All Contract Talks Done Till After Season

AWhiteSoxinNJ

From the Trib today:

The negotiation window is now said to be closed. The Sox won't talk with the representatives for potential free agents Buehrle, Dye and Tadahito Iguchi until the 2007 season is over. They will hold exclusive negotiating rights until 15 days after the World Series.

From KFFL:

White Sox | All contract talks tabled

Mon, 2 Apr 2007 00:03:44 -0700

The Chicago Sun-Times' Joe Cowley reports all contract talks with Chicago White Sox players who can be free agents following the 2007 season have been tabled, as is the custom with White Sox general manager Kenny Williams. ''The only thing I hope and wish, and I will appreciate, is we don't have contract talks during the season,'' White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. ''When we were here the last four years with the team, we haven't heard anything."

From Rotoworld:

General manager Ken Williams said Sunday that the White Sox have ceased contract negotiations with pending free agents Jermaine Dye, Mark Buehrle and Tadahito Iguchi.

Williams did sign Matt Thornton and Pablo Ozuna to multi-year extensions Sunday. ''We'll deal with it after the season, and hopefully as champions,'' Williams said.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)
What happened the last few days, other than that writer in the Herald pulling something out of his rear end?

I'm sure the guy didn't make it up. He had to get it from somewhere and leads me to believe they were talking and close, but some of the little things needed to be agreed on.

I always laugh at people who bash beat writers or reporters just because they write something and it doesn't end up happening. Doesn't mean what he was reporting was wrong.

QUOTE(Brian @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
I'm sure the guy didn't make it up. He had to get it from somewhere and leads me to believe they were talking and close, but some of the little things needed to be agreed on.

I always laugh at people who bash beat writers or reporters just because they write something and it doesn't end up happening. Doesn't mean what he was reporting was wrong.

Read the article. Find one shred of actual data in it that isn't supposition. The best he could do was a quote from Iguchi saying he "respected" the Sox. In fact, if you look at the way the writer couched his phrases, it was entirely what he thought made sense, and nothing about any sort of indications or evidence.

I bash beat writers and anyone else who write absolutely unfounded articles and try to pass them as fact. That Herald article was precisely that. That article was NOT reporting - it was speculation.

QUOTE(Brian @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)

That was all speculation by the author. Pretty foolish of him to word it the way he did. At least this is some more good news.

Edited by fathom

So, what exactly is the benefit for the team of tabling these negotiations until the end of the season? Esp. with Iguchi? I really have a ton of difficulty buying that "They're distracted by the negotiations" is actually a decent excuse for anything.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
So, what exactly is the benefit for the team of tabling these negotiations until the end of the season? Esp. with Iguchi? I really have a ton of difficulty buying that "They're distracted by the negotiations" is actually a decent excuse for anything.

This way if he does end up signing any of them it will be for more than they would have gotten with an in season contract extension, that's what tends to happen when you're bidding against other teams for the services of your former players. There's a reason why you get the exclusive negotiating window, I just wish KW would take advantage of it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 08:48 AM)
This way if he does end up signing any of them it will be for more than they would have gotten with an in season contract extension, that's what tends to happen when you're bidding against other teams for the services of your former players. There's a reason why you get the exclusive negotiating window, I just wish KW would take advantage of it.

So in other words, you're saying that there is no financial benefit for the team to not negotiating during the season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 09:48 AM)

They'll still have the 15 days after the season is over. Plus I would imagine there will still be some talking if the sides really want to do it. This is more for the players and the media, so if the media asks any questions everybody can just say, there are no contracts, remember what we said at the beginning of the season. [edit] I THINK [/edit]This is more of a media move than anything else

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 09:55 AM)
So in other words, you're saying that there is no financial benefit for the team to not negotiating during the season.

You don't know. What if one of them falls apart during the season and totally sucks beyond comprehension. They would then get a lot less money in the offseason and you wouldn't necessarily be stuck with them if it did.

I'm not saying that will happen to any of these guys, but that's a financial benefit

Edited by jphat007

There are three things that can happen during the season.

1) The player's value goes up.

2) The player's value goes down.

3) The player's value stays the same.

The contract negotiations could make the player

A) Feel better and motivated.

B) Stay the same.

C) Feel unwanted and perhaps distracted.

The Good: 1A, 1B

The Bad: 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C

The Ordinary: 3B

QUOTE(Big Hurtin @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 09:05 AM)
Who else do you think would be in the market for Iguchi?

Could change with injuries, poor performing rookies, or guys stepping up this season:

Toronto

Oakland

Atlanta (depending on Kelly Johnson's performance this season)

St. Louis (how much do they like Adam Kennedy?)

Colorado

LA Dodgers, depending on what Jeff Kent does

SF Giants (durham = getting old).

San Diego (Marcus Giles is on a 1 year deal with an 08 option)

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 10:57 AM)
They'll still have the 15 days after the season is over. Plus I would imagine there will still be some talking if the sides really want to do it. This is more for the players and the media, so if the media asks any questions everybody can just say, there are no contracts, remember what we said at the beginning of the season. [edit] I THINK [/edit]This is more of a media move than anything else

You don't know. What if one of them falls apart during the season and totally sucks beyond comprehension. They would then get a lot less money in the offseason and you wouldn't necessarily be stuck with them if it did.

I'm not saying that will happen to any of these guys, but that's a financial benefit

Kenny has already stated that he wants his prospective free agents to test the open market, I don't hold much faith in the 15 day exclusive negotiating rights window being used.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
There are three things that can happen during the season.

1) The player's value goes up.

2) The player's value goes down.

3) The player's value stays the same.

The contract negotiations could make the player

A) Feel better and motivated.

B) Stay the same.

C) Feel unwanted and perhaps distracted.

The Good: 1A, 1B

The Bad: 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C

The Ordinary: 3B

What happened to 3A and 3C? Edited by RME JICO

They will all be traded by June when we are toiling along in fourth place...The only part of the team we improved was the bullpen, and with our starters being worse the bullpen will just get overworked!

Time will tell, but how could the Sox be so dominant a couple years ago and be as bad as you suggest now?