Baltimore claims Sean Tracey

Butter Parque

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Butter Parque @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 02:44 PM)
He got claimed on waivers, so there ends that prospect's journey in White Sox Country.

was he that bad? or maybe it was never going to work out for him here, esp. after what happend last year..

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 03:02 PM)
I have to believe the two are McCArthy and Tracey, the other is Anderson.

you think Tracey is in the same talent category as McCarthy and Anderson? or are you implying some sort of devious ozzie guillen plan to get rid of players he personally doesn't like?

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)
you think Tracey is in the same talent category as McCarthy and Anderson? or are you implying some sort of devious ozzie guillen plan to get rid of players he personally doesn't like?

I think it's clearly the latter.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 03:04 PM)

I'm not implying anything. I'm answering a question directed towards Fathom. I could be misinterpreting his post, but I doubt it.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 08:06 PM)
I'm not implying anything. I'm answering a question directed towards Fathom. I could be misinterpreting his post, but I doubt it.

I would have corrected you if you were wrong. I think it's safe to say that it's not wise to get in Ozzie's doghouse.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(Butter Parque @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 01:44 PM)
He got claimed on waivers, so there ends that prospect's journey in White Sox Country.

What type of waivers? If it's revocable, the Sox can take Tracey off of waivers and keep him in the organization.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 01:10 PM)
Can somebody explain--I know, mea culpa--how waivers works?

Does it mean that basically we have a claim to a player, but if we put him on waivers, we're giving up that claim and anybody can try and get him?

Not sure of every last detail, but I can infer this much. Last year, Sean Tracey was placed on the White Sox 40 man roster, thus using up a roster spot. When we signed Erstad, we filled up the last available slot on our 40 man. Every player on the 25 man roster must also be on hte 40 man. Right now, even Danks is not on the 40 man...you don't need to be put on there for some time after you're drafted/signed.

Since the Sox had no room on the 40 man, if they wanted Danks to start the season with the big club, someone would have to be removed from the 40 man. To remove a player from the 40 man roster, the player must first pass through waivers if he is to stay within your system. When placed on waivers, each team, going in order of record at the time/during the previous season, has the right to claim that player with no appreciable cost. If no team claims a player, he can be taken off the 40 man and sent back to your minor league organization. If some other team claims the player, he's theirs.

There's a lot more details that come into things when you start getting contracts involved for guys who've been in the majors for a while, but I think that's the basics of it.