Evaluate the Spring Training moves

NorthSideSox72

Let's review the 4 big personnel decisions that Oz and company had to make during ST. Weve had discussions on all these individually, but I'm curious what people's perspective is when all the decisions were taken into account...

1. Brian Anderson vs Darin Erstad for CF. Decision made: Anderson makes roster, but as a backup OF.

2. 5th Starter. Decision made: John Danks.

3. Front 3 in the bullpen. Decision made: Masset, Sisco and Aardsma.

4. Dealing with the Hall injury. Decision made: Hall to go the PT route until May, and until then, going with Molina as the backup C (over Wiki).

So, taking those 4, how do you feel Ozzie and company did? What percentage score to you give on each? Here are my answers...

1. Brian Anderson deserved the starting job, clearly. Erstad should be the 4th OF. But, at least BA is on the roster, which is something. I'll go 25% on this one, overall bad, but a little consolation.

2. Danks deserved it, and won it. The right decision was made. 100%.

3. Masset's solid enough. Aardsma isn't ideal, I'd rather see Haeger there, but at least its not Floyd. And there is simply zero good reason (that I can see) for Sisco to be there over Logan. Just stupid. So here, I'll have to go 50%.

4. I think this is the right way to handle the situation. And I agree that Molina is a better choice than Wiki. I suspect that if Hall is a no-go in May, we'll trade for someone, and that's a good idea. So I'll give the crew credit on this one. 100%.

Average those out and its 68.75%. That's a "D". Anderson and Logan were screwed, but Danks, Aardsma (sort of), Masset and Molina were the right choices. I expect more from the manager than that. I hope Erstad and Sisco prove me wrong, but I doubt it at this point.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 08:00 AM)
Let's review the 4 big personnel decisions that Oz and company had to make during ST. Weve had discussions on all these individually, but I'm curious what people's perspective is when all the decisions were taken into account...

1. Brian Anderson vs Darin Erstad for CF. Decision made: Anderson makes roster, but as a backup OF.

4. Dealing with the Hall injury. Decision made: Hall to go the PT route until May, and until then, going with Molina as the backup C (over Wiki).

So, taking those 4, how do you feel Ozzie and company did? What percentage score to you give on each? Here are my answers...

1. Brian Anderson deserved the starting job, clearly. Erstad should be the 4th OF. But, at least BA is on the roster, which is something. I'll go 25% on this one, overall bad, but a little consolation.

3. Masset's solid enough. Aardsma isn't ideal, I'd rather see Haeger there, but at least its not Floyd. And there is simply zero good reason (that I can see) for Sisco to be there over Logan. Just stupid. So here, I'll have to go 50%.

4. I think this is the right way to handle the situation. And I agree that Molina is a better choice than Wiki. I suspect that if Hall is a no-go in May, we'll trade for someone, and that's a good idea. So I'll give the crew credit on this one. 100%.

Average those out and its 68.75%. That's a "D". Anderson and Logan were screwed, but Danks, Aardsma (sort of), Masset and Molina were the right choices. I expect more from the manager than that. I hope Erstad and Sisco prove me wrong, but I doubt it at this point.

If Ozzie has lost his confidence in Logan this week (remember last year against Hafner?), then it's the right choice for the ballclub.

They've watched Sisco for two years at the big league level, and know what he's capable of...as OG said in the newspaper, there's a very short rein on him, and that he really didn't deserve to make the ballclub. Let's not forget, the last Sox reliever to go from A ball or Rookie ball to the majors was Radinsky. If they need to replace Sisco or let him start, Logan's not far away.

Anderson versus Erstad, it's not who is the better player or who will be the better player, it's simply that OG and KW believe he gives us the best chance to win THIS year. If he fails, his contract is pennies and Anderson takes over, the same thing happened with Rowand and he survived Kenny Lofton and numerous attempts to take job away.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 08:00 AM)

1. The wild card here is Pods. He hasn't done anything to deserve the start in left. Brian should be in center and Erstad in left. I realize that leaves us without a lead off guy, but hey the coaches get paid big bucks to fix those kind of problems :) 25%

2. I agree with you 100%

3. I kinda agree with you as well. I think Haeger and Logon should be there. I'm not sure why we got so hung up on radar gun readings, but an outside 97mph fast ball is still an outside 97mph fastabll. Speed means nothing without accuracy. 25%

4. I agree with you. They might as well see what happens with Hall. It's not like we can get a FA catcher now that we won't be able to get in May. It doesn't hurt to wait and see. 100%

Edited by Controlled Chaos

NorthSideSox72,

If Anderson makes the team but doesn't start, how is that 25%? Shouldn't it be more like 50%?

The backup catcher was not that big of a deal in the overall picture since it was basically a non-factor last year. The bigger issue was a decent hitter who could hit LHP. We lost that and it was not addressed. Perez could have filled that need and subbed in for Thome or in LF against LHP. That would have taken away some of the impact of the Hall injury.

Everything is a personal opinion, but none of us have the true reasons on why things are being done. On the outside looking in, Anderson should be the starting CF with Logan in the pen, but for some reason that did not happen. All we can do is speculate.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 08:26 AM)
1. The wild card here is Pods. He hasn't done anything to deserve the start in left. Brian should be in center and Erstad in left. I realize that leaves us without a lead off guy, but hey the coaches get paid big bucks to fix those kind of problems :) 25%

2. I agree with you 100%

3. I kinda agree with you as well. I think Haeger and Logon should be there. I'm not sure why we got so hung up on radar gun readings, but an outside 97mph fast ball is still an outside 97mph fastabll. Speed means nothing without accuracy. 25%

4. I agree with you. They might as well see what happens with Hall. It's not like we can get a FA catcher now that we won't be able to get in May. It doesn't hurt to wait and see. 100%

If either Erstad or Pods don't perform, you will see Anderson in there. But that still doesn't solve the leadoff issue, and OG can't solve it either, only KW...

It would have to be Ozuna, Iguchi or (gasp) Uribe, and none of them are winning options for a multitude of reasons. You could get by with Ozuna (against lefties only), but are we ready to bat Mackowiak leadoff? I guess they've used Catalanotto this way in the past, but it's going to make our offense become static again, like 2006, when Pods couldn't or wouldn't run.

We might as well bring back Willie Harris, because KW had no desire to pay Pierre, Roberts, Mathews or Lofton even (that ship has sailed, no thanks on a return engagement).

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 08:37 AM)
NorthSideSox72,

If Anderson makes the team but doesn't start, how is that 25%? Shouldn't it be more like 50%?

The backup catcher was not that big of a deal in the overall picture since it was basically a non-factor last year. The bigger issue was a decent hitter who could hit LHP. We lost that and it was not addressed. Perez could have filled that need and subbed in for Thome or in LF against LHP. That would have taken away some of the impact of the Hall injury.

Everything is a personal opinion, but none of us have the true reasons on why things are being done. On the outside looking in, Anderson should be the starting CF with Logan in the pen, but for some reason that did not happen. All we can do is speculate.

Who's your leadoff hitter with Pods out of the line-up? Do you really want to see Perez "roaming" LF like some combination of Emil Brown, Manny Ramirez and Pete Incaviglia?

You pretty much have to use Ozuna in LF at this point against lefties.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 08:37 AM)
NorthSideSox72,

Well yes, all we are doing is speculating, since we're not Ozzie or KW. I'm not one of these people saying I would be better than them, as clearly I would not be. But speculating is what we do here (along with complaining, cheering and trying to be comedians). That's the type of discussion I was trying to get going.

Anderson is 25% because that's how often he'll be in CF.

1. I feel more comfortable with Erstad at the plate but with BA in the field. But Erstad is better in the field than BA is with the bat, so Erstad wins.

2. If Floyd can consistently throw strikes he will be a nasty major league pitcher. Lively fastball with movement and a sharp curve. Just needs to throw strikes.

Danks earned the #5 spot. He's going to be good but he too needs to throw strikes. I'm sure he'll be nervous his first start so I don't have to high expectations for him in the beginning.

3. Neither Sisco, Aardsma, Masset or Haeger did good. Choosing that bullpen spot was like the 2004 Presidential Election, everyone sucked but who sucked the least. Logan losing out was like the 2000 Presidential Election. Logan (Gore) was the better candidate but the voters were dumb so he lost.

4. Its sucks we already lost Hall, especially since he had such a nice spring. Using one of the rookies is the best option right now until we find the real NEED for a good backup.

1. 1 out of 4

2. 4 out of 4

3. 1 out of 4

4. Bust, I honestly don't know.

So 6 out of 12.

This applies to 2 of the decisions, both of which were probably decided since the beginning of the Spring, going against what was said just a week into the Spring.

"I don't give anybody the job just because -- you earn it," Guillen said. "I have a couple guys fighting for the job, and whoever performs better, that's who is going to stay."

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 08:40 AM)
If either Erstad or Pods don't perform, you will see Anderson in there.

Just like Ozzie did with Podsednik last year right? A Mackowiak/Gload/Ozuna platoon in LF would have been just fine. I would have had no problem seeing Mack or Iguchi leading off against righties and Ozuna leading off against lefties but the completely incompetent Podsednik was left out there to rot in the outfield. I don't have much faith that Ozzie would be able to pull the trigger on such a move this season, his history suggests a much.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 11:22 AM)
1. 1 out of 4

2. 4 out of 4

3. 1 out of 4

4. Bust, I honestly don't know.

So 6 out of 12.

This applies to 2 of the decisions, both of which were probably decided since the beginning of the Spring, going against what was said just a week into the Spring.

Just like Ozzie did with Podsednik last year right? A Mackowiak/Gload/Ozuna platoon in LF would have been just fine. I would have had no problem seeing Mack or Iguchi leading off against righties and Ozuna leading off against lefties but the completely incompetent Podsednik was left out there to rot in the outfield. I don't have much faith that Ozzie would be able to pull the trigger on such a move this season, his history suggests a much.

KW learned his lesson too. (I HOPE)

They didn't do enough scouting of Mackowiak's "reality" in CF (yeah, he'd played there before, just not well) to realize how exposed they were by relying completely on BA.

When you trade away Young, Webster, Rowand and Reed to help make way for Anderson (Young's another story), then he tanks, you're in trouble that Ruben Rivera can't solve.