Falcons to trade QB Schaub to Texans

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 01:51 AM)
Wow, ND fans sure are sensitive, lulckily you will all be knobbing Claussen soon and will forget that Quinn ever existed. Still Russell has the higher upside, sorry, but its true.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 01:55 AM)
What, your saying 6'6, 260 pounds QB's who can throw the ball 70 yards in the air with some level of accuracy and have actually beaten real defenses and opponents have a better upside than Brady Quinn. ND HATER, GO IRISH 4 LYFE!!!

Claussen sucks too btw, he beat a bunch of crap in HS (ahh a younger Quinn...) but he'll be just like his brothers were in college. Luckily for ND, they have got a stud in Demetrius Jones though, I just hope for their sake he gets a real shot to see the field before Claussen can suck it up enough to ruin a full season.

What insightful and well-thought out analysis.

Oh and just for clarification's sake:

QUOTE(Fotop @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 09:45 PM)
I'm not saying Quinn should be drafted ahead of Russell, but really to say Quinn is garbage is absurd.

Think that pretty much proves I never said Quinn should be drafted ahead of Russell. That wasn't the point of my post. The point was that everyone craps on Brady Quinn for no legit reason, and like I expected, is a point that will be continually lost on some here.

Btw, which one of you is responsible for this masterpiece? :P

Help me out here......... I follow the NFL only casually and am not a fantasy guy, so my question is:

Who the f*** is Matt Schaub and why is he even remotely close to worth two 1st round picks (plus swapping 1st round slots) and $48 million??? Where did he come from and what has he done?

Unless there is something I am completely missing, this seems like the most absurd deal I have ever heard of.

Somebody make some sense out of this for me, please??

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 11:36 PM)
Help me out here......... I follow the NFL only casually and am not a fantasy guy, so my question is:

Who the f*** is Matt Schaub and why is he even remotely close to worth two 1st round picks (plus swapping 1st round slots) and $48 million??? Where did he come from and what has he done?

Unless there is something I am completely missing, this seems like the most absurd deal I have ever heard of.

Somebody make some sense out of this for me, please??

It's 2 2nd round picks, and basically Kubiak and the Texans feel he would be a top 10 pick if he were to re-enter the draft this year based upon his salary. They feel like they are getting a top 10 QB within the draft quality - meaning an elite prospect - at the cost of 2 positions in the first round, a 2nd rounder this year, and a 2nd rounder next year. If he pans out and is that good, it's a hell of a deal for the Texans; if not, well then it sucks.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 09:36 PM)

Schaub is a 3rd round pick the Falcons got a while ago as a backup to Vick. In the games where Vick has been injured, Schaub ahs come in and impressed a lot of people. In Atlanta, there's been talk for years of trying to turn Vick into a RB/WR because they wanted to do something with Schaub. He has a chance to be really good.

That said...this is still a very high price paid by the Texans...but the Falcons were demanding a high price for Schaub. Personally, I wouldn't have paid it, but it's nto the worst deal in history.

Alright I'm getting pissed.

Everyone talks about what the Texans should have done with the #1 pick last year - "maybe they should have taken Vince Young?" "D'Brickashaw Ferguson" - but what gets me is that I don't recall a single person suggesting they take anyone other than Reggie Bush or Mario Williams at this time last year, nor at any point in time leading up to the draft. Why is everyone looking at this in hindsight and saying what they should have done? No one else was saying they should do it, but now they act like they did and they knew it all along

[/rant]

Just irks me, screw these friggin NFL experts.

I dont know if I said it on this board or another, but I guarantee there are posts where I say that the Texans are fools if they dont draft Vince Young.

It wasnt about talent it was about building a franchise and getting fans, nothing would have solidified Houston more than bringing in an in-state hero.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
I dont know if I said it on this board or another, but I guarantee there are posts where I say that the Texans are fools if they dont draft Vince Young.

It wasnt about talent it was about building a franchise and getting fans, nothing would have solidified Houston more than bringing in an in-state hero.

Yeah lemme tell you, having the worst rated QB in the NFL would have done wonders for the Texans.. Never gonna win s***, but at least the fans have a hometown guy to like for a few years before they get pissed seeing this team NEVER get any better..

Vince Young is garbage in the NFL, sure, he may be able to win a game or two with his legs.. but in the overall he is going to cost the Titans more than they win. The guy cant read a defense, he couldn't read one in college and he damn sure wont be able to read on in the NFL..

At Texas it was call the play, designate ONE WR, if he wasn't open dump it off or run.. you cant do that in the NFL. I cant see the Titans ever being better than 8-8 or 9-7 with Vince Young at QB and thats if the rest of the team plays strong.

The DUMBEST thing Houston did in this situation was not drafting Mario Williams, but not getting at the least a decent offensive line. David Carr is a good QB, but its kind of hard to be any good when you are getting beaten up right off the snap almost every play.

| Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD

Player A | 16 | 233 444 52.5 2592 5.8 9 15 | 59 282 3

Player B| 15 | 184 357 51.5 2199 6.2 12 13 | 83 552 7

Both were rookies, and yet you claim one of them cant read defenses etc, but when you look at the stats you would think that would be the one with the 9-15 pass int ratio, not the 12-13?

I for one do not really see how you can argue Vince Young is not going to be a more capable player in the NFL than David Carr. Young is more dynamic, and in his first season put up a much better td/int ratio than Carr. It actually took Carr 2 seasons to put up a positive TD/Int ratio, and Young's qb rating is almost as good as Carr's in his second year. Unless Young regresses he should be on pace to surpass Carr in almost every statistical category. The only thing Carr will generally have more of is total passing yards because he cant run for s***.

Also a big difference is fumbles and sacks. Carr is just sack prone like none other, where as Young is very difficult to sack. Young was sacked 25 times last year, had 11 fumbles, and lost 3. Carr on the other hand has been sacked, 76, 15, 49, 68, and 49 times. Every season but one he has fumbled 10+ times, and lost 5+ in each of those seasons.

Vince Young alleviates pressure and makes it much more difficult for a team to get sacks. Hence why a team with a poor O-line like the Texans would want a more mobile athletic qb than Carr who is a pocket passer.

So as a recap:

1) Young is not the worst rated QB. In fact he put up a better qb rating than Carr did in his rookie campaign.

2) Young is a winner, some players regardless of stats just know how to win games.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 04:20 PM)
Carr on the other hand has been sacked, 76, 15, 49, 68, and 49 times. Every season but one he has fumbled 10+ times, and lost 5+ in each of those seasons.

You can't honestly say with a straight face that all of those sacks were his fault. Look at his offensive line... what do you want him to do? Plus, when you get hit THAT much, of course you're going to fumble a few times. It's common logic.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 04:20 PM)
1) Young is not the worst rated QB.

True, he was third worst. Bruce Gradkowski and Andrew Walker were worse.

Edited by Felix

No they werent all his fault.

But you would expect improvement.

For example:

Rosenfel's playing for the same team had 1 sack in 39 attempts.

If you divide out Carr's sacks it comes to: 1 sack in 10 attempts.

In 2005, Tony Banks had 25 attempts and 0 sacks.

At what point do you stop making excuses for a player when no other players on that team seem to have the same problems?

Aside from you comparing an EXPANSION season to Vince Youngs first year, I stand by my statements that I made earlier..

And from not only playing against Vince Young in high school, to having to watch Texas every single weekend on TV, and all the Titans games they showed here due to all this.. I have seen and studied plenty to know that Vince Young is terrible at reading defenses.

I have to watch the Texans every Sunday, sadly, and their offensive line is god awful. They are not all on Carr, but the greater amount is on that line. Carr is a good QB, a better QB than Vince Young, but it doesn't matter who the Texans have at QB they would get the same treatment as Carr did.

Carr has started every single game for the Texans except 5, and that was back in 2003. You cant compare him to other QBs when they are getting a fraction of the total snaps he is getting per year. The Texans have NEVER had a good OLine, and they have never done anything in terms of fixing it besides signing cast offs from other teams, they have drafted very poorly on the OLine front as well.

Just the fact that you try to say Carr isn't an athletic QB but more of a pocket passer just puzzles me. I don't expect you to know everything about the Texans and it sucks that I am forced to watch this garbage every Sunday, but Carr is a very athletic QB and has some mobile ability. He is not a stationary pocket presence (Much like I think Schaub is going to end up being now)

As far as Young goes, the guy runs around and makes plays that make you ooh and ahh yet most people wanna look past the fact that he completes about 50% of his passes and makes dumb throws. He is a lesser version of Michael Vick and Vick is not a good QB.

Edited by Shadows

Ive watched Carr since he torched Wisconsin with Berrian.

His problems were always the fact that he was not good under pressure and that he had a low release point. They tried to fix the release point problem but that has led him to have a longer throwing motion and eventually has led to him having more sacks.

If Carr starts this year, I expect him to get sacked a bunch of times regardless of what O-Line he plays behind. He holds the ball, he stares down wr's, and he does not move nearly as well as Vick, Young, McNabb who are the only few qb's that I would not call pocket passers. carr is athletic but not really a threat to run.

I disagree on Young as well. I have watched him plenty of times and feel that he is a winner who makes good decisions on the field. He understands not to force the throw and that is one of the hardest things as a younger player. I feel that he will develop into more of a McNair than a Vick, as Mcnair is more leader less talented. Plus neither throw the ball like Vick does.