According to Russia, a US attack on Iran is 'imminent'

kapkomet

Huh?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070403/pl_nm/iran_usa_russia_dc

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The United States cannot inflict a military defeat on Iran and any attack would be a huge political mistake, Russia's top general said on Tuesday.

"It is possible to damage Iran's military and industrial potential, but it is impossible to win," Russian news agencies quoted General Yuri Baluyevsky, head of the Russian general staff, as saying.

"The United States has a contingent in the region capable of launching a strike on Iranian territory.

"However, such possible strikes would be a huge political mistake. Shockwaves from this attack could be felt around the world."

Washington and its Western allies accuse Iran of wanting to build nuclear bombs, a charge Tehran denies. Tensions have been further aggravated by Iran's capture of 15 British sailors and marines in the northern Gulf on March 23.

Russia sells weapons to the Iranian military and is helping Tehran build a nuclear power station on the Gulf although work there is on hold over a payment dispute.

Russian media late last month quoted unnamed sources in Russian military intelligence as saying the United States could launch a strike on Iran as early as April 6.

RIA news agency quoted a Russian security source as saying Moscow has military intelligence reports that the U.S. has already approved a list of Iranian targets for bomb and missile strikes. The source said a land operation could follow.

U.S. President George W. Bush has said he will pursue diplomatic means to persuade Iran to drop its uranium enrichment plan but he has refused to rule out the use of force.

Baluyevsky said military involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan showed the United States would face a fiasco if it took on Iran as well.

"The Americans must think twice (about attacking Iran)," he said. "They have already got stuck in Afghanistan and Iraq."

This is probably diplospeak to put more pressure on the Iranians, but I certainly hope our government is not this stupid at this point in time.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 09:47 AM)
We are not attacking Iran in a week. That might be the most stupid thing I have ever read.

Although I can't rule anything out with this hostage issue, the deployment schedules seem like the most opportuine time is around the end of this month. The USS Nimitz and its strike group just departed San Diego on its way to the Gulf to replace the USS Eisenhower, with the Stennis already there. Supposedly the Ike group will be departing as the Nimitz arrives and the U.S. will not maintain 3 carriers there at any time, but it wouldn't be that hard at all to have the Eisenhower task group wait in one spot for an extra week and launch a few missiles.

Please. We aren't going to just lob a few Tomahawks missles into Iran for effect. If we are going to attack Iran, we are going to actually take a real military action. Britian might run a commando raid to get their boys back, but a real attack of Iran isn't going to be possible overnight, and any speculation otherwise is just garbage. 3 carriers aren't going to attack Iran. We didn't even use that little for Iraq who had gone through a decade of sanctions and had their military decimated 10 years prior.

I believe the comments were orchestrated by Britian and the US to put some pressure on the Iranians. But, hell, why bring those soldiers all the way home next year? Let's start another war and keep ridin' the storm out. slightly green until I realized it's crazy enough to be true.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 01:51 PM)
I agree... but why is Russia parroting this crap?

They still need our help and aid. It's the right thing to do. Notice they did toss a couple bones to the Iranians as being able to win. Any number of reasons. I am certain the Brits and Yanks knew that Russia would have the best chance to be heard and influence.

And if it's Russia "helping out" Iran, then they should tell them to get their heads out of their rear ends before the whole world stands by and watches something stupid happen, especially in light of the whole "hostages" thing going on.