BUMPED::::::Toby Hall Possibly out for the season

Steve9347

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)
But hey, atleast our minor league depth should make replacing Hall somewhat reasonable.

What? There is no depth at the catching position?

yeah we shouldn't have traded miguel olivo, what were we thinking?

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
Just imagine if something happened to AJ now.

that's the one scenerio that would make this injury a real big loss. AJ has suddenly become the Sox most unreplaceable position player, just as he was the past 2 seasons.

Edited by Dick Allen

Well, this sucks.

If the organization wasn't so in love with Erstad in CF and put him at 1B to back up Konerko (Which was the reason he was signed in the first place), they wouldn't hafta go with an unknown dude named Wiki.

Granted, Widge was on the World Series team. And other than the HR he hit off Johnson, I'm still not sure what other moments he provided.

QUOTE(G&T @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 03:48 PM)
It's rare that I can say this here but I think there are people underestimating how bad this is. After watching this team look like they were swinging at ping pong balls against lefties last year, Hall was a key pickup. His defensive position can probably be filled. That's true. But his offense can't easily be replaced.

This sucks even more because he was playing so well this spring.

That is pretty much my sentiment as well. Without blaming the injury anyone/anything but bad luck, I thought Hall was a major offensive upgrade in a backup catcher and the team will suffer as a result of losing him.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
Well, this sucks.

If the organization wasn't so in love with Erstad in CF and put him at 1B to back up Konerko (Which was the reason he was signed in the first place), they wouldn't hafta go with an unknown dude named Wiki.

Unknown?!? Dude has his own website all about him and it's friggin' huge!

:D

Somebody tell me "April Fools" came a few days early...but for real guys, let's not TOTALLY catastrophize this...he's a career .265 hitter and if he got 500 AB's in this year (which he wouldn't) he would probably have 10 HR's. I know it sucks in our division with all the tough lefties but we can get through this. Molina has looked decent in the few ST games I've seen or am I mistaken???

Edited by JohnCangelosi

^^^ You're mistaken. I have more bat speed than Gustavo.

This basically forces, assuming Ozzie has a, well, nevermind, Perez onto the team. We need someone to hit left-handers, and if we can petition MLB to substitute a traffic cone to play LF for Eduardo, which is a wash anyways, it's a win-win.

Edited by Cerbaho-WG

Can anyone list the backup catchers in our division and their numbers vs. righties and lefties?

I'd feel a little better if we were on the same level as the other in the division with a potential Wiki backup. I still does suck though cause Hall probably would have been the best backup in the division and we lose that edge.

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
Somebody tell me "April Fools" came a few days early...but for real guys, let's not TOTALLY catastrophize this...he's a career .265 hitter and if he got 500 AB's in this year (which he wouldn't) he would probably have 10 HR's. I know it sucks in our division with all the tough lefties but we can get through this. Molina has looked decent in the few ST games I've seen???

I've been entirely unimpressed with Gustavo, I don't know what he looks like when he's playing with the Barons and Knights but the guy has had an absolute puss arm all spring and s*** at the plate.

At least we still have Chris Stewart waiting in the wings as some decent organizational depth. Right? RIGHT?

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:15 PM)
Can anyone list the backup catchers in our division and their numbers vs. righties and lefties?

I'd feel a little better if we were on the same level as the other in the division with a potential Wiki backup. I still does suck though cause Hall probably would have been the best backup in the division and we lose that edge.

I don't think that matters since those other teams can hit lefties better top to bottom, I think. The primary catchers, Mauer, Rodriquez, Martinez, are all better hitters than AJ and should be in the lineup every day.

This is a problem for the White Sox.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
This basically forces, assuming Ozzie has a, well, nevermind, Perez onto the team. We need someone to hit left-handers, and if we can petition MLB to substitute a traffic cone to play LF for Eduardo, which is a wash anyways, it's a win-win.

You would hope they'd keep Perez now...the lineup vs. LHP is Terrible:

Can't hit LHP (or just cant hit period):

Thome

Iguchi (at least last year...)

Erstad/Terrero

Wiki Gonzalez/AJ

Can't be counted on to hit:

Uribe/Cintron

Ozuna

Can hit:

Dye

Konerko

Crede (assuming last year wasn't a fluke)

About half the lineup against LHP is at an OPS below .700

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
Is it too late to call up Sandy Alomar again, haha.

This just sucks.

Well, the Sox could trade Anderson to Florida for SP Yusmiero Petit (they might actually do that). And then trade Petit back to the Mets for Sandy Alomar.

And, yes, I am being sarcastic -- but you know Ozzie would do that deal in a minute.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)

Minnesota

Joe Mauer - is a god

Mike Redmond - .443/.467/.543/1.010 vs LHP (yeah, that is 31 for 70 against LHP)

Detroit

IRod - .719 OPS vs RHP, .891 vs LHP

Vance Wilson - .326/.356/.488/.844 vs LHP

Cleveland

Victor - .290/.373/.430/.803 vs LHP, .332/.402/.486/.888 vs RHP

Kelly Shoppach - .314/.368/.629/.997 vs LHP (in like 35 PAs)

Royals

LaRue - sucked last year, but had a .720 OPS against LHP in limited playing time

Buck - more homers against LHP than RHP in about half the PAs

It's kind of important to have a good catching duo.

Edited by witesoxfan