Any bets as to how long until this happens here?

EvilMonkey

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...amp;ito=newsnow

Schools are dropping the Holocaust from history lessons to avoid offending Muslim pupils, a Governmentbacked study has revealed.

It found some teachers are reluctant to cover the atrocity for fear of upsetting students whose beliefs include Holocaust denial.

There is also resistance to tackling the 11th century Crusades - where Christians fought Muslim armies for control of Jerusalem - because lessons often contradict what is taught in local mosques. .....

If this happens here, you might as well just start bowing to your Muslim overlords. Unless LCR can convince us that it is all part of some new 'methods class' and is a perfectly appropriate way to teach.

It's pathetic, absolutely. And it's already happened in schools here in regard to other historical events.

Approved middle- and high school text books gloss over the bad patches in our history like the realities of slavery in America and the atrocities the early European Americans committed in the decimation of the continent's First People. And it is pathetic.

It's the same in Japan where the approved history texts gloss over Japanese WWII atrocities.

Pathetic all around, and a disservice to the students and to the historical facts.

I do like the quote from the Tory history education adviser in that article:

"History is not a vehicle for promoting political correctness. Children must have access to knowledge of these controversial subjects, whether palatable or unpalatable."

"History is written by the victors."Winston Churchill

It will happen here if the GOP has their radio network call for it as a way to fight terrorists. We already are taught to ignore newspapers, tv, and radio journalists if they do not agree with GOP positions and propoganda. Why not, for example, tell their children the official GOP History Lessons like Nixon was unfairly attacked by a liberal biased media? ;) As soon as school children listen to the GOP Radio Network and understand their text books are written by a liberal biased education system, we'll be well on our way. And I believe that will be the Methods Class you will applaud :headbang

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 10:50 PM)
Banning the teachings of the Holocaust is similar to people supporting ID to be taught in schools.

It's stupid.

I agree with you, disagree with Tex.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 07:50 AM)
I agree with you, disagree with Tex.

The first draft of history is found in newspapers, listened to on radio, and watched on TV. The GOP is telling you that any criticism of themselves is a result of liberal media bias. How is that any different?

No need to answer, just something to think about. ;)

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 08:31 AM)
The first draft of history is found in newspapers, listened to on radio, and watched on TV. The GOP is telling you that any criticism of themselves is a result of liberal media bias. How is that any different?

No need to answer, just something to think about. ;)

The GOP isn't writing textbooks, isn't sitting in classrooms refusing to tell students about Watergate because it might offend some Republicans and are not going to riot if offended by history. Completely different. When American schools start refusing to teach about to history because it might offend Muslims, we are toast.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)
The GOP isn't writing textbooks, isn't sitting in classrooms refusing to tell students about Watergate because it might offend some Republicans and are not going to riot if offended by history. Completely different. When American schools start refusing to teach about to history because it might offend Muslims any single group of people, we are toast.

Fixed for ya.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)
The GOP isn't writing textbooks, isn't sitting in classrooms refusing to tell students about Watergate because it might offend some Republicans and are not going to riot if offended by history. Completely different. When American schools start refusing to teach about to history because it might offend Muslims, we are toast.

Which do you remember more, something in your 8th grade history class, or what is happening yesterday in the news?

History textbooks in this country even have been centers of political debate for years. It all winds up being a matter of emphasis in the long run, because there's just not room for 20 volumes of history in a 1 year class.

So you have trade-offs. How much time do you spend on the westward expansion, versus how much time do you spend on the slaughter of the Native Americans that accompanied it.

How much time do you spend on WWII, and how much time do you spend talking about the segregated army and Japanese internment.

And so on. Great example of this from a few years ago was the debate that exploded over the Smithsonian's attempt to create a display around the Enola Gay, the plane that bombed Hiroshima. The original display they created showed images of what the bomb did on the ground and the suffering the bomb caused and discussed some of the questions raised by historians about the necessity of using the bomb, etc.

Then, a bunch of groups started chiming in saying this was outrageous, that the plane ended the war, that the bomb was used in response to Pearl, etc. They wanted a much more positive portrayal of what the plane did. In the end, any associated display along with the plane was scrapped and the plane was basically just put on display on its own. Because neither side wanted to give up its portrayal of the history involved.

Edited by Balta1701

The only true way to learn history is follow current events in your lifetime. All you can do in regards to events before that is study the past from different viewpoints and decide for yourself what actually happened. You'll never get a fair and balanced opinion on anything from anybody anymore, thus it's harder than ever to be educated, despite the fact it's easier than ever with modern technology to be intelligent.

(I hope that made sense to SOMEBODY besides me).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 02:26 AM)
The only true way to learn history is follow current events in your lifetime. All you can do in regards to events before that is study the past from different viewpoints and decide for yourself what actually happened. You'll never get a fair and balanced opinion on anything from anybody anymore, thus it's harder than ever to be educated, despite the fact it's easier than ever with modern technology to be intelligent.

(I hope that made sense to SOMEBODY besides me).

I believe you never could get a perfectly balanced and fair newscast. What would seem balanced and fair to Alpha Dog would appear conservatively biased to Rex and what Rex would find balanced and fair would seem ciased to Alpha Dog. And both would have Kap yelling GORACLE, IMPEACH BUSH :D

Has anyone been following what's going on with the history textbooks in Japan? Apparently, they're dropping a lot of the atrocities committed by the Imperial army from textbooks.

That being said, I highly doubt the holocaust will ever be dropped from US textbooks. And if it is, it probably would be dropped for a crazy like Davide Duke or his ilk more than any religious group.

Like Balta said, lots of stuff gets dropped from American textbooks. Internment camps, slaughter of the Indians, a good deal of slavery issues, the Vietnam and Korean wars, all are really glossed over. Doesn't look positive on us, so we drop it.

EDIT: Wait, I wasted my time commenting on something from the worst rag in the world: The Daily Mail? Damn.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
Don't the get points for being mentioned in a Beatles song?!?

:D

Nope, none. :) It's also in the Harry Potter movies sometimes, and I award no points for that either.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 10:59 AM)
Nope, none. :) It's also in the Harry Potter movies sometimes, and I award no points for that either.

Well, when you have a paper like the Daily Prophet why would you bother with a rag like the Daily mail? :)

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
Well, when you have a paper like the Daily Prophet why would you bother with a rag like the Daily mail? :)

That's true. I would actually give this paper more credibility if it was the Daily Prophet.

"History is not a vehicle for promoting political correctness. Children must have access to knowledge of these controversial subjects, whether palatable or unpalatable."

Ding ding ding.

Covering things that are truthful but can make people uncomfortable (i.e. from my own experience -- our covering of the Mexican-American war and discussing a lot of the racism related to that issue in class) is essential.

The idea of not teaching historical events is absolutely laughable.