Kenny Rogers Is going to be out for a while.

striker

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 11:34 AM)
I agree but if they somehow manage to hang around until July he might prove to be a nice shot in the arm for them when he returns.

Totally the wrong way to phrase that. :P

Anyway...I think there's also a real chance that Rogers could come back and struggle more than helping when he does return. I wonder how that newfound positive attitude he seemed to have last year will be able to take this injury.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
I think there's also a real chance that Rogers could come back and struggle more than helping when he does return.

I just figured since he doesn't rely on a power arm that he could be back in playing shape rather quickly.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
Totally the wrong way to phrase that. :P

Anyway...I think there's also a real chance that Rogers could come back and struggle more than helping when he does return. I wonder how that newfound positive attitude he seemed to have last year will be able to take this injury.

Now do they go with Miner or Miller?

We can only hope they want to give Miller a bit more seasoning before they start his arbitration clock and instead turn to Zach Miner to fill out the rotation. At least the Sox proved they could hit him last season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)

We can only hope they want to give Miller a bit more seasoning before they start his arbitration clock and instead turn to Zach Miner to fill out the rotation. At least the Sox proved they could hit him last season.

With the way Miner pitched last season, I think they'd be crazy not to give him a shot at least for the first month or two. Slowed down later in the year when people got to him, but he started off 6-1 with a 2.57 ERA before the AS game, gave them 100 innings, and wound up wiht a 7-6 record even with some struggles down the stretch (like a lot of the Tiger pitchers).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)

Chad Durbin

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
The Gambler goes down. He gambled and lost. That guys a douchebag.

Where the hell did Detoit get so many good pitchers.

They've been terrible for about 13 years now giving them some pretty high draft picks and Dave Dombrowski is a pretty good GM.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 01:53 PM)
They've been terrible for about 13 years now giving them some pretty high draft picks and Dave Dombrowski is a pretty good GM.

These are pitchers that they drafted right? That some good drafting.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 11:57 AM)

Verlander was a #2 draft pick in 2004.

Maroth was a 3rd round pick in 1998 by the Red Sox, dealt to the Tigers while still around A-ball.

Bonderman was a #26 pick in the 2001 MLB draft by the A's. He was considered a mistake of a draft pick by Billy Beane, and was dealt as the player-to-be-named in the deal that sent Jeff Weaver to the A's.

Zach Miner was traded to the Tigers as part of the Kyle Farnsworth deal.

Chad Durbin is a journeyman who started his career with the Royals and has pitched with Cleveland, Arizona, and Detroit in the past 2 years. He has a career record of 17-30 and an ERA over 6. I have no idea what Detroit sees in him.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 01:57 PM)

Bonderman they got in exchange for Jeff Weaver back in 2002.

Verlander they got with the 2nd overall pick in the 2004 draft.

Zumaya they got in the 11th round of the 2002 draft back when he was throwing in the low 90's. That was more of fluky luck than anything.

Maroth they got from Boston in exchange for Bryce Florie in 1999. He's not a great starter but certainly an effective one.

Robertson is a no talent hack who had a career year last season, the Sox actually drafted him twice but he did not sign. The Tigers got him from the Marlins in exchange for Mark Redman in 2003

Zach Miner they got from the Braves in exchange for Kyle Farnsworth at the trade deadline in '05. Great deal.

Andrew Miller they drafted 6th overall in last year's draft, easily the best pitcher in the whole damn thing, fell do to signability and the Tigers stole him with the 6th pick, great move.

Wilfredo Ledezma who is still young and pretty damn talented was a Rule V pick from the Red Sox in '02.

Fernando Rodney was signed as an amateur free agent from the Dominican Republic in 1997.

Yeah, they've done a pretty good job stock piling arms.

QUOTE(Dan @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
I don't care.

And neither does anyone about your fantasy team.

I also can't wait to hear that 's shut out with 10 Ks against the Sox wasn't so bad since he's on your fantasy team.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
And neither does anyone about your fantasy team.

Obviously since you felt so compelled to respond to my post, you do.

QUOTE(Dan @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)
Obviously since you felt so compelled to respond to my post, you do.

I really do care. When I go to a Sox game later this year I'll tell my friends that I hope Kenny Rogers returns soon and has great success. When they stop drinking their beer in disbelief and ask why I'll tell them some guy Dan from a White Sox message board has him on his fantasy team and everyone on the board is rooting for his team to be very successful this year regardless if it hurts the Sox's chances this season.

WELL WELL WELL

Suddenly things don't seem so desperate now, do they, seeing that other teams are having their problems too?

That is huge for Detroit. This would be like us losing Contreras.

So now that already one division rival is back down on Earth with us, who knows what will happen?

SEE?

So you can all step off... er, I'm not supposed to say that anymore. We can all relax now and just enjoy some freakin baseball! Three more days! YOWZA! :headbang

Edited by LVSoxFan

If the Sox lose Contreras they're f***ed seeing as how he's their best starter. Rogers on the other hand is the Tigers' 3rd best starter and once his replacement Chad Durbin s***s the bed we'll see another of their future aces in Andrew Miller. This injury sucks and all but it's hardly going to derail the Tigers' season.

Rogers started game 3 of the ALDS behind Verlander, game 3 or the ALCS behind Verlander and game 2 of the World Series behind Verlander. Hmm. Verlander and Bonderman = 23 year old inexperienced pups, Rogers = 41 year old seen-it-all vet with a perfect game and previous playoff experience under his belt and Verlander still pitched ahead of Rogers in each series.

Do you really think Kenny Rogers is better than Verlander or Bonderman?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)
If the Sox lose Contreras they're f***ed seeing as how he's their best starter. Rogers on the other hand is the Tigers' 3rd best starter and once his replacement Chad Durbin s***s the bed we'll see another of their future aces in Andrew Miller. This injury sucks and all but it's hardly going to derail the Tigers' season.

But.....he has only pitched fifteen innings in the Detroit Tigers organization. How can you determine that!?!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
Do you really think Kenny Rogers is better than Verlander or Bonderman?

He was better than Bonderman last season and about as good as Verlander. I think that Leyland deliberately had Rogers pitch at home during the postseason. I clearly recall him REFUSING to pitch Rogers in St. Louis in the WS.

That said, Rogers will probably be a non-factor until at least August this year.