BUMPED::::::Toby Hall Possibly out for the season

Steve9347

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:23 PM)
how about a back up first baseman that is right handed?

Like Eduardo Perez? If only Pods was to start the year on our DL, our roster would be in such better shape (pre-Hall injury).

Javy Lopez has an awful reputation in baseball. He's also on of the most obvious former juicers.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:18 PM)
FWIW, from whitesox.com

"If you don't want to get hurt in baseball, I'll be sitting with you in the pressbox," said Guillen, who mentioned getting Hall at-bats and a little work at first base was discussed during the morning staff meeting. "The only way to keep him sharp is to play him every other day and find him some at-bats."

"I love it over there," added Hall, who listed Sunday's injury as a subluxation, or partial dislocation, of his right shoulder. "I was anticipating a play like that anyways. I happened to land wrong."

So why didn't he just leave Hall at catcher rather than move him to 1B? Did Wiki really need a few innings behind the plate?

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:18 PM)
I love how 90% of this board is freaking out like the season is over with this injury, yet fail to remember we brought home the hardware with Chris F'n Widger as our back-up. Yes, the same Chris Widger that wins MVPs of the 16" softball tournaments across the country.

Ease up kiddies, we could have much bigger problems on our plate right now. Take Minnesota for instance, deciding who to make thier #3 (let alone #5) Sidney Ponson or Ramon Ortiz. A classic win-win situation.

Didn't Minnesota have these same "bigger problems" last year as well when they won ths division? Oh wait that had a pitcher with a partially torn rotator cuff to secure that #2 role.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 01:18 PM)
I love how 90% of this board is freaking out like the season is over with this injury, yet fail to remember we brought home the hardware with Chris F'n Widger as our back-up. Yes, the same Chris Widger that wins MVPs of the 16" softball tournaments across the country.

Sure, and we also brought the hardware home with Timo Perez as our 4th OF.

Can we please stop these comparisons to 2005? Yeah, we won the World Series in 2005 without a legitimate backup catcher. How about all the other years without a legitimate back up catcher in which we missed the playoffs? Do they count?

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:18 PM)
FWIW, from whitesox.com

"If you don't want to get hurt in baseball, I'll be sitting with you in the pressbox," said Guillen, who mentioned getting Hall at-bats and a little work at first base was discussed during the morning staff meeting. "The only way to keep him sharp is to play him every other day and find him some at-bats."

"I love it over there," added Hall, who listed Sunday's injury as a subluxation, or partial dislocation, of his right shoulder. "I was anticipating a play like that anyways. I happened to land wrong."

If the labrum was torn severe enough to have the shoulder sublux then it isn't a minor tear. I'm sure they will try rehab first to see if the shoulder muscles (rotator cuff) are sufficient enough for stabilization. Odds are that they won't be and he will miss about 3 months before he can start to throw.

The advantage here is that he is not the starter. If he can rest and rehab betwwen starts depending on playing time, he may be able to tough it out.

Teams with 3 catchers on their roster:

Tampa Bay: Dioner Navarro, Josh Paul, Shawn Riggans (all righties)

LAA: Mike Napoli, Jose Molina, Jeff Mathis (2 quasi rookies, all righties)

Texas: Gerald Laird, Miguel Ojeda, Guillermo Quiroz, (all righties)

Philadelphia: Rod Barajas, Chris Coste, Carlos Ruiz (all righties)

Cinci: David Ross, Javier Valentin (S), Chad Moeller (one switch, 2 righties)

Houston, Brad Ausmus, Humberto Quintero, Eric Munson (L)

Milwaukee: Johnny Estrada (S), Damian Miller, Mike Rivera

Pittsburgh: Ronny Paulino Ryan Doumit (S), Humberto Cota

Arizona; Chris Snyder , Miguel Montero (L), Robby Hammock

All righties unless otherwise noted

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)
The advantage here is that he is not the starter. If he can rest and rehab betwwen starts depending on playing time, he may be able to tough it out.

The disadvantage here is Hall was a capable backup who was expected to bat against tough LHP within the division.

Huge loss.

Ok, KW needs to be on the phone with the Brewers. They have the opposite problem...too many catchers.

Damian Miller went on the DL last year with a concussion and missed a lot of time. While he was down, a guy named Mike Rivera, who is wearing a White Sox cap in his MLB.com photo, came up and did an admirable job. Rivera has had a good spring, and is out of options, so the Brewers don't want to lose him, but also don't know if they want to use a roster spot to hold 3 catchers. One of those 2 guys should be available and it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:33 PM)
He's 33 year old journeyman catcher whom the Sox signed to a MLC after trading away Chris Stewart.

How's his D? The stats never tell the whole story on that aspect.

Boy, the depth really isn't there for catchers in our system, is it? I like Donny Lucy, but he isn't ready.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)
If Toby Hall is the most significant injury to the White Sox this season, it will be a great year health-wise.

Already, I think this sounds like the most significant injury to the White Sox in the last 3 years. Yeah, there have been people who have struggled some, Marte in 05, Contreras last year, but who for the most part didn't miss more than a couple weeks on the DL. Of course, there's the Frank Thomas think in 05, but he was already hurt from 04. I think this is the first guy who we projected on our 25 man from the start of spring training who will miss several months worth of time since 2004.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 01:39 PM)
Boy, the depth really isn't there for catchers in our system, is it? I like Donny Lucy, but he isn't ready.

Nope, just another glaring hole.

If Toby Hall is the most significant injury to the White Sox this season, it will be a great year health-wise.

Yes, if you can guarantee no one else is injured throughout the season. Which you can't.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
In no way am I blaming Ozzie for this injury, but I am just curious why we needed to play Hall at 1B when we have about a bunch of utility players (Ozuna, Mackowiack, Perez, even Cintron) who could've filled in for an inning.

This hurts because Hall would've been a nice bat off the bench, but at the end of the day the backup catcher is not making or breaking the Sox' season. I can live with Wiki playing once or twice a week.

One or two games a week isn't that big?

This is huge, no matter how you slice it.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 01:43 PM)
One or two games a week isn't that big?

This is huge, no matter how you slice it.

WHAT? We won the World Series in 2005 with Widger as our backup. Just ignore all the other years we didn't do squat without a capable backup catcher. 2005 is the comparison for all things White Sox!

It's rare that I can say this here but I think there are people underestimating how bad this is. After watching this team look like they were swinging at ping pong balls against lefties last year, Hall was a key pickup. His defensive position can probably be filled. That's true. But his offense can't easily be replaced.

This sucks even more because he was playing so well this spring.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)
How's his D? The stats never tell the whole story on that aspect.

I have no idea, I just remember him battling Ben Davis for ABs like 6 years ago with the Padres. He's just one of those names you always hear sort of like Sal Fasano and all the other bad backup/3rd catchers of this Millenium.