Interesting News

fathom

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 01:40 PM)
The pessimistic side of me hears what you're saying and agrees with most of it, except for the Logan/Thor parts. I'm pretty pumped to see Booney back. And I think Danks has a good shot at being a pleasant surprise. But beyond that, the whole Anderson/Erstad thing and the early signs from our pitching staff have me exceptionally worried about this being a down year.

But consider that me playing devil's advocate on the positive side on this team.

That's only the pessimistic side, in other words the worst case scenarios with a lot of that. I also like Thornton and Boone, I'm just worried about how Boone is going to be used this season if Ozzie is serious about using him as a long man. And as much as I love Thornton and I do think he's one of the top lefty relievers in baseball the guy doesn't exactly have a track record of success in the bigs.

I just wish there were more definite positives going into the season, it seems like a lot of the things I was worried about going into the Spring have been either confirmed or are still completely up in the air. It just hasn't been a great month for the team.

Why is it that every time I post something that's maybe pessimistic or a rebuttal to an optimistic post I get hit with some sort of sarcastic response saying maybe I should run the team since I am the all knowing? I wasn't even being incredibly serious with that long ass post, just listing a bunch of the concerns this team still has. I don't claim to be all knowing or make outrageous claims like I could run a baseball team with more success than KW or Oz like some people do (though I could probably do a better job than that asshat Bill Bavasi, that guy has no clue). Hell in another thread I said the Sox are a top 9 team in baseball, I think that's pretty optimistic. Maybe some people just take this internet s*** way to seriously.

If you think I'm bad, you should try reading some of the pro sports team specific blogs out there, that will give you some perspective. A lot of those guys are just brutal.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 01:51 PM)
That's only the pessimistic side, in other words the worst case scenarios with a lot of that. I also like Thornton and Boone, I'm just worried about how Boone is going to be used this season if Ozzie is serious about using him as a long man. And as much as I love Thornton and I do think he's one of the top lefty relievers in baseball the guy doesn't exactly have a track record of success in the bigs.

I just wish there were more definite positives going into the season, it seems like a lot of the things I was worried about going into the Spring have been either confirmed or are still completely up in the air. It just hasn't been a great month for the team.

Why is it that every time I post something that's maybe pessimistic or a rebuttal to an optimistic post I get hit with some sort of sarcastic response saying maybe I should run the team since I am the all knowing? I wasn't even being incredibly serious with that long ass post, just listing a bunch of the concerns this team still has. I don't claim to be all knowing or make outrageous claims like I could run a baseball team with more success than KW or Oz like some people do (though I could probably do a better job than that asshat Bill Bavasi, that guy has no clue). Hell in another thread I said the Sox are a top 9 team in baseball, I think that's pretty optimistic. Maybe some people just take this internet s*** way to seriously.

If you think I'm bad, you should try reading some of the pro sports team specific blogs out there, that will give you some perspective. A lot of those guys are just brutal.

I'd rather read Kalapse's sometimes negatively-tinged but always well-supported and well-thought out posts, than the unfounded, unsupported negative one-liners some people litter the board with.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 02:03 PM)
I'd rather read Kalapse's sometimes negatively-tinged but always well-supported and well-thought out posts, than the unfounded, unsupported negative one-liners some people litter the board with.

The funny thing is, I used to be considered an optimist. :huh:

If people have such a problem with "pesimistic" posts, then form a well thought out reply with facts and logic to support it. Simply calling someone's post "pesimistic" is just admiting that you don't have anything in the tank to support your disagreement with, for example Kalapse.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 10:40 AM)
But beyond that, the whole Anderson/Erstad thing and the early signs from our pitching staff have me exceptionally worried about this being a down year.

But consider that me playing devil's advocate on the positive side on this team.

On another bright side, the fortunes of this team do not hinge on who's playing CF and batting 2nd or 9th. It's a fun debate, but it's not going to make or break the season. If that were the case then BA's first half last season would've put them out of contention, which it didn't.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
On another bright side, the fortunes of this team do not hinge on who's playing CF and batting 2nd or 9th. It's a fun debate, but it's not going to make or break the season. If that were the case then BA's first half last season would've put them out of contention, which it didn't.

The top of the order very well could dictate the success of the team. If Thome is up with no one on base as much as I suspect he will be, this team could be in some serious trouble. The starting pitching is insanely important but it's not the only element that could break this team. And lets just say for the sake of argument that Darin Erstad plays defense in centerfield at about the same level as Mack did last season (I doubt he will be he very well could) that could very well keep the Sox out of the playoffs. Defense that bad at such a key position can destroy a team.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 06:02 PM)
The top of the order very well could dictate the success of the team. If Thome is up with no one on base as much as I suspect he will be, this team could be in some serious trouble. The starting pitching is insanely important but it's not the only element that could break this team. And lets just say for the sake of argument that Darin Erstad plays defense in centerfield at about the same level as Mack did last season (I doubt he will be he very well could) that could very well keep the Sox out of the playoffs. Defense that bad at such a key position can destroy a team.

The numbers don't back it up, but I will go to my grave saying that the White Sox make the playoffs last year if Rob Mackowiak doesn't play more than a handful of games in CF. There were just so many...so many missed plays...

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 05:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Erstad hit .300 in 70 ab's --by far the most on the team this spring. A case can be made for Pods being handed a job but Erstad proved himself.

He blooped his way to .300 and the number of at-bats shows Ozzie's preferences and the number of "a" games he has been playing.

Why do you care so much about batting average?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 08:03 PM)
The numbers don't back it up, but I will go to my grave saying that the White Sox make the playoffs last year if Rob Mackowiak doesn't play more than a handful of games in CF. There were just so many...so many missed plays...

Can't we say the same for whenever Buerhle pitched in the 2nd half ? How about when the White Sox offense couldn't produce anything besides HR's ? How about Bobby Jenks who wasn't very good in the 2nd half last season ?

I agree with you 100% on Mackowiak - he sucked in CF, and he shouldn't have been out there, but my point is that there were plenty of reasons why the White Sox were basically a .500 club after the fast start to the season.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 06:44 PM)
Can't we say the same for whenever Buerhle pitched in the 2nd half ? How about when the White Sox offense couldn't produce anything besides HR's ? How about Bobby Jenks who wasn't very good in the 2nd half last season ?

Eh, Jenks was still pretty darn good in the role of getting saves. Yes, you can say the same thing about Buehrle, and so on. The thing that bothered me about Mack in CF was that it was such an easy fix; just stop doing it. It's a lot harder to make a pitcher stop sucking than it is to not write Rob's name next to CF on the lineup card.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)
I agree with you 100% on Mackowiak - he sucked in CF, and he shouldn't have been out there, but my point is that there were plenty of reasons why the White Sox were basically a .500 club after the fast start to the season.

Mack was a liability in CF for sure, but his play didn't impact the team as much as BA's first half at the plate. It's a wash, at best.