Scott Miller of cbssportline also picks Sox 4th

caulfield12

We have not done anything to merit a high ranking in our division, so these rankings are fair. Plus, it is so much better being the hunters, not the hunted. This season is very similar to the 2005, at least the negativity. Not saying we are gonna win the world series, but the pre-season negativity is similar.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 12:16 PM)
That's rather ironic considering that Kenny Willliams was telling him in that recent interview that the national guys are getting the White Sox plan, and the locals aren't.

I think it's different understanding intellectually/philosphically where an organization or GM is coming from AND still picking them 4th THIS season, and, as everyone has noted, there's such a slight differentiation between the top four teams in the division.

Next year or the year after, the moves will make a lot more sense (or not), like the Sox trading Lee for Pods and letting Ordonez and Valentin go, allocating that money to pay 8 other players that helped lead us to a championship.

If at least two of those pitchers (Floyd, Gio, Danks, Masset, Rasner) make a lasting impact, then KW will look pretty smart.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 01:30 PM)
I expect Detroit to be good, but I still look at their record in the 2nd half, 40-41, and think this team had a lot of things go their way in the first half. We know what that's like. And we also know it doesn't always go your way two years in a row.
They were even worse from August 1st on (25-32).

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10096564

Ooops, I meant Scott Miller!

I'm glad these meatheads are picking us 4th. I hope every one of the articles is going up on a bulletin board in the locker room. I haven't seen any one of these with anything resembling a reasonable analysis.

They just follow what they see. Sox picked 4th in '05- win the World Series. So they pick the Sox 1st in '06-good but not great 90 win season. Tigers go to the World Series. They get picked 1st or second. Minnesota goes to the playoffs- they get picked in the top 3.

You can't reasonably say that Minnesota has a better rotation than anyone but KC. Ponson? Silva? Perkins, Bonser? Are they likely better than anyone but Danks in our rotation? They've got an Ace and 4 4-5s who have to pitch they other 130 games.

So they're the "teams to beat" until the "surprising" White Sox show up, with their success being attributed likely to old small-balls Guillen and Erstad.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
So am I the only one that doesn't buy this at all?

No, you're not.

I don't know how the pressure is off. Sure, it may be off in the beginning of the season; but if we're in contention no one is going to surprised. I'll sure as hell guarantee anyone that the pressure will mount if we're struggling out of the gate. Even with varying opinions on our success from fans, Williams isn't treating this season as a rebuilding effort. He'll be justly criticized for our failures.

A major league ballclub configured specifically for contention shouldn't need bulletin board material from baseball writers selecting them for 3th or 4th place. Only motivation necessary is winning, and perhaps earning themselves a large payday further down the road.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, you're not.

I don't know how the pressure is off. Sure, it may be off in the beginning of the season; but if we're in contention no one is going to surprised. I'll sure as hell guarantee anyone that the pressure will mount if we're struggling out of the gate. Even with varying opinions on our success from fans, Williams isn't treating this season as a rebuilding effort. He'll be justly criticized for our failures.

A major league ballclub configured specifically for contention shouldn't need bulletin board material from baseball writers selecting them for 3th or 4th place. Only motivation necessary is winning, and perhaps earning themselves a large payday further down the road.

If you are a good team and you expect your team to win then the pressure is always on to win. You place that pressure on yourself. It is when you are on an awful team and you know it that there is no pressure to what you do or your team does. I suspect that everyone on this team expects to win and beleives they have a good team. If that is so, then the pressure is there for them to win. The pressure doesn't come from the media.

This is a good team. Most, if not all, writers do not get a chance to see every team play. There is no way that they could possibly make a fair assessment of all the teams in the league, which is why they are almost always wrong. They get their opinions from listening to other people's opinions and then come up with their own. There is no reason to think these "experts" know any more than a good baseball fan and there is no reason a good baseball fan should care that much about what these "experts" have to say about their favorite team. It makes for good conversation and debate, but that is about it.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 01:50 PM)
Wow. I almost spit out my soft drink as I read that.

It's the classic "Give 1 guy a 15 second head start and see if everyone else can catch up" scenario.

Santana + Nathan. It's simply impossible to have a bad pitching staff with that. It's always going to at least be decent.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 03:51 PM)
It's the classic "Give 1 guy a 15 second head start and see if everyone else can catch up" scenario.

Santana + Nathan. It's simply impossible to have a bad pitching staff with that. It's always going to at least be decent.

+ Neshek + Rincon + Guerrier the rest is pure dogs*** or unproven young talent.

They have the best pitcher in baseball, the mvp, and a great closer, so they have to be the best in their division!

That sort of logic may work in basketball with 5 starters logging most of the minutes, but I just don't see how sports people are applying it to baseball where you have to be solid and deep in so many other positions...