Major League Baseball Reaches a New Low?

Kalapse

In a continued effort to become the most loathsome human being on the face of the earth, Bud Selig and the Major League Baseball Head Offices have decided to spit in the face of some cancer ridden Children.

Biggio angry over cancer kids pin flap

By KRISTIE RIEKEN, AP Sports Writer

March 22, 2007

KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) -- Craig Biggio was angry at the commissioner's office Thursday night after he was told to stop wearing a pin on his cap that bears the logo of a foundation that helps children with cancer.

The Houston Astros star said he has worn the bright yellow, sun-shaped pin, featuring the logo for the Sunshine Kids foundation, on his hat during spring training games for the past 20 years without a problem. He is the national spokesman for the foundation and is very active in its work.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I'm not a disrespectful person and I don't disrespect the game," Biggio said. "But I've been wearing this pin for 20 years because it puts smiles on 20,000-something cancer patients' faces."

Biggio said someone in the commissioner's office contacted the Astros about instructing him to remove the pin, but he wasn't sure who it was. He said Houston general manager Tim Purpura was sent a fax with a picture of Biggio from Wednesday night's game.

Purpura declined to comment on the matter, as did a spokesman for Major League Baseball.

"Major League Baseball does a lot of good things, but this is one of the stupid things," Biggio said.

His comments came after he left Houston's 16-2 loss to the Washington Nationals on Thursday night.

The 41-year-old second baseman, who is 70 hits shy of 3,000, said he wears the pin in spring training because many of the pictures for baseball cards are taken during those games and the children like seeing the pin on those cards.

"That's what it's about," he said. "If somebody wants to sit in an office and feel good about themselves, they should feel real bad about this one. They didn't think about all the cancer kids that get enjoyment out of it."

Biggio said he was told before the game that he couldn't wear the pin, and the umpires approached him on the field to make sure it was gone.

Astros manager Phil Garner was also unsure who contacted the team about the pin.

"The league has a code where they watch what's on the uniforms and I don't know the full extent of it, but evidently the Sunshine Kids pin is not part of it," he said.

As for the game, Astros starter Chris Sampson, vying for the fifth spot in the rotation, allowed 12 hits and 10 runs in 2 1-3 innings. He gave up a home run in the first to Jesus Flores.

Ryan Church had three hits, including a home run, and five RBIs to lead the Nationals. Washington starter Jerome Williams allowed two runs and two hits in five innings.

"This was probably one of the best times I've thrown all spring," he said. "I got the ball down, working breaking balls and getting people out like I'm supposed to do. I felt real confident on the mound."

Williams was also happy with his hitting. The career .110 hitter had three hits and scored twice.

Notes

Astros 3B Morgan Ensberg was replaced in the third inning after being hit once by a pitch and another time by a batted ball. Garner said Ensberg was bruised but OK.

Updated on Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 11:56 pm EDT

More Information:

http://www.sunshinekids.org/who-we-are/spokesperson.htm

http://deadspin.com/sports/craig-biggio/cr...ents-246832.php

http://www.foulballs.net/2007/03/bud-selig...-no-is-for.html

http://ladiesdotdotdot.wordpress.com/2007/...ball-boyfriend/

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)
He should've kept it on in protest.

But they might've banned him from the game.

It's a Spring Training game and Biggio is nearly 40 he has no use for such games so I wouldn't have blamed him one bit if he decided to go that route, of course Craig Biggio is far too classy to ever do such a thing since he would see it as disrespecting his employer and letting down his teammates.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 01:21 PM)
Also: MLB might've banned him from the game. :P

and by "from the game," I don't mean "from the game" I mean from "The Game."

Eh, I don't really read any of the Pete Rose threads so your Pete Rose jab didn't show through in that post initially.

Not to be the bad guy here, but if you allow something as little as this to happen, it's going to open up the floodgates for other stuff.

This has been going on for a long time in sports.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 05:33 PM)
Not to be the bad guy here, but if you allow something as little as this to happen, it's going to open up the floodgates for other stuff.

I agree, the league dress code is there for a reason and allowing one thing to be done could set precedents for others to do whatever they want with their uniforms. Except Biggio has been doing this for the past 20 years, to just now decide that enough is enough is a f***ing joke. If the commissioner's office has such a problem with this then it should never have been allowed to begin with.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 01:15 PM)
It's a Spring Training game and Biggio is nearly 40 he has no use for such games so I wouldn't have blamed him one bit if he decided to go that route, of course Craig Biggio is far too classy to ever do such a thing since he would see it as disrespecting his employer and letting down his teammates.

Would his teammates really be let down or the organization disrespected considering the cause he's promoting?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 05:33 PM)

Particularly football.

I'm not familiar with what the punishment would be in baseball, though. But it would've been impressive if he took the fine, assuming it's just a fine, while continuing to champion and bring more publicity and awareness to the cause. Kinda like Jordan paying the fine to wear his black and red Air Jordan Is, but for a greater cause. Nobody hated Jordan for it, and I don't see who would dislike biggio for it considering what the pin represents and how long he's been doing it, assuming the penalty is just a fine. But either way, he seems like a classy guy, and respecting the sport that pays you by following the rules is commendable too.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 01:33 PM)
Would his teammates really be let down or the organization disrespected considering the cause he's promoting?

Particularly football.

I'm not familiar with what the punishment would be in baseball, though. But it would've been impressive if he took the fine, assuming it's just a fine, while continuing to champion and bring more publicity and awareness to the cause. Kinda like Jordan paying the fine to wear his black and red Air Jordan Is, but for a greater cause. Nobody hated Jordan for it, and I don't see who would dislike biggio for it considering what the pin represents and how long he's been doing it, assuming the penalty is just a fine. But either way, he seems like a classy guy, and respecting the sport that pays you by following the rules is commendable too.

His teammates would not have seen it that way but Biggio would have.

Craig wouldn't have been allowed to play with the pin on his hat, the umpires actually went out and examined Biggio before the game, if he were wearing it and refused to take it off, they would have removed him from the playing field.