Haeger to AAA

jasonxctf

QUOTE(wcw2323 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 10:28 AM)
There's a story in the Tribune regarding the Rockies GM being interested in Charlie. Apparently they have offered up a back up catcher in exchange. That would be great for Charlie and Kenny. Since CO is a National League team, Charlie couldn't come back to haunt him! Charlie could step into their rotation.

Yorvit Torrealba? He's 28 years old and hits lefties at about the same clip as Hall, they're actually very similar players.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 09:07 AM)
Yorvit Torrealba? He's 28 years old and hits lefties at about the same clip as Hall, they're actually very similar players.

I would really dislike the concept of dealing away Charlie and only getting a backup catcher in return. I know Knuckleballers don't have a very high value in trades...but that's why I think trading him before he does anything in the big leagues is a bad idea.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 11:24 AM)
I would really dislike the concept of dealing away Charlie and only getting a backup catcher in return. I know Knuckleballers don't have a very high value in trades...but that's why I think trading him before he does anything in the big leagues is a bad idea.

Agreed.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)
We're not going to be trading for a back-up catcher until we know Hall is out for the year.

And Agreed.

I was just lending a name to the erroneous mention of a "backup catcher" in the initial post.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 09:26 AM)
We're not going to be trading for a back-up catcher until we know Hall is out for the year.

Oh, I could add that I would be much happier to see Heath Phillips moved for a backup catcher than Charlie. Heath is nearly out of options I'm told, so it would be nice to get something for him before the start of next season.

QUOTE(wcw2323 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 09:28 AM)
There's a story in the Tribune regarding the Rockies GM being interested in Charlie. Apparently they have offered up a back up catcher in exchange. That would be great for Charlie and Kenny. Since CO is a National League team, Charlie couldn't come back to haunt him! Charlie could step into their rotation.

What in the world are you talking about? This isnt f***ing charity, its baseball. The White Sox have no obligation to move Charlie somewhere else because he didnt make the team this year, especially if its for less than market value. There is a Players Union and a Collective Bargaining Agreement that sets standards for service time. The White Sox are following these guidelines and have every right to hang on to Haeger and keep him wherever they please until he runs out of options.

You're absolutely right, the Sox aren't obligated to do anything with him and can let him continue at the AAA level. But, if the Sox aren't high on him, for whatever reason, then they should move him to fill a hole in the back up catchers role. Charlie's value is at it's highest right now, who knows how he will do this year. He may put up terrific numbers again (for the third straight year), or he may become an average performer. I do know this. If he was a traditional fastball, curve, slider, change-up pitcher he would be in Chicago, not AAA. He has the best record in minor league baseball the last two years and there are teams who would love to have him in their rotation, so why not move him now to get some value in return?

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 12:47 PM)
There were some minor league experts that were claiming Haeger be a great player for some team to trade for this offseason, as the Sox weren't that high on him, but he's very projectable as a knuckler.

QUOTE(wcw2323 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 12:21 PM)
Charlie's value is at it's highest right now, who knows how he will do this year.

I really disagree with this. Charlie is a knuckleballer. Consequently, his value is a lot lower than what it would be if he put up an ERA of 3 in AAA last year but was throwing 96.

Because people don't know how to evaluate knuckleballers, their value is always going to be depressed until they prove themselves against big leaguers. He has plenty of room for his value to go up, by either putting togehter another solid season, cutting down on the walks, or getting some wins at the big leagle level.

That doesn't make any sense. What difference does it make if he throws 96 or 68...as long as he wins? I'll guarantee you that he will have a longer career than any flame thrower. Charlie eats up innings, and has the best record in the minors the last two years. You are under valuing based on your perception. The reality is that he was 14-6 with an ERA around 3.00 last year, started the AAA All-Star game, and has nothing more to prove in AAA. He has a high ceiling since he's only 23. Charlie Hough said he's the best knuckler since Wakefield. The only difference is that he's much younger than when Wake broke into the bigs.

Charlie deserves the chance to be a part of a major club based on his performance the past two years...period. If the Sox aren't high on him, then move him to a club that appreciates what he has to offer.

The response of "because people don't know how to evaluate a knuckler" is crazy. How about evaluating won-loss records for the last two years (28-11)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 04:23 PM)
I really disagree with this. Charlie is a knuckleballer. Consequently, his value is a lot lower than what it would be if he put up an ERA of 3 in AAA last year but was throwing 96.

Because people don't know how to evaluate knuckleballers, their value is always going to be depressed until they prove themselves against big leaguers. He has plenty of room for his value to go up, by either putting togehter another solid season, cutting down on the walks, or getting some wins at the big leagle level.

QUOTE(wcw2323 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 06:49 PM)
That doesn't make any sense. What difference does it make if he throws 96 or 68...as long as he wins? I'll guarantee you that he will have a longer career than any flame thrower. Charlie eats up innings, and has the best record in the minors the last two years. You are under valuing based on your perception. The reality is that he was 14-6 with an ERA around 3.00 last year, started the AAA All-Star game, and has nothing more to prove in AAA. He has a high ceiling since he's only 23. Charlie Hough said he's the best knuckler since Wakefield. The only difference is that he's much younger than when Wake broke into the bigs.

Charlie deserves the chance to be a part of a major club based on his performance the past two years...period. If the Sox aren't high on him, then move him to a club that appreciates what he has to offer.

The response of "because people don't know how to evaluate a knuckler" is crazy. How about evaluating won-loss records for the last two years (28-11)

Whether it's fair or not, the reality is that baseball teams don't prize a knuckleball pitcher anywhere near as highly as they prize a guy with a great fastball even if the knuckleball pitcher puts up better numbers. What do you think would happen if you tried to offer up Charlie Haeger for Philip Hughes? You'd be laughed out of the room. That's just the reality.

But, the fact is, that is why I don't want to trade him. He went 28-11 in teh last 2 years. He eats innings. He put up an ERA of 3 last year. He's very very cheap. And most importantly, I think it would be impossible to get equal value for a performer of his caliber entirely because of the pitch he mainly features.

He may have very little left to prove in AAA, you are correct. But Personally, I don't expect him to be stuck there for all that long. He'll be in the big leagues soon enough. He doesn't "Deserve" anything yet, any more than any minor leaguer deserves to be in the rotation when someone outpitches them. But rest assured, he'll get his shot soon.

Looks like Haeger's getting his knuckler under control. He threw another scoreless inning with a K today. That's three straight against the Rockies. The team rumored to be interested in him.....

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 10:19 PM)
Whether it's fair or not, the reality is that baseball teams don't prize a knuckleball pitcher anywhere near as highly as they prize a guy with a great fastball even if the knuckleball pitcher puts up better numbers. What do you think would happen if you tried to offer up Charlie Haeger for Philip Hughes? You'd be laughed out of the room. That's just the reality.

But, the fact is, that is why I don't want to trade him. He went 28-11 in teh last 2 years. He eats innings. He put up an ERA of 3 last year. He's very very cheap. And most importantly, I think it would be impossible to get equal value for a performer of his caliber entirely because of the pitch he mainly features.

He may have very little left to prove in AAA, you are correct. But Personally, I don't expect him to be stuck there for all that long. He'll be in the big leagues soon enough. He doesn't "Deserve" anything yet, any more than any minor leaguer deserves to be in the rotation when someone outpitches them. But rest assured, he'll get his shot soon.

QUOTE(wcw2323 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 08:49 PM)

Who knows if he will be a great major leaguer, he could be great he could be nothing. But why for the love of god would the sox get rid of him for spare parts. Remember the great Felix Diaz and how he dominated AAA and won 17 games I think there one year, and then got dismembered on the mound by the indians. I like Charlie, and him not being on the team is not going to keep me from sleeping at night. He will get his chance, so unless you are a member of his family you should only care for what helps the whitesox the most.