Baltimore claims Sean Tracey

Butter Parque

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Annoyed that we couldn't even get some sort of mid level prospect for him.

Considering the huge needs a lot of teams have bullpen help at the moment, and Tracey is someone who can potentially help a team's pen right now, we should have done better.

But it's no suprise he's not here anymore, which is a bit sad when you thnk about it, just because of 1 thing he didn't do.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 07:34 PM)

Considering the huge needs a lot of teams have bullpen help at the moment, and Tracey is someone who can potentially help a team's pen right now, we should have done better.

But it's no suprise he's not here anymore, which is a bit sad when you thnk about it, just because of 1 thing he didn't do.

I'm sure that plays a part but the kid sucks. He can't throw strikes to save his life.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 08:34 PM)

I'm sure the fact that he was awful didn't have anything to do with it.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 02:00 PM)
I'm sure the fact that he was awful didn't have anything to do with it.

How is he awful? He's got very good stuff for a reliever, with that fastball of his and he deserves a chance somewhere.

If Tracey is awful, does that make Matt Thornton awful before he came to us, because he has great stuff but no control whatsoever either. And Thornton shows you that in the right situation and with the right coaching (who knows what Leo Mazzone will do to Tracey), you can succeed.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 03:12 AM)
How is he awful? He's got very good stuff for a reliever, with that fastball of his and he deserves a chance somewhere.

If Tracey is awful, does that make Matt Thornton awful before he came to us, because he has great stuff but no control whatsoever either. And Thornton shows you that in the right situation and with the right coaching (who knows what Leo Mazzone will do to Tracey), you can succeed.

Tracey has a 91/92 mph fastball with no control. He won't be making any major league team. Tracey's stuff isn't on the same planet as that of Thornton. That would be like comparing Buehrle's stuff to Santana's stuff.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 09:14 PM)
Tracey has a 91/92 mph fastball with no control. He won't be making any major league team. Tracey's stuff isn't on the same planet as that of Thornton. That would be like comparing Buehrle's stuff to Santana's stuff.

Not that Sean is good, but a 92 mph fastball will get you on a lot of major league bullpens nowadays. Or perhaps you'd prefer Rocky Cherry?

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 04:20 AM)
Not that Sean is good, but a 92 mph fastball will get you on a lot of major league bullpens nowadays. Or perhaps you'd prefer Rocky Cherry?

A 92 mph that you have no control over won't do you any good. I haven't seen Cherry lately, but I'm sure he's like all the other Cubs relievers with a strong fastball and slider.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 10:14 PM)

He's sort of like the present version of Bobby Jenks.

I'm a little higher on Tracey than you are, but he if he is to be successful, chances are it wouldn't be with a team run by Ozzie Guillen. He gets to go work with Mazzone, he may find some sort of success.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 02:14 PM)

I know he was in the mid 90's for a while, and he actually decreased his fastball a little so he could try to get better control.

Tracey caught everyone attenton in 2004 with his mid-90s fastball. He took a step back last year, as he saw his velocity drop to the low 90s, although he showed improved command on his way to a league-leading 14 wins in a 14-7, 4.07 for Double-A Birmingham. He said his velocity still isn't where he'd like it to be at this point, but his fastball still sits in the low 90s. While he's made strides with his secondary pitches--particularly his slider

Personally I think he's just gettin sold short here, and it wouldn't suprise me at all if he became a capable reliever.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 08:14 PM)

He would have made our pen here in Arizona that I could Guarantee.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 07:34 PM)

Hes garbage, cant throw strikes or fool anyone at the big league level. His delivery is horrendous.