Zambrano talking new teams already

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 09:36 PM)
And it's the right decision not to.

Well that, and next year's FA class has the potential to be LOADED with Andruw Jones and Ichiro already on the market and guys like A-Rod and Zambrano potentially going to be there. I'd throw gobs of money at the latter two. If there's an offseason to really splurge, it's next year -- fourth best player on the market (Ichiro) is arguably better than the best option on this past market (Soriano).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)
Well that, and next year's FA class has the potential to be LOADED with Andruw Jones and Ichiro already on the market and guys like A-Rod and Zambrano potentially going to be there. I'd throw gobs of money at the latter two. If there's an offseason to really splurge, it's next year -- fourth best player on the market (Ichiro) is arguably better than the best option on this past market (Soriano).

To my eyes, there's a huge difference in risk between splurging for $15 mil or so a season for 4 years on an Ichiro and splurging for 6-7 years at $20 mil a year on a Zambrano.

But who knows, maybe all the spending last year will depress the market just a little bit this year when there's real talent out there.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
To my eyes, there's a huge difference in risk between splurging for $15 mil or so a season for 4 years on an Ichiro and splurging for 6-7 years at $20 mil a year on a Zambrano.

But who knows, maybe all the spending last year will depress the market just a little bit this year when there's real talent out there.

It's a tough decision, that's for sure. If I were to rank them, I'd put A-Rod first -- like you say, hitters are most always a better bet for health reasons -- followed by Zambrano, Jones, and last Ichiro.

My feelings are that, if A-Rod opts out, the Sox ought to be first in line offering the biggest contract they've ever handed out. Reload the farm by trading Crede... I'd keep Uribe around because A-Rod's defense isn't going to get better and I can't see him moving back to SS after four years at 3B. And I'd move Fields to LF with Sweeney in right.

Edited by CWSGuy406

He's a hot head, and I think it is sooner rather then later when he does something incredibly stupid, making whichever team who signs him to a monster contract next year will regret it.

But, the one pitcher I would basically the whole bank book to is no other than the great Johan Santana.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 09:25 AM)
No, actually, I'm jaded by my hatred of the man. There are plenty of guys on the Cubs I'd be happy to have on a team I rooted for. Zambrano though, is just one of those very hateable people that I couldn't ever root for. Bonds, Canseco and Sheffield are in the same category. Just my feeling on the matter.

:cheers

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 09:25 AM)
No, actually, I'm jaded by my hatred of the man. There are plenty of guys on the Cubs I'd be happy to have on a team I rooted for. Zambrano though, is just one of those very hateable people that I couldn't ever root for. Bonds, Canseco and Sheffield are in the same category. Just my feeling on the matter.

Make that a double :cheers

As much as I dislike him, I'd certainly welcome Zambano to the Sox. But he's going to go where the most money is and I really doubt that JR is going to match Steinbrenner's offer. I could see the Sox going after Ichiro, but JR never gives huge contracts to pitchers.