Sisco and Aardsma Complete Bullpen

Dick Allen

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 10:55 PM)
Looks like OG and KW are determined to go with experience (DE over BA, Sisco over Logan, Aardsma over Floyd) and they're going to go down fighting before they sell out and go with the full-court youth movement in 2008.

It sure is looking like it. I can agree with this even though the Aardsma over Floyd was a wash since both were terrible.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 10:55 PM)
Looks like OG and KW are determined to go with experience (DE over BA, Sisco over Logan, Aardsma over Floyd) and they're going to go down fighting before they sell out and go with the full-court youth movement in 2008.

The only question is whether KW makes another move with the catching spot or waits on the 50/50 proposition that is Toby Hall's "rehab" to the point where he can at least hit.

I guess the only counterpoint is that they took BA over Eduardo Perez, otherwise, it's the veterans-first approach right now.

They had to take a younger player as the 25th man, it was going to be either Terrero or Anderson to fill the final spot on the bench otherwise there would be no one to backup centerfield. Oz would have taken a vet if he could have, the opportunity just never presented itself.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
i'm starting to become very pessimistic both about this season and this club in general... i just dont like the way things are running right now. They're handling the young guys horribly, meaning all these moves that are to "help us now and in the future" are going to do neither.

I agree completely... at first before ST around January I was very optimistic. But after this spring I am very pessimistic. I have no idea what the organization is trying to prove right now, and I am startig to get scared that they are going to ruin the future as well, unless their is an overhaul of the coaching and such. My pessimistic prediction of the day, which could also be considered positive is...

after half-way through the season and sitting in 4th or 5th place in the division standings, Ozzie blows up and quits, and Kenny gets fired.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 11:02 PM)
Logan: 11 IP, 0.00 ERA, 10 K, 4 BB, 4 H, 0 HR

Sisco: 10 IP, 7.20 ERA, 10 K, 6 BB, 10 H, 1 HR

Are you kidding me???... I'd really love to hear Ozzie's and Kenny's explanation for this blunder.

so much for "you earn your spot during spring training"

It's been obvious all spring that this organization was going to keep the guys they traded for over the ones that earned a spot, and that 3 lefties in the pen was not an option. Hence Aardsma over Haeger, Sisco over Logan, and Aardsma and Masset being locks. Only reason Floyd didn't make it is we aren't carrying 12 pitchers. Sadly, that appears obviously how they are making decisions.

And btw, I heard this on ESPN Radio at 6 PM, how did this thread take until it did to pop up?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 11:03 PM)
They had to take a younger player as the 25th man, it was going to be either Terrero or Anderson to fill the final spot on the bench otherwise there would be no one to backup centerfield. Oz would have taken a vet if he could have, the opportunity just never presented itself.

Ozuna supposedly has been playing very well in limited time in CF (in B and minor league games), but your point is taken, there will be no repetition of Mack (or Pods, for that matter) in CF.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 11:09 PM)
Ozuna supposedly has been playing very well in limited time in CF (in B and minor league games), but your point is taken, there will be no repetition of Mack (or Pods, for that matter) in CF.

If the Sox went into the season with Ozuna as the 4th outfielder there would be a major revolt by the fan base. The guy can't even play left. I wouldn't put it past Ozzie though.

Good point fathom.

Let's just hope spring training really is meaningless.

The team certainly did nothing of note except lose meaningless games.

What I like is potentially our bullpen is looking good if Bobby still has it.

I envision MacDougal being effective setup man with those other guys getting one or two

outs when need be. If MacD sucks, all bets are off I feel.

What I don't like is we had potentially a good fifth starter in

Brandon and/or Freddy. Instead we now have a guy who appears to be

a major question mark at best in Danks.

Hopefully the second lefty will help balance our staff a bit.

And hopefully our big four will return to dominance.

Pods however is one year older and likely slower.

Just one catcher in AJ which is nobody's fault of course.

A major question mark in Erstad, just like BA was a major question mark last year.

Infield looks good if it stays healthy.

Thome must stay healthy.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 11:09 PM)
It's been obvious all spring that this organization was going to keep the guys they traded for over the ones that earned a spot, and that 3 lefties in the pen was not an option. Hence Aardsma over Haeger, Sisco over Logan, and Aardsma and Masset being locks. Only reason Floyd didn't make it is we aren't carrying 12 pitchers. Sadly, that appears obviously how they are making decisions.

And btw, I heard this on ESPN Radio at 6 PM, how did this thread take until it did to pop up?

Well, they didn't force Floyd into the starting rotation over Danks at least. We'll see how well they wait to pull the trigger (it won't be like BA last year, you know that much) if Danks gets out of the box slowly and the team is in 3rd or 4th place and 4-8 GB. Last year, the standings allowed BA to stay in play much longer than a team like the Indians would have been able to stick with a struggling player (early on).

Then it really gets interesting, if they have to go to Floyd or beyond.

Then you have the doomsday situation, trading Thome or Konerko, Crede, Dye, Buehrle, Uribe, Iguchi, Pods, Erstad, Contreras, Vazquez, etc.

Let's hope it never comes to that.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 11:13 PM)
Well, they didn't force Floyd into the starting rotation over Danks at least. We'll see how well they wait to pull the trigger (it won't be like BA last year, you know that much) if Danks gets out of the box slowly and the team is in 3rd or 4th place and 4-8 GB. Last year, the standings allowed BA to stay in play much longer than a team like the Indians would have been able to stick with a struggling player (early on).

Then it really gets interesting, if they have to go to Floyd or beyond.

Then you have the doomsday situation, trading Thome or Konerko, Crede, Dye, Buehrle, Uribe, Iguchi, Pods, Erstad, Contreras, Vazquez, etc.

Let's hope it never comes to that.

If Konerko is traded... then I am done.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 11:17 PM)
I still don't think this is a bad team

We really do have a solid team but unfortunitely for us, were playing in the toughest division in baseball. It's a damn shame that in most divisions, we would be very dangerous and damn near 1st every season. Even last year 90+ wins couldn't get it done. Just in this era now our division has gotten tougher and tougher over the years.

/sigh

This spring training has become an absolute joke. I suppose with Floyd and Danks the statistics mattered in selecting the appropriate candidate, yet, not with Sisco and Logan.

Ridiculous.

Atleast now we're intent on delaying the development of Sisco into a starter AND denying Logan the roster position he has rightfully earned. Aardsma, by all accounts, doesn't deserve a position but he's a better option than Floyd. I don't mind that. It's just, again, everything has come together this spring to completely test my nerves as a Sox fan.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Logan should have made the team based on those stats.

I know it doesn't matter what players think, but it has to be demoralyzing for

team morale to see a guy with an 0.00 not make the team.

I'm assuming Logan is not some jerk who the players hate.

If he's a decent guy and does not have some personality flaw I think he should

have made the team.

I mean what more can a guy do??

QUOTE(greg775 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 11:23 PM)

have made the team.

Have been traded for this offseason and have the organization put him on the team no matter what to cover their own asses.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(greg775 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 10:23 PM)

have made the team.

Even if he does have an attitude problem, who cares? I'd like to believe conflicts between players and management (if they exist) can be resolved for the sake of our ballclub. Of the two remaining bullpen positions, Logan was the obvious choice. Sure, spring training statistics don't matter, but they should when someone has shown themselves worthy of a roster position.

Now, since they obviously feel giving Sisco and Aardsma (two guys traded for) chances over Logan, then I should hope that if their struggling for an extended period of time either are sent down immediately.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 11:29 PM)
I'm going to go out on a limb here.

McCarthy, Tracey, Anderson, Logan

Remember how much Ozzie hates it when his young players decide to open their mouths.

If Kenny is letting Ozzie do that than his seat should be just as hot, if not hotter.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 09:57 PM)
Is it true that Logan and Floyd are being sent down and Sisco and Aardsma made the team? I'm not a huge fan of his, but if Logan didn't make the team, what exactly does he have to do to make it?

Logan got screwed. You can't do much else than he did, and Sisco sucked. I know they're saying they want a pitcher to be able to throw 2 IP at a time, but I think you go with the better pitcher.