demetrius Jones though, I just hope for their sake he gets a real shot to see the field before Claussen can suck it up enough to ruin a full season.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Really it's a weird deal all round.

I say this because I don't think it really makes sense for both teams.

From Houston's point of view, they're giving up 2 2nd rounders for a QB who's never been a starter yet. They don't have an OL. They don't have much of a running game and no receivers other than Andre Johnson. A QB will not succeed unless you put the right people around him so he can.

I can't see Schuab who's a classic pocket passer turning into Gary Kubiak's version of Jake Plummer, doing well unless they address these factors 1st.

And from Atlanta's point of view, there was a really good article from Foxsports.com about 2 weeks ago about why keeping Schaub made sense. He's a Petrino type of QB. Mike Vick isn't that type of QB, but Schuab was.

So I mean what happens if Vick lays another goose egg this season? Do you keep him? Trade him? Cut him? And what's the contigency plan, because you just traded a QB who could have fit beautifully for the Falcons.

HOWEVER, the Falcons may decide to draft a QB in the 1st couple of rounds now and Petrino can mold him from scratch. And considering the huge needs they have on defense, getting extra draft picks is a good deal for them.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 03:41 AM)
So I mean what happens if Vick lays another goose egg this season? Do you keep him? Trade him? Cut him? And what's the contigency plan, because you just traded a QB who could have fit beautifully for the Falcons.

HOWEVER, the Falcons may decide to draft a QB in the 1st couple of rounds now and Petrino can mold him from scratch. And considering the huge needs they have on defense, getting extra draft picks is a good deal for them.

I think that the Falcons probably would be best to just stick with Vick for at least a couple more years, keep trying to build around him, and see what happens. As others have pointed out...it's not like the team around him has given him a ton of help the last few years, especially on Defense. The one year Mora Jr. Put together a good defense, they worked their way to the NFC Title game.

I still haven't seen them put together a good receiving corps for Vick beyond crumpler, and everyone who coaches Vick seems intent on fitting Vick into a system, making him a pocket passer or whatever, instead of trying to build a system around Vick's talents and the things he's good at, like rolling out of the pocket, running play action, trick plays, etc.

I think the Falcons probably ought to just try to ride Vick's legs until his legs give out.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 01:42 AM)
First of all, Quinn might end up the best QB, but it won't be because of talent. Russell has more raw talent with a blindfold on and throwing lefty than Quinn does. Second, Quinn in his career didn't have a single good game against legit competition. Every single standout game he had was against garbage, and I've never seen a prospect like that, hence my concern. And if you haven't concluded Michael Vick sucks as a QB yet after all these years, I'm sorry. He's a great tailback, and the best athlete in the NFL, but he can't throw. There is a reason every single WR to ever play with him has looked bad outside of maybe Brian Finneran.

I was wrong in saying Quinn has more potential. That doesn't change the fact that he does have the potential to be a top 5 QB in the NFL.

And if you're suggesting I think Vick's a good QB, you're putting words in my mouth. Vick's a horrible QB, but his teams win because of the double threat he presents. He can throw a little, and he can run like a madman, and that's all he needs to do to become a top 5 player in the NFL. All I was saying was that they didn't win last year because the defense was horrible. The last time their defense was good, the Falcons made it to the NFC Championship.

And you don't have to be a WR to catch a ball. Alge sure as hell loves Vick.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 11:30 AM)
Back to the Texans situation...I really thought Sage Rosenfels might have had a chance to start in Houston this year. Apparently, Kubiak loves him, and he's been nothing but megadecent.

Sage is not the Rage heads..