Fantasy Advice

NCsoxfan

Its almost time for my fantasy draft, and I am turning to the experts here at Soxtalk for advice!

I would love some input from everyone on the following categories:

1. This years potential Liriano's

2. Players on the decline - stay away from

3. Comeback players

4. Solid players that you can draft in late rounds.

5. New closers

6. Underrated / Overrated players

Also, I am in a keeper league, and we get to keep two players. Which two would you guys keep out of all these: A-Rod, Vernon Wells, Jason Bay, Roy Oswalt, Maggs

Cmon.

We're just teasing.

1. This years potential Liriano's - Tim Lincecum (in AAA to start), Alex Gordon.

2. Players on the decline - stay away from - Freddy Garcia, Andruw Jones.

3. Comeback players - Alex Rios, Sammy Sosa, Todd Helton, CC Sabathia.

4. Solid players that you can draft in late rounds. - David Ross, Adrian Gonzalez, Chuck James, Ricky Nolasco, Connor Jackson, Akinori Iwamura.

5. New closers - Jose Valverde, Joel Zumaya, Nolasco (closers this early are speculation)

6. Underrated / Overrated players - Underrated - Rios, Overrated - Ryan Howard.

Also, I am in a keeper league, and we get to keep two players. Which two would you guys keep out of all these: A-Rod, Vernon Wells, Jason Bay, Roy Oswalt, Maggs

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 11:09 AM)

3. Comeback players

5. New closers

for #3 I Piazza might fall under that. He's in the AL now, so he still qualifies as catcher, but should be getting regular at bats.

for #6, I believe Colorado named the rookie SS as a starter, so that might be worth a flier

I find it hard to draft 1B's.

There are so many that hit for HR's and RBI's, and it makes me wonder if there is a huge difference b/t a top 5 1B and a 10-15 1B...

For instance, if there is a run on 1B early, do you wait, or try and jump on the train?

Every draft, that seems to happen with a certain position

I drafted Helton in the 14th/15th.

Jackson fell to the 16th/17th.

Gonzalez to the 18th/19th.

Shortstops and second basemen went quick.

Don't waste your time on more than one or two closers in the draft.

If you watch the waiver wire/free agents during the year, at least 4 will fall into your lap.

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 11:42 AM)
Cmon.

We're just teasing.

1. This years potential Liriano's - Tim Lincecum (in AAA to start), Alex Gordon.

2. Players on the decline - stay away from - Freddy Garcia, Andruw Jones.

3. Comeback players - Alex Rios, Sammy Sosa, Todd Helton, CC Sabathia.

4. Solid players that you can draft in late rounds. - David Ross, Adrian Gonzalez, Chuck James, Ricky Nolasco, Connor Jackson, Akinori Iwamura.

5. New closers - Jose Valverde, Joel Zumaya, Nolasco (closers this early are speculation)

6. Underrated / Overrated players - Underrated - Rios, Overrated - Ryan Howard.

I'd say Wells and Oswalt personally...

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 12:05 PM)
I'd trust Clint Barmes more than Troy Tulowitzki if he's healthy.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/292678

Barmes is at AAA, Tulowizki might not be worth a draft pick, but I have him in a deep league where we have extra bench spots, just taking a flier to see how he pans out.

Oswalt is an injury waiting to happen.

A-Rod in an off year gets you 30hr 100rbi.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/292678

Barmes is at AAA, Tulowizki might not be worth a draft pick, but I have him in a deep league where we have extra bench spots, just taking a flier to see how he pans out.

Barmes will be up with the club or traded by July.

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 01:08 PM)
Oswalt is an injury waiting to happen.

A-Rod in an off year gets you 30hr 100rbi.

Barmes will be up with the club or traded by July.

I doubt Oswalt gets hurt in the next 12 months though. I agree he is, but he's a good enough bet to be good this year and next. And hell, perhaps you even hang onto him this year and trade him at the beginning of next year to some guy who thinks he'll be good, and you get a highway robbery.

Also, Rowand will hate me for this, but Garza could very easily be the next Liriano. Not as in a sub-2.00 ERA, but just watch out for him...perhaps a 3.50 ERA, K's up the ass, and a few wins.

I also don't know why no one has mentioned keeping Bay. He is a great 5X5 player, what with his 30-40 homers, double digit steals, solid average and great run production.

Its almost time for my fantasy draft, and I am turning to the experts here at Soxtalk for advice!

I would love some input from everyone on the following categories:

3. Comeback players

5. New closers

Here we go I shall enlighten you:

1. Tim Lincecum is a potential Liriano, other guys that might have a good year are John Maine/Mike Pelfrey of the Mets, one or the other will be stellar, Mets dont have much pitching wise and Maine had a nice last half of the season. Of course you have your typical stars like Oswalt, Johan, HARDEN is back and is a solid late pick. Otherwise I like Anibal Sanchez, if you can get him as a bench guy do it.

2. Stay away from Sexson and Giambi, Eric Chavez is also declining in recent years. Theres many just the names escape me, also stay away from Chris Capuano, the whole white sox pitching staff

3. Comeback players are: Gary Sheffield, Randy Johnson, Zach Duke but its risky (can prolly pick him up in FA) Milton Bradley could put up some good numbers, Mike Piazza.

4. Good late round picks are: Todd Helton, Adrian Gonzalez, Alex Rios, Anibal Sanchez, Joel Zumaya, Ryan Freel, Mark Teahen, Ian Kinsler, Willy Taveras.

5. New Closers: Salomon Torres, Takashi Saito (although he could give way to Brazoban or Broxton), Tankersely (marlins), keep an eye on wickman if he struggles Mike gonzalez or rafael will take his place.

6. Underrated= call me crazy but adam laroache, he could put up big #s next to jason bay

Overrated= Miguel Cabrera and Dan Uggla, Uggla is a ground ball hitter, i dont see either of them putting up same #s as yr before but I could be wrong. Mauer is overrated also as catcher, there are later picks just as solid.

Just my 2 cents.

Overrated= Miguel Cabrera and Dan Uggla, Uggla is a ground ball hitter, i dont see either of them putting up same #s as yr before but I could be wrong.

Uggla, I agree with, but man, Cabrera's been mashing since day 1 and he's only going to get better. I mean, come on, in the last three years his OPS has gone from .879 to .947 to .998. He's one of the best, young hitters in the game my friend.

3. Comeback players

5. New closers

First of all, keep A-Rod obviously and also Oswalt. Everybody keeps saying he'll get hurt, but he's pitched well over 200 innings 4 of the last 5 years and has had an ERA UNDER 3 the last 2 seasons.

As for your other stuff, I can only advice based on what I've seen in drafts and such:

1. Any of the Marlins young starters. They won't be Liriano (nobody will), but they are young, undervalued, and really good.

2. Stay the hell away from Eric Chavez. Barry Zito is going to the NL and a great pitchers park, but he's showing the classic signs of decline. Also avoid Jason Varitek and sad to say, Mark Buehrle. I also wouldn't buy what Ray Durham was selling last year, and same goes for Mike Mussina and Kenny Rogers.

3. Piazza is going to have the Frank Thomas Oakland DH revival IMO. I also think Jhonny Peralta might have a really good year, he's over his sophomore slump and everybody is counting him out but he could be a valuable and cheap SS. Morgan Ensberg struggled with injuries last year, but he could be a nice comeback guy too. John Patterson from the Natties is a nice guy to have too, assuming he's healthy.

4. I got a really good catcher in Russell Martin in the 14th round of a 12 team draft, and he's going to bust out this year (he even had 10 steals last year). I got Dave Bush of Milwaukee in the 19th round, and he had some amazing splits last year, could be a really big steal as a starting pitcher, as well as my 21st and last pitch, Scott Olsen of the Marlins. Chris Burke is 2B/OF eligible, I got him in the 16th round, and he had 32 extra base hits in 366 AB's last year, as well as 11 steals and a .276 average.

5. Otsuka is going to end up closer, because there is NO WAY Gagne lasts. Dotel is worth the risk in Kansas City IMO, but I'm biased because I've always liked him. Watch the Reds bullpen closely, if somebody like Bill Bray gets a shot, he's worth a look. Wheeler and Qualls are both guys to pay attention to with Lidge being a mental case. Matt Capps is somebody to look at, I think he'll be the Pirates closer, Jorge Julio in Florida. The closer thing is something you just have to watch closely and be quick to react, because it's hard to predict (for example, I got J.J. Putz at the first sign of him being closer last year).

6. Mr. Gyroball is in for a rude awakening in the AL East, Johnny Damon is a borderline top 5 round pick on average, but I don't trust his skills or health. Bill Hall is way overrated due to what he did last year, and everybody STILL falls for Rich Harden. As for underrated.....Dan Haren is underrated again, Ervin Santana, Erik Bedard....really I could go all day with underrated pitchers, people are so keen to get offense early in drafts and ignore it it seems like. It's harder to find underrated hitters, but Mark Teahen is a guy that everybody will be scared away from due to Gordon, but he's a solid ballplayer and he'll get his time in OF (and eligiblity too) and produce numbers. Jorge Cantu can RAKE, but everybody forgot because he was hurt so much last year. Josh Willingham can't field for s***, but he has a great bat and is a guy you can get late, and as per annual tradition, everybody is sleeping on Melvin Mora.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 10:29 AM)
Overrated= Miguel Cabrera and Dan Uggla, Uggla is a ground ball hitter, i dont see either of them putting up same #s as yr before but I could be wrong.

Uggla, I agree with, but man, Cabrera's been mashing since day 1 and he's only going to get better. I mean, come on, in the last three years his OPS has gone from .879 to .947 to .998. He's one of the best, young hitters in the game my friend.

I just plain dont like him, I just think if that team has the sophomore jynx his numbers get shot.

I have taken crede pretty late in drafts because he puts up as much homers as any other third basemen and his avg is startin to come around. I guess I just think you can find some decent alternates instead of miggy.

Oh and whitesoxfan101 I agree with most of what you say, i also love the marlins young starters.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

Well this is who I ended up with - a 10 team league - 5x5. How do you all think I did?

C Russell Martin, LAD C Active UTIL Bench Drop @Mil 2:05 PM (Sheets) --/-- -- -- -- -- --

1B Prince Fielder, Mil 1B DTD Active UTIL Bench Drop LAD 2:05 PM (Lowe) --/-- -- -- -- -- --

2B Robinson Cano, NYY 2B Active UTIL Bench Drop TB 1:05 PM (Kazmir) --/-- -- -- -- -- --

3B Alex Rodriguez, NYY 3B Active UTIL Bench TB 1:05 PM (Kazmir) --/-- -- -- -- -- --

SS Jhonny Peralta, Cle SS Active UTIL Bench Drop @CWS 1:00 PM (Contreras) --/-- -- -- -- -- --

OF Grady Sizemore, Cle OF Active UTIL Bench Drop @CWS 1:00 PM (Contreras) --/-- -- -- -- -- --

OF Manny Ramirez, Bos OF Active UTIL Bench Drop @KC 4:05 PM (Meche) --/-- -- -- -- -- --

OF Jason Bay, Pit OF DTD Active UTIL Bench Drop @Hou 7:05 PM (Oswalt) --/-- -- -- -- -- --

UTIL Magglio Ordonez, Det OF Active OF Bench Drop Tor 1:05 PM (Halladay) --/-- -- -- -- -- --

UTIL J.D. Drew, Bos OF Active OF Bench Drop @KC 4:05 PM (Meche) --/-- -- -- -- -- --

TOTALS --/-- -- -- -- -- --

Bench Morgan Ensberg, Hou 3B Bench 3B UTIL Drop Pit 7:05 PM (Duke)

P Chris Young, SD SP Active SP Bench Drop -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

P A.J. Burnett, Tor SP Active SP Bench Drop @Det 1:05 PM (Bonderman) -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

P Mark Buehrle, CWS SP Active SP Bench Drop Cle 1:00 PM (Sabathia) -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

SP Carlos Zambrano, ChC SP PP Active P Bench Drop @Cin 2:10 PM (Harang) -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

SP Daisuke Matsuzaka, Bos SP Active P Bench Drop @KC 4:05 PM (Meche) -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

RP Mariano Rivera, NYY RP Active P Bench Drop TB 1:05 PM (Kazmir) -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

RP Bobby Jenks, CWS RP Active P Bench Drop Cle 1:00 PM (Sabathia) -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

TOTALS -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Bench Joe Borowski, Cle RP Bench P RP Drop @CWS 1:00 PM (Contreras) -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Bench Jorge Julio, Fla RP Bench P RP Drop @Was 1:05 PM (Patterson) -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Bench Mark Prior, ChC SP DTD Bench P SP Drop @Cin 2:10 PM (Harang) -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

DL Jered Weaver*, LAA SP DL15 DL P SP Bench Drop Tex 10:05 PM (Millwood)

My team in teh league I care about:

Brian McCann

Nick Swisher

Brian Roberts

Alex Gordon

Michael Young

Richie Sexson

Soriano

Ibanez

Vladimir Guerrero

Hafner

My bench is

Zimmerman (who I'll put in for Gordon if he significantly struggles)

Figgins

Abreu

Thomas

Baldelli

PITCHING

Oswalt

Peavy

Nathan

Ryan

Kazmir

Hoffman

Anibal Sanchez

Lidge

Cole Hamels

Javier Vazquez

Any thoughts?

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)
Would you guys do this trade if you were me?

I trade: Sizemore and Peralta

I receive: Tejada and Zimmerman

I play in a 5x5 league

No. As knightni said, you lack speed as it is. Losing Sizemore is basically punting on steals. Zimmerman is a good player, but not much of an upgrade over Drew/Ordonez, if any. ESPECIALLY in that craptacular lineup. I think Peralta will be pretty good this year. What other ss are available, just in case?