So Buehrle Looked Good Yesterday

LVSoxFan

Fastball hit 90. Was hitting his spots. Cutter was working. Kept the ball down. Worked both sides of the plate. Kept hitters off balance . Yup was vintage Mark. Increased hope around here a lot. Without a Good MB theres really little chance of making the playoffs.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

He was hitting his spots to an extent, it was not 'vintage Mark'. He was still leaving all of his changeups up and overthrowing a bit at times. It was incredibly encouraging and makes me feel a little better about him going into the season but the guy still walked 3 and K'd 1, he wasn't exactly mowing them down out there. I'd like to see him spot that change with a little more accuracy and pound the righties in with his fastball with regularity.

Encouraging? Yes. Stellar? No.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 03:24 AM)
He should just ditch the damn changeup, it's the one pitch that hurts him the most, by far, and everything else he was throwing looked good yesterday. I think if he dumped the change for good, he'd be better off.

I don't mind the changeup, as long as he doesn't throw it for a strike. Garland's the one who always gets his changeup hit into the picnic area at the Cell.

I don't think he looked so hot. Yeah, he got hitters out in a meaningless game, but his velocity wasn't quite up to speed no matter what the radar said, his location was much too high too often and his breaking stuff was erratic with much of it guilty of being high.

Buehrle's a smart pitcher with guts. I hope that's good enough for him to finish above .500. I believe his arm is not what it used to be, and isn't about to get any better with this being the second season of it being off its long-time peak.

QUOTE(BainesHOF @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 11:55 PM)
I don't think he looked so hot. Yeah, he got hitters out in a meaningless game, but his velocity wasn't quite up to speed no matter what the radar said, his location was much too high too often and his breaking stuff was erratic with much of it guilty of being high.

Buehrle's a smart pitcher with guts. I hope that's good enough for him to finish above .500. I believe his arm is not what it used to be, and isn't about to get any better with this being the second season of it being off its long-time peak.

Let's not forget he made the all-star game last year for a reason. He had an excellent first third of the season, so it hasn't been THAT long since he's been a stud pitcher.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 10:49 PM)
The allstar appearance was because Ozzie was the manager. The only guy less deserving of a spot was that cat from the royals.

When the selections were made he was 9-4 with a 3.22 ERA, I'm not quite sure how that's not All-Star worthy. Unfortunately he started getting rocked with that Cubs' game like the next day...

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 12:49 AM)
The allstar appearance was because Ozzie was the manager. The only guy less deserving of a spot was that cat from the royals.

previous to june when the all-star roster was being decided, he had an ERA near 3. if that doesn't qualify you, what does?

QUOTE(ScottyDo @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 11:58 PM)
previous to june when the all-star roster was being decided, he had an ERA near 3. if that doesn't qualify you, what does?

I'm not saying he wasn't good during that period... just that there were better pitchers who deserved it more then him...

Refer to Mussina, Schilling, and Lirianos numbers over the same period and tell me he earned it more then them. Look I didn't have problem with him being there. He was pitching pretty good at the time and coming off a great world series... but the fact remains, if anyone else is managing that game Mark is watching from home.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 02:54 AM)
Liriano made it eventually and everyone knew he would, Mussina was better but Schilling was equal to Buehrle at best.

Remembering pointless information from 9 months ago isn't my strong suite. However, my point still stands.... Ozzie Guillen is the reason he was an allstar (and there is nothing wrong with that).

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 03:06 AM)
Remembering pointless information from 9 months ago isn't my strong suite. However, my point still stands.... Ozzie Guillen is the reason he was an allstar (and there is nothing wrong with that).

So why was he an all-star in 2002 and 2005? Let it go. Mark was more than deserving at the time he was selected.