Ed Farmer to Miss the Opener

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE(Al Lopez @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 01:03 PM)
His daughter had a car accident - apparently she'll be ok. Steve Stone will fill in for Ed. Per the Score at 1:)) pm.

I know he's typically seen as a Cubs guy, but, I'd love to have Steve Stone do TV or radio for the Sox. He's just really good at it.

I can't imagine what that play-by-play is going to be like. I mean Stone always had somebody else do play-by-play as the lead plus he was on TV, don't have to be nearly as good. We all know Singleton has his issues with it, but from what I heard from people he got a little better in ST.

Glad to hear Farmio's family is ok.

A booth of Farmer/Singleton/Stone would be pretty cool to see (hear i mean), maybe too crowded for radio though.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)
Stone >>>>> all the White Sox announcers.

Wow, I have to listen to the game, unfortunately, but I'm excited now that Stoney is filling in... the guy's brilliant.

My best to Farmio's family, hope everything's alright.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)
Here's hoping Farmer takes an extended break, like, say, the whole season. I'd enjoy listening to Stone all year.

Hell yeah...

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)
Here's hoping Farmer takes an extended break, like, say, the whole season. I'd enjoy listening to Stone all year.

x2. Farmer is an abomination of radio broadcasting.

Stone will raise Singleton's game. Stone has had to work with others who have required "patience". I like Farmer, but I did not like the way he would hang Chris out to dry last year. They did sound better in the spring. Eventually, I think Singleton will be fine. DJ and Stone would be a nice combo when Hawk decides to retire.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 08:50 PM)
Stone will raise Singleton's game. Stone has had to work with others who have required "patience". I like Farmer, but I did not like the way he would hang Chris out to dry last year. They did sound better in the spring. Eventually, I think Singleton will be fine. DJ and Stone would be a nice combo when Hawk decides to retire.

"You see, D.J., only mere mortals ever retire. Mickey Mantle never retired. He's still playing, actually. So, rest assured, my heinie is going to be right here for the next 150 years."

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 02:59 AM)
Will be interesting to listen, but I hope this doesn't mean Singleton will carry the PBP load? Does Stone do any PBP?

From what I heard Stone say on the radio this weekend, he's going to do most of the PBP.

I'll have the sound down on the TV for this one.

Stone's one of my favorites - I've been hoping he'll end up in one of the Sox' broadcast booths ever since he left the Cubs.

Please let this be the crack in the door for him. Stone > Farmer any day of the week.

QUOTE(Brian @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 08:13 PM)
How did Stone sound? Someone told me Singleton did all the play by play. Hope that didn't take Stone down at all.

I looked over in the booth today and Stone was doing a lot of talking. Mac, Jurko and Harry were kind of ripping on Singleton's work today. They said he needs to relax, before going on some tastless bit about wondering if Farmer's daughter signed her donor card, since Farmer is such a supporter and has benefitted from organ donation. It was pretty sick.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 08:25 PM)
I looked over in the booth today and Stone was doing a lot of talking. Mac, Jurko and Harry were kind of ripping on Singleton's work today. They said he needs to relax, before going on some tastless bit about wondering if Farmer's daughter signed her donor card, since Farmer is such a supporter and has benefitted from organ donation. It was pretty sick.

Wow, that is very uncalled for and ill timed.

IMO, Stoney and Singleton were the one bright spot in today's game. I think today proved that Singleton actually has some potential as an announcer and Farmer is holding him back at this point. He seemed more relaxed with Stoney, they were interacting well and Singleton was actually providing some solid commentary. I think Chris just gets a little uneasy around Farmer.

If the Sox went to a permanent booth of Singleton/Stone, I'd never listen to Hawk again.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stone >>>>>> farmio

I would rather have Stone replace DJ on TV or Chris Singleton on the radio. I really don't like either of those guys. I like Farmio a great deal.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IMO, Stoney and Singleton were the one bright spot in today's game. I think today proved that Singleton actually has some potential as an announcer and Farmer is holding him back at this point. He seemed more relaxed with Stoney, they were interacting well and Singleton was actually providing some solid commentary. I think Chris just gets a little uneasy around Farmer.

If the Sox went to a permanent booth of Singleton/Stone, I'd never listen to Hawk again.

I highly doubt Singleton's uneasiness is in relation to Farmer. I don't care for Singleton at all and I didn't care for him yesterday with Stone. He has absolutely nothing to offer. As another poster stated, Stone did a lot of the talking yesterday anyway.