BUMPED::::::Toby Hall Possibly out for the season

Steve9347

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:08 PM)
Because we don't have a 100 % back up first baseman. I think it was worth giving Hall a look at. It sucks he got hurt but im not blaming anyone for it. I'm sure hes not either.

DARIN ERSTAD, isn't that one of the reasons they brought him in? He's supposed to be Gload except capable of playing the OF as well.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether anyone believes Guillen is to blame, no one can doubt how much this will hurt us.

No minor league depth. No viable options on the market. No way of obtaining a suitable replacement without overpaying.

Not good. We're not better for this. That is, unless the team becomes so incredibly inspired from the loss that everyone has career seasons.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:11 PM)
DARIN ERSTAD, isn't that one of the reasons they brought him in? He's supposed to be Gload except capable of playing the OF as well.

No kidding. Hall should be 6th or 7th on the depth chart for 1B.

Look, I'm not ready to crucify Ozzie for what happened. It was a freak injury. I'm more annoyed with the fact that Hall was put at 1B when there was no reason for him to still be playing. The fact that he was an above average back-up, and now will be replaced by a mediocre back-up, hurts this team a lot. Of course, we still have injury prone starters hitting in the 8th and 9th inning of Spring Training games busting their ass down the line. Hopefully the vibe gets better once the season starts.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)
what is Aj's career batting average against lefties?

0 for Santana/C.C. :P In all seriousness, you could tell during the 2nd half last year how much he started to tire. A back-up catcher is very important, especially in our division when you have a lefty starter and all the tough LHP.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:11 PM)

Hall Erstad vs lefties last year: .192. Last three years: .238.

Again, like Mack, not the comparison to make. Against LHP, if Thome sits, Hall or Perez were the best bench options available for 1B. And Perez was not yet on the 25 (though he may be now).

EDIT: HA! I meant Erstad against lefties.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:13 PM)
Look, I'm not ready to crucify Ozzie for what happened. It was a freak injury. I'm more annoyed with the fact that Hall was put at 1B when there was no reason for him to still be playing. The fact that he was an above average back-up, and now will be replaced by a mediocre back-up, hurts this team a lot. Of course, we still have injury prone starters hitting in the 8th and 9th inning of Spring Training games busting their ass down the line. Hopefully the vibe gets better once the season starts.

There, these are basically my feelings as well.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:15 PM)
Hall vs lefties last year: .192. Last three years: .238.

Again, like Mack, not the comparison to make. Against LHP, if Thome sits, Hall or Perez were the best bench options available for 1B. And Perez was not yet on the 25 (though he may be now).

Hall hit .292 vs LHP last year, and is a .274 career hitter vs LHP.

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:16 PM)
Chris Widger was the backup when the Sox won the World Series.

Enough Said.

Chris Widger was actually a damn good hitter for the first half of the season.

FWIW, from whitesox.com

"If you don't want to get hurt in baseball, I'll be sitting with you in the pressbox," said Guillen, who mentioned getting Hall at-bats and a little work at first base was discussed during the morning staff meeting. "The only way to keep him sharp is to play him every other day and find him some at-bats."

"I love it over there," added Hall, who listed Sunday's injury as a subluxation, or partial dislocation, of his right shoulder. "I was anticipating a play like that anyways. I happened to land wrong."

I love how 90% of this board is freaking out like the season is over with this injury, yet fail to remember we brought home the hardware with Chris F'n Widger as our back-up. Yes, the same Chris Widger that wins MVPs of the 16" softball tournaments across the country.

Ease up kiddies, we could have much bigger problems on our plate right now. Take Minnesota for instance, deciding who to make thier #3 (let alone #5) Sidney Ponson or Ramon Ortiz. A classic win-win situation.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)
Hall Erstad vs lefties last year: .192. Last three years: .238.

EDIT: HA! I meant Erstad against lefties.

I'll take my chances with Erstad playing 1B and hitting 9th if they find the need to give Thome a day off and Konerko a little rest at DH. Outside of that I'm content with Thome facing lefties unless Perez makes the 25 man roster. I never liked the idea of Hall doing anything outside of his normal backup catcher duties. I said all this when they signed the guy.

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 01:16 PM)
Chris Widger was the backup when the Sox won the World Series.

Enough Said.

You find me one backup catcher capable of producing his 2005 numbers.

Just don't overpay. And find a team willing to give him up this late in spring training.

Good luck.

So...aside from Alomar and Widger...does anyone have any other ideas for someone who might be available?

Javy Lopez did just come to mind, I believe he was released by the Rockies. He was able to put up a .270 .293 .404 .697 against lefties last year.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:18 PM)
I love how 90% of this board is freaking out like the season is over with this injury, yet fail to remember we brought home the hardware with Chris F'n Widger as our back-up. Yes, the same Chris Widger that wins MVPs of the 16" softball tournaments across the country.

Ease up kiddies, we could have much bigger problems on our plate right now. Take Minnesota for instance, deciding who to make thier #3 (let alone #5) Sidney Ponson or Ramon Ortiz. A classic win-win situation.

I love the condescending tone of your post, if you don't think the loss of a legit backup catcher is pretty big loss then I'm not sure you're following this team all that closely. Using Widger and '05 as some sort of evidence that the Sox don't need a guy to spare AJ every now and then is so ludicrous that I chose to not even address it.

And you do know Widger his .296 in '05 right? If anything you just proved how valuable Hall could have been.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)
So...aside from Alomar and Widger...does anyone have any other ideas for someone who might be available?

Javy Lopez did just come to mind, I believe he was released by the Rockies. He was able to put up a .270 .293 .404 .697 against lefties last year.

He's not really a catcher though. I suppose that could work, that was one of the names mentioned last season before they dealt for Alomar.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)

I think if your looking for some offense against lefties. hes gotta be the guy.

From the Tribune:

White Sox's Hall has torn labrum

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

In the team's initial diagnosis, White Sox reserve catcher Toby Hall, who was injured playing first base Sunday, has a torn labrum in his right shoulder. The team said it will seek a second opinion.

Edited by BigSqwert