Whalen: On Podsednik, Jenks' Velocity, Closer situation

Gregory Pratt

I asked him,

You know what? That top of the order is hideous. Unless Podsednik magically remembers how to hit again and Erstad remembers what it was like to be healthy. Will they? I doubt it, but I hope so.

I don't expect you to ask Ozzie this, so I'll simply ask your feelings on the subject: if Scotty Pods fails to crack a .300 OBP for a significant part of the year this year, like he did in last year's second half, would Ozzie bench him?

and

Why isn't Jenks hitting above 93 or so this Spring?

Two more questions answered for my final blog entry of the spring.

Ozzie has full faith that Podsednik will bounce back and have a solid OBP. If he doesn’t, Ozzie loves Erstad. Now, if either of them get injured or have a rough go of it, then the Sox are heading towards a trouble area. Ozuna and Iguchi would be the next two in line for the leadoff spot.

Why Ozzie has faith in Podsednik, I don’t know, but the manager is looking at the bright side.

As far as Jenks’ velocity, here’s what he had to say:

“Still not concerned about that,” Jenks said of his velocity. “Just knowing I'm able to stay in control of what I'm doing out there, it's easier for me to go out and build up arm strength quicker, because I am under control.”

Jenks velocity was a consistent 94 the other day, the highest it’s been all spring. The closer said his velocity wasn’t back to normal last season until a month into it. After his last two outings, the Sox are feeling a lot better about Bobby. He struck out three, allowed two hits and was all around crisper in his 2 1/3 innings of work.

If things start off badly Ozzie will show a little patience, but could quickly lose it and go with a closer by committee with Thornton leading the way.

Thornton should not lead the closer by committee; no way do you put your best lefty - but not best reliever - into that situation and then leave Sisco out to dry.

However, I wouldn't expect MacDougal to close over Thornton, because that would make too much sense, seeing as how he's better and right-handed.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 08:55 AM)
Thornton should not lead the closer by committee; no way do you put your best lefty - but not best reliever - into that situation and then leave Sisco out to dry.

Of course, if we had the lefty with the 0 ERA in the pen instead of the lefty with the 6 ERA...

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 09:25 AM)
If Logan is closing games this year, we're in serious trouble.

He will be, just in AAA.

Anyway, the thing i was implying was that if our 2nd lefty was a bit more intelligently chosen...it might be more tolerable to put Thor into the closer role.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 08:31 AM)
He will be, just in AAA.

Anyway, the thing i was implying was that if our 2nd lefty was a bit more intelligently chosen...it might be more tolerable to put Thor into the closer role.

I really believe Sisco is on a very, very short leash. A few blown leads and that guy is flying coach to Charlotte and waving at Boone in the departure lounge.

As for the Pods thing, I'm rooting for him to have a good year obviously, but if he starts with another disastrous April I hope to god ozzie will at least move him down in the line up, if not on the bench. It's one thing when your 8 or 9 hitter struggles, but lead off is too crucial. And Pods pouts too damn much when he's not going right. He should also be on a very short leash. I think Ozzie is enamored with how hard he is on himself. He needs to get over it. The first month of our schedule is brutal.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)
are we gonna do the whole Jenks velocity thing again this year. Yeah we know Pods and Erstad are the two worst hitters ever and this team is gonna win 60 games.

Heard it all before.

I agree 100%. We heard the SAME exact thing about Bobby's velocity last year in ST. God, the negativity in this forum is absolutely insane! I just joined, but I could only IMAGINE what people were saying when Cleveland was on our tail late in the season 05. My guess is a majority poll of people here would say they were going to miss the playoffs entirely...

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 01:33 PM)
I just joined, but I could only IMAGINE what people were saying when Cleveland was on our tail late in the season 05. My guess is a majority poll of people here would say they were going to miss the playoffs entirely...

No, not really.

I'm not ready to call 1 year a trend, just because Jenks regained some of his velocity last year after not having much in the spring does not mean he'll do the same this season. Not to mention the fact that he completely broke down in the second half last year, these factors are not exactly encouraging. There's already reports that Jenks has gained weight since arriving in Arizona and his arm is still being held together by a few screws.

Luckily there's a pretty solid backup plan in Mike MacDougal, though having to use him would take all the depth out of the pen, I'm not all that worried about the closer.

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 01:33 PM)
I agree 100%. We heard the SAME exact thing about Bobby's velocity last year in ST. God, the negativity in this forum is absolutely insane! I just joined, but I could only IMAGINE what people were saying when Cleveland was on our tail late in the season 05. My guess is a majority poll of people here would say they were going to miss the playoffs entirely...

everyone freaks out easily around here. Sox lose like 2 games in a row and they want KW head. Oh and Pods and Erstad are the devil.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 01:42 PM)
everyone freaks out easily around here. Sox lose like 2 games in a row and they want KW head. Oh and Pods and Erstad are the devil.

Is this all you have on your mind or do you have anything else to share outside of conjecture? At least the people who are 'freaking out' have an argument behind their statements.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 12:38 PM)
No, not really.

I'm not ready to call 1 year a trend, just because Jenks regained some of his velocity last year after not having much in the spring does not mean he'll do the same this season. Not to mention the fact that he completely broke down in the second half last year, these factors are not exactly encouraging. There's already reports that Jenks has gained weight since arriving in Arizona and his arm is still being held together by a few screws.

Luckily there's a pretty solid backup plan in Mike MacDougal, though having to use him would take all the depth out of the pen, I'm not all that worried about the closer.

Do you think it's a bit of a stretch to say he "completely broke down"? I mean, he was 41 of 45 save opps as I recall (I am not looking at the stats). Yes, he blew some big games for us- in fact the one against Boston at Fenway I ended up punching my desk and smashed it up pretty good. He sucked as did the rest of the bullpen in the second half but I still dont think it was a complete break down...I think that's a bit of an overstatement...

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 02:35 PM)
Do you think it's a bit of a stretch to say he "completely broke down"? I mean, he was 41 of 45 save opps as I recall (I am not looking at the stats). Yes, he blew some big games for us- in fact the one against Boston at Fenway I ended up punching my desk and smashed it up pretty good. He sucked as did the rest of the bullpen in the second half but I still dont think it was a complete break down...I think that's a bit of an overstatement...

Also if I recall it was his first full season in the majors... but I might just be making up things. :P

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 02:35 PM)

Fine, he broke down, take away the adverb and it stands true. He lost a ton of velocity, wasn't snapping his curve, lost all control of his pitches and was being used in non-save situations (mainly because they weren't leading very often after 8.) I don't have a lot of confidence in a guy who from July 5th through the end of the year was pretty ineffective. Which sucks because he's one of the most talented pitchers to ever wear a Sox uni.

OPENING DAY - JULY 4:

2-1 | 38 G | 25 SV | 37.1 IP | 28 H | 10 R | 10 ER | 11 BB | 43 K | 2 HR | 2.41 ERA | 1.02 WHIP | 4 SB

JULY 5 - SEPT 29:

1-3 | 29 G | 16 SV | 32.1 IP | 38 H | 22 R | 21 ER | 20 BB | 37 K | 3 HR | 5.85 ERA | 1.79 WHIP | 7 SB

Luckily the Sox have MacDougal backing him up, so I'm not incredibly worried. That SEPT 8th game Vs Cleveland still gives me nightmares. SO MANY DOUBLES!!