BUMPED::::::Toby Hall Possibly out for the season

Steve9347

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)
Minnesota

Joe Mauer - is a god

Mike Redmond - .443/.467/.543/1.010 vs LHP (yeah, that is 31 for 70 against LHP)

Detroit

IRod - .719 OPS vs RHP, .891 vs LHP

Vance Wilson - .326/.356/.488/.844 vs LHP

Cleveland

Victor - .290/.373/.430/.803 vs LHP, .332/.402/.486/.888 vs RHP

Kelly Shoppach - .314/.368/.629/.997 vs LHP (in like 35 PAs)

Royals

LaRue - sucked last year, but had a .720 OPS against LHP in limited playing time

Buck - more homers against LHP than RHP in about half the PAs

It's kind of important to have a good catching duo.

Thanks for checking that out. Can't get to the sites with stats here at work.

I don't feel any better now though.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everybody needs to step off the ledge already. It's our BACKUP catcher.

If we're going to lose 2007, we're going do it the time-honored Sox way: with our starters blowing it for us, before any bench rat has a chance to!

I mean c'mon, this is a Sox tradition!

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 08:34 PM)
GMAFB. Sometimes, you people just kill me around here.

Which part do you disagree with? We've argued at length about whether or not it was Ozzie's fault, and I can see how people would agree/disagree with it. If you're arguing about it not being a big blow to the team, then I would have to severely disagree with you.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
Which part do you disagree with? We've argued at length about whether or not it was Ozzie's fault, and I can see how people would agree/disagree with it. If you're arguing about it not being a big blow to the team, then I would have to severely disagree with you.

Well, let's see...Eduardo Perez' calf was stiffening up again, so they didn't want him to be hurt more...Toby Hall might have played some 1B this year anyway...he was diving for a ball, which is the effort you want out of any player...Hall gets hurt.

Yeah, I can see how it's Ozzie's fault.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)
Which doesn't make a lot of sense.

this

It's not Ozzie's fault Hall got hurt. It's Ozzie's fault that Hall was in a position to get hurt the way he did. Whether you blame him or not, or how much of an effect this has on the team is a completely different story.

If Hall were playing 1B this year at any time, this would have been in a hell of a lot of trouble.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 08:53 PM)
Well, let's see...Eduardo Perez' calf was stiffening up again, so they didn't want him to be hurt more...Toby Hall might have played some 1B this year anyway...he was diving for a ball, which is the effort you want out of any player...Hall gets hurt.

Yeah, I can see how it's Ozzie's fault.

Like we've mentioned before, there's about 5 other candidates that can play first before Hall should even be mentioned. I understand that Ozzie was trying to get another at-bat for him yesterday, but it seems like he might be trying to cover his ass by stating how Hall was in the plans to play first base this year. Like DA mentioned before, let's hope this is our worst injury of the year, and we'll be in great shape.

So, say the wife and I move into a new area that we are not too familiar with. She sends me out to go get some milk from the store (there is one that we had passed before that we wanted to give a try). When I am out, I get into an accident and tear my labrum.

Can I use the same logic and say that it is her fault for putting me in that situation? :D

Sorry I couldn't resist. I find it ridiculous to blame Ozzie for having Hall play baseball.

Sorry but I agree. Suppose he was behind the plate and a bat hit him? Or he got bowled over? And on and on and on...

It was a freak injury. That dive looked harmless. He just landed wrong.

I think that we're indulging in a bit of hindsight being 20/20 obviously...

s***ty, but a freak injury. Can't see how Ozzie is getting full blame. Toby was looking impressive this spring and I was excited to see him during the season.

Interesting to note: with most of the usual suspects in the game thread, not a word about how outraged they were with Ozzie putting toby hall in at 1st base prior to the injury. Hindsight is always 20/20, of course.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:22 PM)
Sorry but I agree. Suppose he was behind the plate and a bat hit him? Or he got bowled over? And on and on and on...

Then no one would be blaiming Ozzie but what the hell does that have to do with anything? I don't see where the 'what ifs' play into this situation.

What if Dye were playing 1B and tore his ACL forcing him to miss the entire season?

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:23 PM)
s***ty, but a freak injury. Can't see how Ozzie is getting full blame. Toby was looking impressive this spring and I was excited to see him during the season.

Interesting to note: with most of the usual suspects in the game thread, not a word about how outraged they were with Ozzie putting toby hall in at 1st base prior to the injury. Hindsight is always 20/20, of course.

For the record I was sitting on my bench press watching the game on MLB.tv, I had no idea Hall was even playing 1B. If I had actually been watching closely I likely would have said something but it was 6:00 and I was trying to bench, watch basketball and listen to the Sox all at the same time. I'm usually pretty good at first guessing Ozzie as opposed to a lot of the 2nd guessing that goes on.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 09:28 PM)
For the record I was sitting on my bench press watching the game on MLB.tv, I had no idea Hall was even playing 1B. If I had actually been watching closely I likely would have said something but it was 6:00 and I was trying to bench, watch basketball and listen to the Sox all at the same time. I'm usually pretty good at first guessing Ozzie as opposed to a lot of the 2nd guessing that goes on.

I will never go get a brownie batter blizzard during a Sox game again, as I missed the actual play that hurt Hall.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:31 PM)
I will never go get a brownie batter blizzard during a Sox game again, as I missed the actual play that hurt Hall.

I believe I was out on the patio when the actual play occurred, I went out to fire up the grill, came back in and Toby was laying on the ground. I just said to myself "WIKI TIME!"

I assume the Blizzard was worth it though, right?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:25 PM)
Then no one would be blaiming Ozzie but what the hell does that have to do with anything? I don't see where the 'what ifs' play into this situation.

What if Dye were playing 1B and tore his ACL forcing him to miss the entire season?

My point is that the plan was to use him at 1B this season as well, so it was obviously not that "out there" to have him playing 1B in a ST game. Both he and Ozzie liked the arrangement.

I think you'd have more of an argument if you asked what was he doing in that late in a game in which we were being blown out, but anybody can get hurt anytime playing baseball. I don't think it was something egregiously obvious like leaving in a pitcher for 130 pitches or asking the DH to play center.

I think when shockers like this happen we want to make sense of them and the easiest way to do that is blame Ozzie.

Hey, didn't AJ's Cub rival who punched him take one in the jewels behind the plate last year, ending his season? He was playing his position.

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:07 PM)
It's not Ozzie's fault Hall got hurt. It's Ozzie's fault that Hall was in a position to get hurt the way he did.

Ozzie should have kept Hall up on the top shelf of the China cabinet to avoid the possibility of injury.

You guys need to give the Ozzie-bashing a rest.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 09:33 PM)
I believe I was out on the patio when the actual play occurred, I went out to fire up the grill, came back in and Toby was laying on the ground. I just said to myself "WIKI TIME!"

I assume the Blizzard was worth it though, right?

The Brownie Batter Blizzard is a delight.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
a 12 page thread about a back up catcher? You guys are nuts.

BTW, your a fool if your blaming Ozzie for this. I'm sure Hall agreed to play first base instead of been forced into the situation.

Correct. Back up catchers are so unimportant. :huh:

I'm sure Hall agreed as well, that has absolutely nothing to do with it.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:35 PM)
My point is that the plan was to use him at 1B this season as well, so it was obviously not that "out there" to have him playing 1B in a ST game. Both he and Ozzie liked the arrangement.

I think you'd have more of an argument if you asked what was he doing in that late in a game in which we were being blown out, but anybody can get hurt anytime playing baseball. I don't think it was something egregiously obvious like leaving in a pitcher for 130 pitches or asking the DH to play center.

I think when shockers like this happen we want to make sense of them and the easiest way to do that is blame Ozzie.

Hey, didn't AJ's Cub rival who punched him take one in the jewels behind the plate last year, ending his season? He was playing his position.

1.) I'm not trying to make sense of anything by blaming Ozzie, I just don't think Hall should have been at 1B, I'm still not convinced Hall was in the plans for 1B and I definitely don't think playing Hall at 1B this season would have been a good idea (said this when they signed him as well, you can go check that if you'd like.)

2.) You mention Barrett getting hurt while behind the plate? So what? Who cares? What does any of that have to do with this situation. You need to stop comparing this to any other situation, it's fairly simple Hall was playing out of position and got injured. He very well could have been playing his usual position and suffered a similar injury but he WAS NOT, he was at 1B. Those are the facts, mentioning other catchers who were injured while catching has nothing to do with this.