Cubs/Zambrano Close to Extension

Flash Tizzle

The Cubs and Carlos Zamrbrano are closing in on a five-year contract worth more than $80 million, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.

Zambrano is a healthy season away from getting something like $140-$150 million for eight years, but all indications are that he's going to sign now anyway. It would be the largest deal ever for a non-free agent pitcher.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6632584

Great deal, if it's somewhere along these reported terms.

I suppose when an organization dedicates themselves to scouting, and the results are evident with a player such as Zambrano, extensions such as these are possible.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 08:19 PM)
I don't believe this will effect the price of other starting pitchers, either.

Buehrle's contract next season, if he pitches comparable to 2005, could easily meet 16mil/5 years.

It's not going to help is the point. If Zambrano signs a deal in the range of 18mil/8 years that would be 2 pitchers in back to back seasons to get enormous contracts and would be just a little more firepower for all the agents of soon to be free agent starting pitchers. It may not kill any future deals but it's not going to help at all, if I'm a prospective free agent pitcher I'm hoping and praying that Zambrano signs a mammoth deal, it could only help my case.