Work Out Question

LowerCaseRepublican

Hey gang, I am trying to put on 20-25 lbs. of lean mass by the end of August. I work out for about an hour each morning (mostly light weights/resistance, crunches, etc.) and then again after work (more heavy weight training with the gym provided at the school -- despite it being a bit limited)

So, I am eating a lot of protein already and carbs, staying away from soda and crap foods except for one treat per grocery shopping (i.e. a bag of chips or a bag of cookies) time out to the store about every two weeks. However, no matter how many calories I am packing away, I am sticking at the 145-148 lb. level. I can't seem to get a lot of mass to stick on the frame but there is a very noticeable difference from before I started my workouts and now with lean tissue etc.

What would people suggest as a non-budget busting way to gain more muscle mass on the frame? After all, remember that I have a limited income being a first year teacher, haha. Thanks in advance.

20-25 lbs of pure "lean mass" is quite hard to do in a 5 month span. You already have the basics (lean protein, good carbs, no crap food). I think two things you have to do is eat a lot of good calories (no junk food, as you are already doing) and basically take in more calories than you exert. The main problem with that is you run the risk of gaining fat instead of muscle, but if you are working out regularly you should be good. I prefer to use 500-calorie protein shakes after a workout. Also, if you aren't already, i read a few articles saying to lift very heavy weights, not heavy to the point that you break form to lift them, but heavy to the point you can only do 4-6 reps in a set.

With that said, I work out regularly but am FAR from a fitness expert. I've struggled as well to put on lean mass and lose my last bit of fat. Your best bet would be to do some research online to find different ideas. Good luck with it.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 09:15 PM)
Did you not get my PM?

I basically said everything that was posted in here :lol:

I did read your PM.

I was looking for like product recommendations etc. Cuz in a GNC type store, I am more confused than a baby at a topless bar.

I haven't been doing much cardio cuz I know that burns an assload of calories and I've already got a high metabolism. I've focused mostly on weight training stuff (lighter stuff in the morning and/or using my own body's resistance) and more gym heavy weights after work in the afternoon.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 08:25 PM)
I did read your PM.

I was looking for like product recommendations etc. Cuz in a GNC type store, I am more confused than a baby at a topless bar.

I haven't been doing much cardio cuz I know that burns an assload of calories and I've already got a high metabolism. I've focused mostly on weight training stuff (lighter stuff in the morning and/or using my own body's resistance) and more gym heavy weights after work in the afternoon.

Depends on what you are trying to do. My fav protein right now is Muscle Milk light, because its lower on cals and fat. The original formula can help add mass, dont be fooled by the fat content on the label. For slimming down I use Isopure because its zero carb. Ask the guy at the store, sometimes they can be very helpful.

Unless you plan on juicing up, you're goal by August is just about impossible. I've always been a 'hard gainer' and this is what works for me:

Forget about cardio, lifting 'light' and the 'two a days'. Cardio will burn weight off, lifting light will make you 'cut' but will not add one bit of size and two a days is over training.

LIFT HEAVY, it's the only way too bulk up. Use weight that only allows you to do between 4 and 6 reps, if you can do more than 6 reps, the weight is too light, add more.

Allow 3 days of recovery before you work a muscle group again. You're gonna be sore as hell since you'll be lifting extremely heavy weight. Adequate recovery time is crucial for your muscles.

Eat like a horse and don't be too strict with the carbs and fat, remember you're trying to bulk up.

Drink a ton of water and make sure you're getting 8 hours of sleep every night.

Don't waste too much money on supplements. Pick up some whey protein with a few amino acids in it for your milk shakes and that should be enough. You're not training for the Mr. Olympia title.

QUOTE(thefaint287 @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 12:16 PM)
You dont build muscle when you lift. Only when you rest. train only one muscle group every three days. lift heavy. eat peanut butter the kind with no sugar added. eat lots of eggs body builders eat a dozen eggs a day

Welcome to Soxtalk!!!

:cheers :cheers :cheers

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 03:32 AM)
Unless you plan on juicing up, you're goal by August is just about impossible. I've always been a 'hard gainer' and this is what works for me:

Forget about cardio, lifting 'light' and the 'two a days'. Cardio will burn weight off, lifting light will make you 'cut' but will not add one bit of size and two a days is over training.

LIFT HEAVY, it's the only way too bulk up. Use weight that only allows you to do between 4 and 6 reps, if you can do more than 6 reps, the weight is too light, add more.

Allow 3 days of recovery before you work a muscle group again. You're gonna be sore as hell since you'll be lifting extremely heavy weight. Adequate recovery time is crucial for your muscles.

Eat like a horse and don't be too strict with the carbs and fat, remember you're trying to bulk up.

Drink a ton of water and make sure you're getting 8 hours of sleep every night.

Don't waste too much money on supplements. Pick up some whey protein with a few amino acids in it for your milk shakes and that should be enough. You're not training for the Mr. Olympia title.

I disagree to a point. Lifting only heavy weights is not a great idea IMHO. You stand a chance of losing a lot of mobility and felxibility. It's a given you have to stretch every workout, but I'd say mix in lighter (I don't mean light, I mean where you hit 12, 10, 8, 6, 8, 10, 12). You shouldn't be able to do it in five months, but everyone is pretty dead on here. Putting on muscle is hard for just about everyboy. I could help you so much more on losing weight.

And in all honesty, I don't think it'd be very healthy for you to put on that much muscle mass that quickly.

Just a small comment. I am certain you have a great reason to run your weight up to that level. Along the way, think of your workouts as a lifetime journey, and build it in a way that you can sustain throughout your life.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 10:12 PM)
I disagree to a point. Lifting only heavy weights is not a great idea IMHO. You stand a chance of losing a lot of mobility and felxibility. It's a given you have to stretch every workout, but I'd say mix in lighter (I don't mean light, I mean where you hit 12, 10, 8, 6, 8, 10, 12). You shouldn't be able to do it in five months, but everyone is pretty dead on here. Putting on muscle is hard for just about everyboy. I could help you so much more on losing weight.

And in all honesty, I don't think it'd be very healthy for you to put on that much muscle mass that quickly.

I do pyramid sets where I do 12 reps of lighter weight and work up to 6 or 4 reps of heavy weight. I feel that gives me a little of both.

somebody got a new keyboard

He only mentioned wanting to put on bulk, not flexibility or mobility.

IMHO the 12, 10, 8,6,10,12 pyramid is waaaaay too many sets per exercise.

I do a 'warm up' set of about 16 reps with moderately light weight, then I do 3 more sets, each one with more weight and less reps then the last. So it's 16, 8, 6, 4 reps.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 02:29 AM)

I do a 'warm up' set of about 16 reps with moderately light weight, then I do 3 more sets, each one with more weight and less reps then the last. So it's 16, 8, 6, 4 reps.

See I disagree. If you're maxing out, then yes. I would get up to thirty for pure endurance, as I had to be careful adding bulk to my frame as I was already cutting 20+ pounds. And wanting to put on that much bulk in such a short time would change the way you move etc. It would not be healthy. Hence why I said be careful concerning your flexibility and mobility. In five months, that much bulk, his body would not be fully able to adjust the way it should. I brought up flexibility and mobility as something to keep in mind.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 12:53 AM)
somebody got a new keyboard

Yay for my girlfriend hahaha

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 11:17 PM)
Just a small comment. I am certain you have a great reason to run your weight up to that level. Along the way, think of your workouts as a lifetime journey, and build it in a way that you can sustain throughout your life.

I agree 100%.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 01:29 AM)

well I do it like this...... start out with the heaviest you can lift to do 10 reps max then do two sets. then lower the weight and do two more sets all the way down to where you cant do another. work it til exaustion.

QUOTE(thefaint287 @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 11:06 AM)
well I do it like this...... start out with the heaviest you can lift to do 10 reps max then do two sets. then lower the weight and do two more sets all the way down to where you cant do another. work it til exaustion.

I can see how that would work, I'd still throw in a warm up set at the beginning though. It's easier to injure yourself if you jump right under heavy weight.....then again I'm a lot older than you guys :D, so I fall apart more quickly.

QUOTE(thefaint287 @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)

That works, I personally perfer more than two sets, but I can see what you're saying. If I go heavy to light, I usually get a couple heavy sets in, then get a speed endurance set in.

There's a program called "Big Beyond Belief" my friend has the book, and I will see who wrote it, but you may want to try googling it.

With that said, the percentage of "lean mass" you want to put on is HIGH. I would imagine you're going to struggle to do it with legal supplements.

Be careful, remember a break for a few days for muscle repair can do wonders.

I just wanna get from 145-148 to about 170 and not have it look like I've got a small alien baby incubating in my gut. My hopeful goal was to have it all done or good progress done on it by the start of the academic school year.

I've been eating healthy and taking in two to three protein shakes a day (40 g each) plus eating lots of poultry (and carbs about an hour after I work out in the morning) and other high protein stuff (i.e. cottage cheese since it was on sale for dirt cheap this week during grocery shopping time) I decided to do my morning workouts three times a week and hitting them hard. I really like the morning ones especially during the week because it gets me going and energetic in the mornings.

My dream is to have it be extra muscle, not in the bodybuilder really big stuff but just to be a bit bigger stature-wise (especially in chest and biceps/triceps) rather than the 145 that I am. I'm fairly cut right now but want to keep that and just be about 20-25 lbs. larger, haha.

So, I am ordering myself some new adjustable dumbbells so I can lift heavy and decided to work out three days a week (MWF) only. (And a little stretching yoga on the off days to get the blood flowing)

I have been eating my target weight in grams of protein every day, eating simple sugars during/immediately after the workout and then a bigger carb oriented meal about an hour afterwards to stay full for a while. I've also got a protein shake to drink that has 40 g of protein in each. Then, I plan on eating like a hoss for the rest of the day. I'm starting out at about 145 right now and we'll see how it all goes. Here's to hoping to be at about a toned 160-165 in 4-5 months.

Thanks for the help, everyone.