Freddy Garcia Thread

TLAK

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 12:00 PM)
Just a thought to throw out there on this. Could it be that Freddy's arm was actually ok when he was traded with the only problem being that it was tired from being overworked? Since it was tired, he may have changed something mechanically that eventually led to this injury. We all know that he was a different pitcher and doing different things last year. Maybe that just caught up to him this year.

I don't know, I'm just throwing something out there and seeing if it will stick.

He also did add that pretty good split finger pitch at the end of last year. New pitch=new problem?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)
He also did add that pretty good split finger pitch at the end of last year. New pitch=new problem?

Possibly, but don't pitchers typically drop down a little to get more break on their splitters? (Heard that on the radio yesterday, but it was from Dusty Baker, so it very well may be wrong :D ). IIRC, that would shift the stress from the rotator cuff to the elbow.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 03:57 PM)
Possibly, but don't pitchers typically drop down a little to get more break on their splitters? (Heard that on the radio yesterday, but it was from Dusty Baker, so it very well may be wrong :D ). IIRC, that would shift the stress from the rotator cuff to the elbow.

A splitter is something that the more over the top you go the better. You pull down on the pitch pretty hard and snap your wrist to get a backspin, that makes the ball drop. On a forkball you spread your fingers out a bit more and dig deeper into the ball more, the spin almost has a knuckleball look to it. Dropping down is not a good idea with a splitter. The more on top of the pitch you are, the more likely you are to get the tumble action you are looking for.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Intentional or not, that made me laugh pretty damn hard.

Thanks. Glad someone caught it.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And as far as this:

I don't think that's the highlight of the trade. I think this is, and always has been, the highlight of the trade.

This is my personal bias, but for some reason I'm not jumping up and down about acquiring a former Sox prospect whose durability and small frame were questioned when he was traded the first time, and he's coming off a mediocre year in AA. Keep in mind that the GM said he would not trade a starter unless the major league team received help. I like Gio, but honestly it never felt like he left and he doesn't help out this 2007 team.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 07:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was? I keep seeing this said, but who offered what players? The only time I saw Crede's name mentioned, it was for Chone Figgins.

The Padres were looking for a third baseman since the last trade deadline. They were rumors or at least talk back in July about the two teams, and San Diego did indeed make a move to acquire a third baseman this offseason.

Garcia to Forego Surgery, attempt rest and rehab.

The Phillies announced the recommendations of orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews late Thursday afternoon, after the pitcher was examined in his Birmingham, Ala., office. Andrews agreed with the Phillies' medical staff in suggesting rest and rehabilitation.

In a statement, assistant general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said. "Both the Phillies' medical staff and Dr. Andrews are in complete agreement that a conservative approach should be taken in regards to Garcia's injury. Garcia will be shut down from throwing for several weeks. At some point, he will begin a tossing program. Both doctors agree that there is some damage to the shoulder, but it's more a product of being a starting pitcher who has logged as many innings as Freddy has over the last several seasons."

Amaro would not be more specific.

"There's no way to categorize what's going to happen to him until he begins a throwing program and we see how he responds," Amaro said.

An MRI exam on Monday revealed "pathology" (abnormalities) of the labrum and some fraying of the rotator cuff, and team doctor Michael Ciccotti mentioned surgery as a last resort for Garcia. The pitcher, as is his right, sought a second opinion and seemed prepared for surgery, especially if it meant he could return to 100 percent health.

Surgery would likely have ended Garcia's brief Phillies career. With a more conservative approach, the team is hopeful that he can provide some return on his $10 million salary, not to mention the prospects (pitchers Gio Gonzalez and Gavin Floyd) that it cost to land him.

The right-hander is 1-5 with a 5.90 ERA in 11 starts. He surrendered six earned runs in 1 2/3 innings in Kansas City, and finally admitted to manager Charlie Manuel that his shoulder was sore.

"Right now, we're optimistic he'll pitch," general manager Pat Gillick said, before Garcia's appointment with Andrews.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 05:24 PM)
Thanks. Glad someone caught it.

This is my personal bias, but for some reason I'm not jumping up and down about acquiring a former Sox prospect whose durability and small frame were questioned when he was traded the first time, and he's coming off a mediocre year in AA. Keep in mind that the GM said he would not trade a starter unless the major league team received help. I like Gio, but honestly it never felt like he left and he doesn't help out this 2007 team.

The Padres were looking for a third baseman since the last trade deadline. They were rumors or at least talk back in July about the two teams, and San Diego did indeed make a move to acquire a third baseman this offseason.

So who were the Padres offering for Crede?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So who were the Padres offering for Crede?

No formal deal was ever proposed.

Another thing on Gio; wasn't his value higher when we traded him the first time compared to when we traded for him?

It's like selling your google stock for $40 a share, then one year later paying $55 for that same stock. It could be worth more in the future, but as soon as you made the buy back you took a loss.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 09:08 AM)

Another thing on Gio; wasn't his value higher when we traded him the first time compared to when we traded for him?

It's like selling your google stock for $40 a share, then one year later paying $55 for that same stock. It could be worth more in the future, but as soon as you made the buy back you took a loss.

Gio has been damn sexy in AA, and yes his value dropped in Philly a bit.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 09:08 AM)

Yes, Gonzalez got exposed in AA Reading with PHI. He had a 4.66 ERA was giving up 5 BB per 9 innings pitched and 24 HRs in 154 innings. I'm not that excited about him putting up good numbers while repeating AA in a pitchers park. If he had his current stats in Charlotte it would be a different story. John Sickels rates him as a B prospect for a reason. People shouldn't confuse Gio with Phil Hughes or Homer Bailey.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
A splitter is something that the more over the top you go the better. You pull down on the pitch pretty hard and snap your wrist to get a backspin, that makes the ball drop. On a forkball you spread your fingers out a bit more and dig deeper into the ball more, the spin almost has a knuckleball look to it. Dropping down is not a good idea with a splitter. The more on top of the pitch you are, the more likely you are to get the tumble action you are looking for.

That what I would've thought. I never threw a splitter when I pitched in high school, but it seems logical that one would get more downward rotation by throwing overhand. I didn't understand what Dusty was talking about, but gave him the benefit of the doubt. I won't make that mistake again.