Kenny Rogers Is going to be out for a while.

striker

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too much Chicken...

Anyway...KR is the one guy on Detroit who's probably the most likely to take a huge step backwards this year. Not only is he another year older after a big workload last year...but people will be watching his hand after the playoffs.

Fortunately, Andrew Miller isn't ready yet, so that does leave some weakness in Detroit's rotation.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 09:36 AM)
Anyway...KR is the one guy on Detroit who's probably the most likely to take a huge step backwards this year. Not only is he another year older after a big workload last year...but people will be watching his hand after the playoffs.

I don't expect Bonderman and Robertson to have career years this season, either. Detroit will be a good team this year, but they're not going to win the AL again.

Why wouldn't Bonderman improve? The guy is 24 has some of the best stuff in baseball and has improved each year since coming into the league. Everything points to him taking the next step and moving into the upper echelon of starting pitchers in the American League this season, I don't see much that would suggest otherwise. The guy is just nasty.

I do agree with you on Robertson though.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)
I don't expect Bonderman and Robertson to have career years this season, either. Detroit will be a good team this year, but they're not going to win the AL again.

But...they do get Maroth back from his injury and surgery last year. He was very effective before he was lost last year. That could fill in some of their issues. And of course, if they stay healthy, they've significantly upgraded their offense by adding a cleanup hitter.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 10:09 AM)
Why wouldn't Bonderman improve? The guy is 24 has some of the best stuff in baseball and has improved each year since coming into the league. Everything points to him taking the next step and moving into the upper echelon of starting pitchers in the American League this season, I don't see much that would suggest otherwise. The guy is just nasty.

I do agree with you on Robertson though.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 10:30 AM)
But...they do get Maroth back from his injury and surgery last year. He was very effective before he was lost last year. That could fill in some of their issues. And of course, if they stay healthy, they've significantly upgraded their offense by adding a cleanup hitter.

My mistake, I meant to say Maroth instead of Bonderman. Maroth was dismal until last season, so I don't see him repeating his brief '05 numbers.

The Tigers got career years out of Maroth, Bonderman, and Robertson last season (and arguably out of an aging Rogers as well). Especially with the added post-season innings, I don't see their pitching dominating this year like it did in '06. IMO, they're more of an 85-win team than a 95-win/AL Champ squad.

Again, how was last season a career year for Bonderman? It was his best season as a pro mainly because he's 23 but that's certainly not the best season he'll ever have in the bigs unless something goes seriously wrong. A 'career year' implies it was a fluke season (ex. Loaiza, '03) and he will never again reach the level of success he realized in 2006.

Bonderman, frankly, scares the hell out of me as a Sox fan. 24 years old this season with just nasty stuff and no real history of arm ailments.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
Again, how was last season a career year for Bonderman? It was his best season as a pro mainly because he's 23 but that's certainly not the best season he'll ever have in the bigs unless something goes seriously wrong. A 'career year' implies it was a fluke season (ex. Loaiza, '03) and he will never again reach the level of success he realized in 2006.

I think that our definitions of "career year" might differ somewhat. I don't think last season was a "fluke" and I don't think that that Bonderman will return to mediocrity, but I'm not convinced that he'll better his performance last season, either. What's to stop Bonderman from pulling an '06 Jon Garland?

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 01:50 PM)
I think that our definitions of "career year" might differ somewhat. I don't think last season was a "fluke" and I don't think that that Bonderman will return to mediocrity, but I'm not convinced that he'll better his performance last season, either. What's to stop Bonderman from pulling an '06 Jon Garland?

About the same thing that stopped guys like Roy Halladay, Johan Santana and Roy Oswalt from regressing after they tasted success for the first time in the bigs. Garland doesn't have anywhere near the pure stuff of a Jeremy Bonderman, they're not even in the same universe. Garland's 1 great season basically came out of nowhere, Bonderman's success has come gradually with experience and development at the big league level. If Garland were 23 in '05 with a high 90's fastball and 2-3 other plus secondary pitches then his chances of sustaining that success would have been greatly improved.

Once again, there isn't a single factor that says Bonderman will not progress into a dominant starter over the next 2 seasons. He has all the makings of an ace, something there aren't many of these days.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 01:50 PM)
but I'm not convinced that he'll better his performance last season, either. What's to stop Bonderman from pulling an '06 Jon Garland?

I know you weren't quoting me or anything but where do I start.... WTF? Jesus look at their history before you compare. That's a terrible comparison. I'll simplify this since I had to say this to another poster two years ago when I saw the improving Bonderman. He has improved in ALMOST EVERY STAT since he's been here. Each year he's basically went ^^^^^. How the hell is Garland comparable to that B.S.? Garland is a mediocre starter, a solid #3, a finesse, a 4.50 pitcher. Bonderman is a top of the rotation starter, a power pitcher, potential ace. Garland had his career/fluke/whatever year in 05. He's two years older than Jeremy. Almost every statistic Bonderman has improved in. Again I can take comparing starters that are studs, but that was just ugly.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 12:00 PM)
About the same thing that stopped guys like Roy Halladay, Johan Santana and Roy Oswalt from regressing after they tasted success for the first time in the bigs. Garland doesn't have anywhere near the pure stuff of a Jeremy Bonderman, they're not even in the same universe. Garland's 1 great season basically came out of nowhere, Bonderman's success has come gradually with experience and development at the big league level. If Garland were 23 in '05 with a high 90's fastball and 2-3 other plus secondary pitches then his chances of sustaining that success would have been greatly improved.

Once again, there isn't a single factor that says Bonderman will not progress into a dominant starter over the next 2 seasons. He has all the makings of an ace, something there aren't many of these days.

I left my crystal ball at home, so I suppose I can't claim that Bonderman won't win a Cy Young in a few years. I agree that he has the tools to do it.

My overall point was that three of the Tigers starters had, by far, the best seasons of their careers in '06. Even taking Bonderman out of the equation, I think it's highly-likely that the other two don't match those numbers this season. And I think it's also unlikely that a 42-year-old Kenny Rogers can repeat the second-best season of his career. Given that and the fact that the Tigers are relying heavily on thee aging, injury-prone players to score runs, I'd say that they win about 10 fewer games this season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 10:25 AM)
Bonderman, frankly, scares the hell out of me as a Sox fan. 24 years old this season with just nasty stuff and no real history of arm ailments.

and he's apparently added a change up to his arsenal, and they've always said he needs a 3rd pitch to go with the slider and heater to make him an ace.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 07:33 PM)
and he's apparently added a change up to his arsenal, and they've always said he needs a 3rd pitch to go with the slider and heater to make him an ace.

Bonderman is an example of a pitcher any team is quite capable of selecting if they're willing to take a chance. He was selected 26th overall in 2001.

That's why I dismiss people who complain about our lack of Top 10 draft selections. Take a risk and perhaps stray from the "safe" selections and a team such as the White Sox may have a Jeremy Bonderman.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 05:40 PM)
Bonderman is an example of a pitcher any team is quite capable of selecting if they're willing to take a chance. He was selected 26th overall in 2001.

That's why I dismiss people who complain about our lack of Top 10 draft selections. Take a risk and perhaps stray from the "safe" selections and a team such as the White Sox may have a Jeremy Bonderman.

that said, I really like what I saw in Russell this spring. I think he could play a big role in the near future.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 11:30 AM)

They did get Sheffield, but the good thing is, it looks like he's taking at bats away from Marcus Thames and his .882 OPS from last year.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)

Bonderman is a flat out good pitcher. He has front of the rotation stuff and has done nothing but get better each and every season at the major league level. He's still very young, has progressively thrown more innings, and barring serious injury (and he doesn't have a history of them) he should continue to get better and develop into one of the better pitchers in all of baseball.

Robertson on the other hand has absolutely no talent and I have no idea how he did as good as he did last season. Rogers is in a similar mold and I would expect a serious regression from Verlander due to him being overworked last year compared to the amount of work he had in prior seasons (he didn't get a nice steady innings increase like young pitchers should and it will likely result in some arm troubles). However, if Verlander stays healthy there is no reason why he won't duplicate last years numbers.

They also have Andrew Millers dynamite arm, although I still think Miller is far too raw to succeed as a major league pitcher right now (he'll need more time).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)

I was thrilled when the Tigers were talking about dealing him for a bat. Too bad they didn't go through with that. I also dont' mind Maroth, he's a decent pitcher and Ledezma is a good arm if he's healthy.

Ledezma struggled a lot early in his career with the Tigers (than again so did Maroth and Bondy when they first came up) but he has some darn good stuff from a lefty and can strike out pretty much anyone. He's the type of guy that if I were a GM I'd be all over picking up and trying to use him as a starter, otherwise I think he has a career as a stud left handed set-up man.

From ESPN:

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Kenny Rogers had surgery Friday to remove a blood clot from his left shoulder and repair arteries, and the Detroit Tigers pitcher likely will be sidelined for the first half of the season.

The 42-year-old left-hander had the operation in Dallas. He is expected to start throwing in six-to-eight weeks, and Tigers president Dave Dombrowski said the earliest Rogers would return to the rotation is July.

Perhaps the title of the thread should be re-worded now?

Edited by BigSqwert