BUMPED::::::Toby Hall Possibly out for the season

Steve9347

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 06:56 PM)
That's so easy to say.

Imagine this -- you're in a position, as a new guy, where the manager comes up and asks whether you're comfortable at first base. Even if you're not, do you think you'd risk looking bad by rejecting the request? Then teammates may say, "he's not a team player."

The concern here, after Hall began fielding at 1B, was whether anyone noticed any trouble he may have been having. If there were obvious signs, Guillen absolutely has to be held accountable.

I've been on Ozzie as much as anyone, but its first base. How many firstbasemen experienced or unexperienced have torn their labrums diving for a ball? I would bet it is not very many. I know Hall was a weapon to fight the lefthanders in the division. And I'm sure he would have helped against the Kenny Rogers and Cliff Lees. He is 4-25 lifetime against Santana and Sabbathia. With no homers. I hope KW doesn't feel like he can fill this position internally, but he needs to get a better than average back-up now in case AJ goes down for any time. Nobody will do him any favors if that happens.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:04 PM)
KW was interviewed on Comcast and said the backup catcher position will be filled internally.

THE WIKI ERA BEGINS IN CHICAGO!

That's a big mistake.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 06:38 PM)
I bet Hall has had plenty of practice time at 1B however. And I bet Ozzie would not have put Hall out there at 1B if Hall said he was not comfortable with playing 1B. Obviously Hall felt comfortable enough to play 1B, and wanted to get extra at bats in.

Just like when Ozzie asked Mac's permission before he stuck him in CF . . . oh wait. Why would he have to move Toby Hall to 1B in order to get him more ABs? Why couldn't he just leave him at catcher where he had played for the first half of the game? Or are 1B ABs worth more than catcher ABs?

I'm not even looking for answer to this question, it's more of a general post. I'm done with this discussion.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 12:04 AM)
KW was interviewed on Comcast and said the backup catcher position will be filled internally.

Super, the only position where I felt we upgraded during the offseason, and now it's a downgrade.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:08 PM)
Once again, I just get an awful vibe going into this season, and I hate it.

My mood just significantly soured...and the combination of the performance of our pitching staff combined with the whole Erstad/Anderson situation is worrying me more and more.

With the FA situation, it may be entirely possible that the White Sox could be selling by the trade deadline this year and stockpiling more for next year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:09 PM)
Super, the only position where I felt we upgraded during the offseason, and now it's a downgrade.

Are you certain? I'll give you a choice between Wiki, the Widge, and Alomar Sr., and suicide is not an option.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:13 PM)
My mood just significantly soured...and the combination of the performance of our pitching staff combined with the whole Erstad/Anderson situation is worrying me more and more.

With the FA situation, it may be entirely possible that the White Sox could be selling by the trade deadline this year and stockpiling more for next year.

Are you certain? I'll give you a choice between Wiki, the Widge, and Alomar Sr., and suicide is not an option.

Widger only because I took sex appeal into account.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:16 PM)
I just hate not being AS excited as I usually am for the upcoming season. There has just been a bad vibe this spring it seems, with some very questionable decisions coming from management. I hope they make us all look like idiots, but right now I am not thrilled with the was this team is headed into the Opener.

That about sums it up for me.

Opening Day is a week away and I'm not nearly as excited about usual.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:20 PM)
That about sums it up for me.

Opening Day is a week away and I'm not nearly as excited about usual.

I remember having that feeling about 2 years ago. Have some faith! Not a good injury to get...but at least it wasn't to a starter. The sky's not falling yet.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)
I just hate not being AS excited as I usually am for the upcoming season. There has just been a bad vibe this spring it seems, with some very questionable decisions coming from management. I hope they make us all look like idiots, but right now I am not thrilled with the was this team is headed into the Opener.

Before 2005, and I wasn't here so there's no evidence, but I was pumped. I was pumped that we actually had a balanced lineup, I was pumped that we had a pitching staff that could go 1-6, I was pumped that we had a bunch of people who might be on their way to improvement.

I just am not pumped right now.

It'd only be appropriate now if the final bullpen spots were given to Sisco, Aardsma and Floyd.

That would about cap off an absolutely frustrating four weeks of spring training.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 06:04 PM)

I don't know why he'd say that. Did he not notice what the Brewers received for Brady Clark?

How much could it possibly cost to get Miller?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:30 PM)
It'd only be appropriate now if the final bullpen spots were given to Sisco, Aardsma and Floyd.

That would about cap off an absolutely frustrating four weeks of spring training.

I don't know why he'd say that. Did he not notice what the Brewers received for Brady Clark?

How much could it possibly cost to get Miller?

Well Miller is going to make $2.25M this season and the Brewers don't need him and don't want him. He could probably be had for a song.

It's hard to be overly excited when our pitching staff is worse than it was last season. No, I'm not arguing we should have kept Garcia, but we are taking a step back in the #5 spot. We're also counting on Vazquez a bit more than last season. Our bullpen can be very good, and assuming Jenks is healthy, the backend of the bullpen should be fine. Saying that, the rest of the pen has potential, but at this point, I'm not calling it anything more that that.

Offensively, we reverted back into a HR or nothing team last season. Pods needs to rebound for starters, but we also have to be able to rest Thome at least once a week to keep him from breaking down in the 2nd half. The offense will probably score runs in bunches - 10 one game, and then 10 for the next three games.

I think the White Sox are a 2nd/3rd place team somewhere in the 88 range.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:24 PM)
I remember having that feeling about 2 years ago. Have some faith! Not a good injury to get...but at least it wasn't to a starter. The sky's not falling yet.

Meh, 2 years ago we had a ton of new players to be excited about.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:40 PM)
If you guys are so bummed for the season, just go to the Tigers board and start cheering for them...Season hasnt even started and half of you have given up already. This isnt the Delta I remember....

Not giving up, but predicting that the White Sox did take a step back this season. They will still be a good club, I just don't see enough to think they will win the division.

Just a bad break, and nothing we could have done about it.

Why was he playing 1st base? What if Paulie is injured, and you decide to use Hall as a 1Bman against a LHP? Well that's assuming of course Perez wasn't going to make the team, which I think he certainly will now.

Javy Lopez is a guy who's out there, if you could convince him to be a backup again.

Miller hits lefties well, but the Brewers would need a backup C to replace him, and he's a very good insurance policy for them, so you'd have to make it worthwhile for Doug Melvin to give him up.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:34 PM)
It's hard to be overly excited when our pitching staff is worse than it was last season. No, I'm not arguing we should have kept Garcia, but we are taking a step back in the #5 spot. We're also counting on Vazquez a bit more than last season. Our bullpen can be very good, and assuming Jenks is healthy, the backend of the bullpen should be fine. Saying that, the rest of the pen has potential, but at this point, I'm not calling it anything more that that.

Offensively, we reverted back into a HR or nothing team last season. Pods needs to rebound for starters, but we also have to be able to rest Thome at least once a week to keep him from breaking down in the 2nd half. The offense will probably score runs in bunches - 10 one game, and then 10 for the next three games.

I think the White Sox are a 2nd/3rd place team somewhere in the 88 range.

I certainly, certainly hope you are wrong. I don't want to go back to 2004 again.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:50 PM)
I certainly, certainly hope you are wrong. I don't want to go back to 2004 again.

I also hope I am wrong, but I think I am being optimistic saying 88 wins when we don't have a #5 starter, and 1-4 all have their own questions in very tough division. I think the key to the season is Mark Buerhle - he has to rebound and win 16-17 games like he has previously. We need that 1-2 combo with Contreras. Garland's going to be a bit streaky, and Vazquez will look like Cy Young in some outings, and a stiff in others.

Again though, I really hope I am wrong, and hopefully we can find our way back to the playoffs.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:40 PM)
If you guys are so bummed for the season, just go to the Tigers board and start cheering for them...Season hasnt even started and half of you have given up already. This isnt the Delta I remember....

Why do people assume that a lack of enthusiasm for the way this team looks right now leads directly to being a Tiger fan? I can remember quite a few decisions I wasn't happy about, but that doesn't turn me into a fan of some other team. For crying out loud, I've wasted 2 years posting nearly 20,000 comments at a random online message board about this team, I'll cheer for them through whatever, and hope they surprise me, but that doesn't mean I can't be concerned that I won't get to enjoy a good season this year.

I personally blame Kalapse for this entire situation. Had he not recommended Eduardo Perez to KW, KW would not have signed him, and Eduardo would not have been there to leave the game with a sore hammy and Guillen, having used his starting catcher and first baseman in the B game, wouldn't have moved Hall to 1B when Wiki Gonzalez came into the game so Hall could get ABs without wearing out and therefore the injury would not have ever happened. D**m Kalapse!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Talks about Brian and his utility role this season and Hall's injury. Also the extension talks (which I think is worthless)

A.J. backin Oz.

A.J. Pierzynski was even more strident in his response when asked about the serious injury being directly tied to the backup catcher's presence at first base.

"[Hall] played a whole game over there [previously], and [Ozzie] was just trying to get him at-bats and give him kind of a break," Pierzynski said. "It was just a bad luck thing and it happened. Ozzie shouldn't draw any blame at all. It's just one of those freak accidents.

"Heck, I could go out right now and get hit by a car walking down the street," Pierzynski added.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 06:51 PM)
If Hall thought he was at risk of getting hurt at 1B, Im sure he would have toild that to management and he would have not been playing 1st...But since Hall found no danger playing 1st, why would KW or OG...All of you just like to complain about Ozzie about anything...If your going to complain like little women, complain at Hall for thinking he could play 1st...Im pretty positive Guillen didnt put a gun to his head and tell him to play 1st base!

But if he didn't he wouldnt be known as a grinder!!! :o

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:06 PM)
Just like when Ozzie asked Mac's permission before he stuck him in CF . . . oh wait. Why would he have to move Toby Hall to 1B in order to get him more ABs? Why couldn't he just leave him at catcher where he had played for the first half of the game? Or are 1B ABs worth more than catcher ABs?

I'm not even looking for answer to this question, it's more of a general post. I'm done with this discussion.

Catching a ball game is much more physically taxing to a player then 1B, and since they didn't want Hall to wear down in ST, they decided to put him at 1B. Name one time this whole ST where the Sox left their catcher catch the whole game. Maybe for Gustavo Molina, but that is because he sucks and has no shot at ever making the team.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:16 PM)
Catching a ball game is much more physically taxing to a player then 1B, and since they didn't want Hall to wear down in ST, they decided to put him at 1B. Name one time this whole ST where the Sox left their catcher catch the whole game. Maybe for Gustavo Molina, but that is because he sucks and has no shot at ever making the team.

He does now.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 09:18 PM)
He does now.

No, he doesn't. ustavo Molina is batting something like a collective .097 this spring, and his defense aint that good, from what I have seen. I'd rather have my dog play catcher because at least he has speed, Molina has nothing.

Also, I'd like to see a trade for a top catching prospect for AA/AAA. Looking through our system, our catching situation right now is terrible.