Haeger to AAA

jasonxctf

Haegar was optioned to AAA Charlotte.

White Sox optioned RHP Charlie Haeger to Triple-A Charlotte and reassigned RHP Adam Russell to minor league camp.

We prefer Haeger to both John Danks and Gavin Floyd, but he was an underdog for a rotation spot going in and he didn't move up while allowing 12 earned runs in 12 1/3 innings. He'll probably be needed by May or June, perhaps as a reliever at first.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would've liked to have him up at least with the bullpen to be a change of pace. Nothing like trying to hit a knuckler than 98-100mph of pure heat.

I get so tired of seeing this line of thought.

Unless the relievers are getting rocked, the batters aren't going to face the same reliever more than once.

Our 9th inning guy is Jenks, and our 8th inning guys are Thornton and MacDougal. So Haeger comes into the 7th at the latest, probably relieving one of our non-flamethrowing starter.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 08:24 PM)
I get so tired of seeing this line of thought.

Unless the relievers are getting rocked, the batters aren't going to face the same reliever more than once.

Our 9th inning guy is Jenks, and our 8th inning guys are Thornton and MacDougal. So Haeger comes into the 7th at the latest, probably relieving one of our non-flamethrowing starter.

Yes, but several of the bullpen guys pitch high 90's.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 08:11 PM)
We prefer Haeger to both John Danks and Gavin Floyd,

So did I. Haeger really dissapointed me. I still feel like he's our best option. But he didn't back it up. That was my pick to win the spot and be a surprising player for us but it looks like Danks has that opportunity.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 08:41 PM)

Supposedly. I think that's pretty overrated though, the different look. These guys are pretty much geared up for the gas anyway. Seeing a knuckleballer 15 or 20 minutes earlier isn't going to mean much IMO. I wish Haeger was on the team because at least if you don't want him as the fifth starter, which I feel he is the one with the best chance of succeeding in 2007, he has to be a better option in the bullpen than Floyd. I guess you have to have someone on the roster that you got for one of your starters after telling everyone how wrong they were that said player was a bust.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 08:34 PM)
So It looks like Floyd to the 'pen.

i still think Floyd goes to AAA, he still has an option right? The pen is gonna look like this:

Jenks, Thorton, Mac, Massett, Logan and Sisco, yeah 3 lefties, but they are pitching better than the righties.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what?

Assime Haeger comes into the game in the 7th, after another flame throwing reliever, that means our starter didn't go 6 innings and the Sox probably aren't winning the game.

Just think of the order. If players 1,2,3 come up in the 6th inning to face another reliever other than Haeger, what are the odds those same three players will see Haeger in the game?

Either the reliver in the 6th has to have the team nearly bat around on him (which probably means he Sox aren't winning or just blew the lead,) or that some how Haeger will be used in the 8th or 9th inning. Very doubtful.

Lets say Aardsma makes the bullpen and Sisco and Floyd are both sent down. Sisco would most likely be a starter, correct? We would have probably 7 starters in AAA...

Phillips, Haeger, Gio, Sisco, Floyd, Broadway, Russell?, I know I am forgetting someone.

Floyd doesn't deserve a spot in the bullpen. It's ridiculous, and I'm betting such a decision is Williams way of proving the Garcia trade provided us with an immediate piece for 2007. Several of our scouts should be holding their collars, as it is.

Some of you will doubt this, but honestly -- is the spring training performances between the two pitchers really that different? In about four more innings pitched Floyd has given up three more earned runs, four more hits, three more walks, and one additional strikeout.

Yes, Floyd will limit stolen bases and past balls far better than Haeger; but he won't be as durable, or as better overall.

I just hope if the final decision is made to give Floyd a bullpen position, and he's absolutely killing us come midseason, he's sent down to Charlotte until September. The major leagues isn't an area for someone such as Gavin to revive his career. It just irritates me to think about this. Seriously, if Haeger is almost equaling Floyd in Arizona with a knuckleball, what does that say about Gavin?

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 07:53 PM)
I can't imagine that KW is satisfied with the bullpen the way it is right now. I'm still trying to find out how we managed to not upgrade at either offense, defense, starting or relief pitching this offseason.

But we have a lot of AA pitchers locked up for 2009. And Floyd's arm angle has never looked better!

QUOTE(Friend of Nordhagen @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:12 AM)
But we have a lot of AA pitchers locked up for 2009. And Floyd's arm angle has never looked better!

The thing about all the young guys we traded for is that only Danks has a legitimate chance to be anything more than a 4th starter in his career.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 10:13 PM)
The thing about all the young guys we traded for is that only Danks has a legitimate chance to be anything more than a 4th starter in his career.

Which, honestly, we have enough of.

If Williams deals an additional veteran next offseason for a package anywhere close to the Garcia deal I may lose my mind. Especially if it's similar to this year where a comparable pitcher commands a far better return.