Phil Rogers Article

G&T

Some really good stuff about Danks

This spring I've asked executives and scouts from other organizations how they see McCarthy, and the consensus is that he looks like a middle- or even a back-of-the-rotation guy, not the kind of guy you build a rotation around.

The scouts who know Danks seem higher on him, even though his fastball is similarly in the low-90s. He's left-handed, his curveball can be a weapon and his intangibles are almost off the chart.

According to a major-league source, the Tigers targeted Danks as a player they had to have in any trade talks with the Rangers last winter. But whenever his name came up, the Rangers asked for somebody like Jeremy Bonderman or Joel Zumaya.

One of their scouts was stunned when he heard the White Sox had been able to get him for McCarthy.

Rogers

At least he admits to possibly being wrong. It's a good article.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My question is why is this all coming out now? Is it because Danks surprising won the 5th job, and McCarthy has been awful this Spring? Or did Rogers just stumble onto this new information?

It states in the article that he asked scouts this spring:

This spring I've asked executives and scouts from other organizations how they see McCarthy, and the consensus is that he looks like a middle- or even a back-of-the-rotation guy, not the kind of guy you build a rotation around. The scouts who know Danks seem higher on him, even though his fastball is similarly in the low-90s. He's left-handed, his curveball can be a weapon and his intangibles are almost off the chart.

According to a major-league source, the Tigers targeted Danks as a player they had to have in any trade talks with the Rangers last winter. But whenever his name came up, the Rangers asked for somebody like Jeremy Bonderman or Joel Zumaya.

The scouts who know Danks seem higher on him, even though his fastball is similarly in the low-90s. He's left-handed, his curveball can be a weapon and his intangibles are almost off the chart.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The article mentioned how Garcia was topping out at 85mph.

I'm glad KW is the GM and not some of the nay saying posters who didn't like that trade.

But we could have should have gotten sooooo much back in return for him! Didn't you see all the possible trades Kenny had to choose from for a guy with an 85 MPH fastball?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:17 AM)
Wow, either one of two things happened. Either we way underrated McCarthy, or the Rangers have way overrated him. If they were asking for Bonderman or Zumaya from Detroit and we got him AND Masset AND Rasner for him? Wow.

The Rangers have way overrated him. Same as SoxTalk did.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 11:16 AM)
The Rangers have way overrated him. Same as SoxTalk did.
It looks like a classic example of perspectives. The Rangers undervalued Danks and Massett while overvaluing BMac. That is why this trade came out of nowhere. The Rangers approached KW with an offer that was off the charts in terms of valuation.

The crazy thing is the Sox will have their 5th starter and one reliever on the opening day roster by only giving up BMac. This deal almost becomes a head shaker if you are looking at it from a Texas point of view. Not only about the actual personnel, but even other things like BMac having more service time, etc.

Edited by RME JICO

Based on Danks' performance, this will probably be a great trade for us. Now factor in that Masset could be quite solid out of the pen this season and a future starter... and I think the Sox are clear winners given their players can stay healthy.

I never understood why people didn't like this trade up here. At the time, the people in Texas thought they were fleeced, I thought we fleeced them, most of us here even thought that I think. This won't be George Bell for Sammy Sosa esque, but it will be a trade Texas regrets a lot.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 09:59 AM)
I never understood why people didn't like this trade up here. At the time, the people in Texas thought they were fleeced, I thought we fleeced them, most of us here even thought that I think. This won't be George Bell for Sammy Sosa esque, but it will be a trade Texas regrets a lot.

I think McCarthy was a board favorite. Who knows, maybe he ever partied with some of the regulars here.

:aussie:

QUOTE(Wedge @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 10:58 AM)
Based on Danks' performance, this will probably be a great trade for us. Now factor in that Masset could be quite solid out of the pen this season and a future starter... and I think the Sox are clear winners given their players can stay healthy.

I know Danks should start working on his HOF induction speech, but everyone is basing their giddiness on 16 sspring training innings. McCarthy was even more impressive in the spring of 2005. We all may want to keep that in mind.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 09:47 AM)
:aussie:

I know Danks should start working on his HOF induction speech, but everyone is basing their giddiness on 16 sspring training innings. McCarthy was even more impressive in the spring of 2005. We all may want to keep that in mind.

And McCarthy wound up being a key to the White Sox making the postseason with some of his games down the stretch. McCarthy also went face to face with Johan 2 days after the Rally Crede game and left after 8 innings with the game knotted at 1.