Abolish bilingual education, Gingrich urges

BigSqwert

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
but because one segment figures that its their birthright to force us to speak their language its a joke.

Can you elaborate on that?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 05:25 PM)
Which, interestingly enough, is exactly how it works today as well.

EnglishLang_atHome.gif

Exactly. That's precisely how it has worked and continues to work today. From my experiences, there are far more second-generation children that speak English and know very little of their parents' native language than there are second-generation kids that know another language and very little English.

It does take a little bit of time, but immersing them into classes that only speak English as early as possible is probably the best way. A little bit of help through bilingual education as they learn English is probably beneficial, but not so much that it becomes a crutch.

Trying not to turn this into a flame, how does America benefit if everyone speaks English? I can easily see how having a bilingual population helps to compete in a global economy, but how does it improve America? How does it make our lives better if all immigrants spoke English?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 08:02 PM)
Trying not to turn this into a flame, how does America benefit if everyone speaks English? I can easily see how having a bilingual population helps to compete in a global economy, but how does it improve America? How does it make our lives better if all immigrants spoke English?

Makes people feel superior and who knows. It wouldn't effect me so much. I am sure many immigrants know they need to learn english, easier said than done. I say anyone who is against it should go move abroad trying to make a better life for their families, and be told they shouldn't speak their native language and have to learn the new language if they want to do anything...

this is where we (USA) are just a bunch idiots. went to italy 2 years ago. most restaurants had the menu written in at least 6 different languages. (spanish, italian, german, english, french and japanese) and we like to b**** about 1. what a joke.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 08:33 PM)
this is where we (USA) are just a bunch idiots. went to italy 2 years ago. most restaurants had the menu written in at least 6 different languages. (spanish, italian, german, english, french and japanese) and we like to b**** about 1. what a joke.

But the Chinese Italians Irish Germans Mexicans are invading and are going to ruin this country! Just like all of those large influxes in the past!

In all fairness, its very easy for people from different countries to visit Italy due to their proximities. America is much larger and separated from every other language but Spanish and a little French by some big oceans. Also, in Hawaii, an awful lot of stuff is in Japanese. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I've got some reservations about bilingual education. Every effort should be made to teach the kids English, but we can't have them falling drastically behind in every other subject.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 08:33 PM)

First, I don't see anyone in this thread saying that businesses shouldn't be smart. For a restaurant in Rome, it makes all kinds of sense to have those languages, so they do. It would also make sense for touristy places in the states to do the same. No one has said otherwise.

And I agree with the general sentiment that Americans would benefit from knowing some other languages. No one is arguing against that either, despite your apparent perception that they are.

The only thing being argued is whether or not people who emigrate from other countries should have to learn English to function, in schools or otherwise, and whether or not government entities should bend to the needs of non-English speaking residents (NOT tourists). And that is a discussion with having. No one is being an "idiot", with the possible exception of Gingrich.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 07:02 PM)

Its makes the functionality of government cheaper and more effecient. One language would prevent the government from having to duplicate services for the same information into many different languages. It would also stop the need for finding people who speak each of those languages to translate and provide that information. Heck it is hard enough to get a clean intelligent government worker to provide necesary information in English, you want to find someone to speak flawless Cantonese? Yikes.

In a public setting you also lose that need for duplicity, plus one thing that comes to mind is language barrier in emergency situations. Say a new African immigrant (pick a country) just got hit by a car. Now let that person explain to you what hurts in your role as an ER doc, or a paramedic.

Not saying it would be right or wrong, just saying it would make the government and private businesses a lot more effecient.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 06:11 AM)
Its makes the functionality of government cheaper and more effecient. One language would prevent the government from having to duplicate services for the same information into many different languages. It would also stop the need for finding people who speak each of those languages to translate and provide that information. Heck it is hard enough to get a clean intelligent government worker to provide necesary information in English, you want to find someone to speak flawless Cantonese? Yikes.

In a public setting you also lose that need for duplicity, plus one thing that comes to mind is language barrier in emergency situations. Say a new African immigrant (pick a country) just got hit by a car. Now let that person explain to you what hurts in your role as an ER doc, or a paramedic.

Not saying it would be right or wrong, just saying it would make the government and private businesses a lot more effecient.

All excellent reasons. Thank you.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 04:11 AM)

So how does this not apply exactly the same way in the event of a person being here on a Visa, or just someone who's here as a legitimate tourist? I can't tell you how many people around this school barely speak English. You can make the exact same arguments for those types of people, and the only solution would be banning all tourists, visitors, or guests who don't speak English.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 11:27 AM)
So how does this not apply exactly the same way in the event of a person being here on a Visa, or just someone who's here as a legitimate tourist? I can't tell you how many people around this school barely speak English. You can make the exact same arguments for those types of people, and the only solution would be banning all tourists, visitors, or guests who don't speak English.

I wasn't really getting into specifics or "what ifs" with any of that. If you like you can make a million arguements for or against this stuff. My post was more of a hypothetical, off of the top my head kind of thing.

All I was trying to say was that in a very basis sense, every situation that you don't have to prepare for, cuts your costs of doing business. It doesn't matter if you are a public or private institution, the more narrowly you can focus, the more effecient you are going to be at your task.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 09:36 PM)
The only thing being argued is whether or not people who emigrate from other countries should have to learn English to function, in schools or otherwise,

I haven't really heard an argument against immigrants learning English.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)
I wasn't really getting into specifics or "what ifs" with any of that. If you like you can make a million arguements for or against this stuff. My post was more of a hypothetical, off of the top my head kind of thing.

All I was trying to say was that in a very basis sense, every situation that you don't have to prepare for, cuts your costs of doing business. It doesn't matter if you are a public or private institution, the more narrowly you can focus, the more effecient you are going to be at your task.

What's most cost-efficient isn't necessarily what's best.

Cost effective is about the only reason I can see. It is costly for our government to offer that level of customer service to citizens. Businesses have a profit motive to welcome non English speakers. This is all about what level of service that the Government should offer to the people that are paying the bill.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 05:15 PM)
Cost effective is about the only reason I can see. It is costly for our government to offer that level of customer service to citizens. Businesses have a profit motive to welcome non English speakers. This is all about what level of service that the Government should offer to the people that are paying the bill.

So you don't see the ability to communicate with your peers as a valid reason for having a language that everyone speaks?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 07:40 AM)
So you don't see the ability to communicate with your peers as a valid reason for having a language that everyone speaks?

Down here, that would be Spanish. But I won't force you to learn it,

I couuld see shifting the cost burden of translating to the individual. Some people will be cheated by unethical translators, but the courts shuld be able to handle that.

Unless things have changed, speaking English will not prevent you from entering the military.