Boone Logan: Mr. March? + Bullpen thoughts

maggsmaggs

10.0 innings, no runs given up, 4 hits, 2 walks, 7 k's. Well is he gonna become a fixture this year or is going to be annointed Mr. March? I really think this is the year he finds it, I mean his stuff is good and his delivery is deceptive, so he's got a lot going for him and might not be just a LOOGY.

Bullpen this year:

Cl- Jenks (but clearly on a short leash now)

SU- Thorton (pretty stong spring)

SU- MacDougal (stuff is there evident by good k numbers in ST)

MR-Logan (he deserves it)

MR-Sisco (yeah three lefties, but lefty/righty you gotta go with the best pitchers and Sisco is good now)

LR-Massett (he's got a power arm and a power curve, former starter can go multiple innings and most importantly KW loves him, so he gets the last spot)

Left Out:

Aardsma: terrible spring, needs to start in AAA

Russell: solid spring, great stuff, but needs a little more grooming IMO, should be kept a starter, too

Floyd: assuming Danks is the fifth starter, Floyd should be in AAA starting and getting a better grasp on his stuff, not fit for relief and certainly no better than Massett or Logan right now)

Day: yes, Dewon Day, not many people know of him, but he has got a sick slider and getting better at commanding his mid 90's fastball, could start the year in AAA and be in Chicago sooner or later. Watch out, he is gonna turn some heads.

Haeger: Too inconsistent with the knucker this spring, part of it could be thin air, needs to go to AAA to prove it was just a thin air thing, should put solid numbers up starting in AAA and will be called up first for a spot start.

Your guys thoughts?

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 07:34 PM)
Replace Sisco with Haeger and I'm with you. We don't need 3 lefties. I think Sisco would serve us better being groomed to start.

Agreed, Haeger's value will be in eating innings out of the pen. Sisco needs time in AAA.

From today's Daily Southtown:

"Guillen confirmed that Nick Masset is a lock for the bullpen, leaving David Aardsma, Charlie Haeger, Gavin Floyd, Andrew Sisco, Boone Logan and Adam Russell competing for two spots.

Sisco allowed one run in 1 1/3 innings in Saturday's "A" game vs. Arizona, while Aardsma gave up three runs on six hits in the minor league game."

IMO, the two remaining bullpen guys will be Sisco and Haeger. Sisco has had a decent enough spring and has proven he can get major league hitters out, esp in 2005. And he can go more than 1 inning at a time. Boone is a one inning guy.

Haeger has the versatility that no one else in this mix has. He can pitch 3,4 innings and eat innings. And he's proven in 2006 he can handle throwing in the bigs. The sox had said going into spring that his knuckler probably wasn't going to do much in ARIz. They should go by his September 2006 rather than his March 2007.

Floyd hasn't thrown from the bullpen. He and Russell should be starting in AAA. Aarsdma and Logan then would be the sox first two bullpen call up options.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 07:17 AM)
From today's Daily Southtown:

"Guillen confirmed that Nick Masset is a lock for the bullpen, leaving David Aardsma, Charlie Haeger, Gavin Floyd, Andrew Sisco, Boone Logan and Adam Russell competing for two spots.

Sisco allowed one run in 1 1/3 innings in Saturday's "A" game vs. Arizona, while Aardsma gave up three runs on six hits in the minor league game."

IMO, the two remaining bullpen guys will be Sisco and Haeger. Sisco has had a decent enough spring and has proven he can get major league hitters out, esp in 2005. And he can go more than 1 inning at a time. Boone is a one inning guy.

Haeger has the versatility that no one else in this mix has. He can pitch 3,4 innings and eat innings. And he's proven in 2006 he can handle throwing in the bigs. The sox had said going into spring that his knuckler probably wasn't going to do much in ARIz. They should go by his September 2006 rather than his March 2007.

Floyd hasn't thrown from the bullpen. He and Russell should be starting in AAA. Aarsdma and Logan then would be the sox first two bullpen call up options.

What makes you believe Boone is just a one inning guy? I could easily see him working more than that.

I would take Haeger who could also serve as an emergency starter. Russell is very intriguing, but I assume he could use a little seasoning in the minors. The rest of the guys need to log some innings and gain experience.

Edited by RME JICO

i think Haeger and Logan should get the last spots. Logan proved last year he can go more than one inning; and last year once Charlie was called up he was very successful out of the pen.

Sisco should be stretched out to start and challenge for a spot in the rotation next year. Aardsma is the first one called up provided hes doing well.

I've got zero faith in Sisco. Seen too much of his gas-can act in the KC bullpen, often against us.

CAn't throw strikes -- so he walks people or gets behind in the count and throws meatballs.

Send him to triple A, figure out what is wrong and see if it's fixable.

he's worth being a project, but he ain't ready to help right now.

Logan had the position given to him last year and bombed. If he gets it gain for 2007 I only hope he isn't a spring training Cy Young and flops again. But at 10 scoreless he is leading the other lefties at the least. So he earns it and maybe Sisco

All Boone needs to do is throw strikes. He was clearly scared last year, especially after Hafner destroyed that ball, and was trying to throw the perfect pitch every time. He has the stuff to make it and be one very good reliever, I think. He just needs to not fall behind every hitter.