BA, Molina(?) make the team (link)

jphat007

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 08:53 PM)
At least he made the roster. Too bad about Perez and Terrero. With Hall injured and no Perez, the Sox are going to struggle against LHP again.

We need Erstad/BA, Iguchi, Thome, AJ, and Uribe to have better years against lefties. And while Joe was solid against them, we need him to be even a little bit better.

I don't mention Pods because I imagine Pablo will be out there in his place against lefties. Though he did have a .404 OBP against lefties in 05. Not sure how that happened. But yah. he had a .348 OBP against righties last year when he sucked. Platoon him.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 02:57 AM)
Really freaking ridiculous that Perez doesn't make the roster. Then again, that's what happens when you choose to keep two (relatively useless) sub-750 OPS OFers, one of which is limited to a corner OF spot.

As things stand right now, we're worse off against LHP than we were last year.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really freaking ridiculous that Perez doesn't make the roster. Then again, that's what happens when you choose to keep two (relatively useless) sub-750 OPS OFers, one of which is limited to a corner OF spot.

I agree.

I'd take BA + Pods/Mack with 10-15 starts in CF for the year + Perez over Erstad, Pods, Anderson, Mack, and Pablo mashed together for two positions. :angry:

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 08:57 PM)

It would have been interesting to see how we would have worked Perez into the lineup. I don't think THome would have been happy with being platooned. And thats the only way we would have gotten him ABs for the most part. He's good against righties, but not better than Paulie so you wouldn't have wanted him in his spot.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 08:59 PM)
As things stand right now, we're worse off against LHP than we were last year.

Well, we need Uribe to hit like he did in 04 and 05 against lefties. That was a huge dropoff.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 10:04 PM)
It would have been interesting to see how we would have worked Perez into the lineup. I don't think THome would have been happy with being platooned. And thats the only way we would have gotten him ABs for the most part. He's good against righties, but not better than Paulie so you wouldn't have wanted him in his spot.

He could have gotten ~150 ABs this season taking a few at bats away from Thome as well as the occasional start in LF.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 09:06 PM)
He could have gotten ~150 ABs this season taking a few at bats away from Thome as well as the occasional start in LF.

I'm not sure they would have put him in left, but that's impossible to know.

It would have been interesting (I guess thats the word), to see how Thome would have reacted to having his ABs cut so drastically.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 03:04 AM)

He could have been a back-up first baseman. Oh wait, that's right.....we were grooming Toby Hall to be that.

Thome was 0-8 with 6 K vs Sabathia last year, 1-14 vs Cliff Lee, and 1-12 vs Kenny Rogers last year.

Perez hasn't faced C.C. much in his career, but he's 4-10 with a homer in his career against C. Lee, 6-24 with a homer vs Kenny Rogers, and he's 3-11 with 2 career homers vs Johan.

I don't understand why we released Perez though. I think he would at least provide good depth down at Charlotte.

Also, Molina sucks ass (excuse my French), and we are screwed at back-up catcher. At least Wiki has some MLB experience. Molina is just flat out terrible. For christ's sake, he can't even hit AA pitching! I'd rather have Dony Lucy because at least he has some potential!

This makes me question the Chris Stewart trade even more.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 03:06 AM)
Well, we need Uribe to hit like he did in 04 and 05 against lefties. That was a huge dropoff.

And Iguchi really stunk vs LHP last year. Like I've repeated many times, if we can't beat Santana, Sabathia, and Rogers more than once a piece this year, we have no prayer to make the playoffs.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 03:08 AM)

It would have been interesting (I guess thats the word), to see how Thome would have reacted to having his ABs cut so drastically.

The plan was to give Thome a little more rest this year.

Where does Molina rank on the all-time worst players to make the Sox out of Spring Training?

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 09:12 PM)
And Iguchi really stunk vs LHP last year. Like I've repeated many times, if we can't beat Santana, Sabathia, and Rogers more than once a piece this year, we have no prayer to make the playoffs.

Yah, like I said above, more than anything, we need to have some of the regulars start hitting well against lefties again(?). Iguchi, Uribe, Pods. I mean, Uribe kilt lefties in 05.

Seriously... how do you make the decision of Molina???

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=435238

I heard he played good defense at least, but from what I have seen, he is awful at getting up and throwing people out...

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 10:13 PM)

Where does Molina rank on the all-time worst players to make the Sox out of Spring Training?

Honestly, I don't know. I really don't understand this at all.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 10:08 PM)

How would of Thome reacted, who cares. He cant hit lefties. How about this, if he got upset show him his splits against the following. And unless he wanted to just wave the bat and make wind, he should be a team player and allow Perez to get some knocks.

Thome hit .236 with a .715 OPS against lefties.

Against the following lefties.

Cliff Lee he has a .071 BA with a .508OPS

CC Sabathia he has a .000 BA with a .273 OPS

Johan .190BA with a .880 OPS

Kenny Rogers .190Ba with a .653 OPS

Dropping Perez so we can have Prancer and company out there is silly. We pretty much are going to die as a team when we face a lefty. So get ready for the pull and lift approach, because with our splits against lefties each of our hitters better be swinging for the fences, because we dont string hits against good lefties, or bad lefties for that matter.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 03:14 AM)
Yah, like I said above, more than anything, we need to have some of the regulars start hitting well against lefties again(?). Iguchi, Uribe, Pods. I mean, Uribe kilt lefties in 05.

Yeah, it's one of the main reasons I was so concerned about the news regarding Hall. I thought he was really going to give us a lift vs LHP.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

....and Thome, BA/grinderstad like you originally listed. I'd say five ninth's of the lineup isn't "some." Don't hold your breath on that waiting for all 5 of these guys to turn it around against LHP.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously... how do you make the decision of Molina???

Have you ever seen him play first?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 03:18 AM)
....and Thome, BA/grinderstad like you originally listed. I'd say five ninth's of the lineup isn't "some." Don't hold your breath on that waiting for all 5 of these guys to turn it around against LHP.

What's your win prediction this year?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 09:18 PM)

I'm not saying they will. I'm saying we need them to.