Todays game

hi8is

You know, we shouldn't be criticizing Podsednik. The courage and determination he has shown teammates by returning several weeks early from offseason surgery only validates his dedication to winning.

Give him several months. Just keep in mind he may not be 100%. The cold weather is probably effecting his game.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Podsednik needs to go back to his 05' formula of being aggressive. Ever since he started trying to draw more walks (to please all the OBP pundits), he has lost all effectiveness.

And if you want to point fingers today, I think you all are leaving one very important man out: Jermaine Dye: 0-4, 3 k's, and terrible defense in right field. He hurt us a hell of a lot more than Pods today.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 05:53 PM)
Podsednik needs to go back to his 05' formula of being aggressive. Ever since he started trying to draw more walks (to please all the OBP pundits), he has lost all effectiveness.

And if you want to point fingers today, I think you all are leaving one very important man out: Jermaine Dye: 0-4, 3 k's, and terrible defense in right field. He hurt us a hell of a lot more than Pods today.

But it's just so much more fun to blame Pods. Nice to see you back posting, iamshack. Haven't seen you in a while.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 05:53 PM)

Give me a break. Its not like Podsenik the leadoff hitter has decided all of a sudden to just draw walks to appease some high OBP. He cant hit, he cant steal, he cant run, and he cant play defense, and he cant throw. HE has had multiple groin surgeries, and is on the wrong side of 30 for a speedster.

He was just thrown out by the worst throwing catcher outside of Matt LeCroy. And I bet LeCroy pegs him out too.

Dye and all of our situational hitting, outside of one Crede AB was horrible. Crede hit a ball up the middle and drove in a few runs very nice. But everyone else was trying to hit cars on the Dan Ryan instead of making contact.

KW and Ozzie talked about playing grinder baseball, and playing it the right way. Well maybe they should play twins games in the lockerroom to see how a guy with men on puts the ball in play and doesnt K falling over, or misses several 91 mph fastballs down the middle of the plate trying to be a hero. Its time to walk to the walk.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 05:58 PM)
KW and Ozzie talked about playing grinder baseball, and playing it the right way. Well maybe they should play twins games in the lockerroom to see how a guy with men on puts the ball in play and doesnt K falling over, or misses several 91 mph fastballs down the middle of the plate trying to be a hero. Its time to walk to the walk.

well in order to do that, you need those kind of players. pods, uribe, gooch, arent exactly grinder/phirana type players. im sure we all wish that everyone played like ersatd but they just dont. i love the twins style of playing, its just great they do everything right when they have to so they can win a game

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 11:04 PM)
well in order to do that, you need those kind of players. pods, uribe, gooch, arent exactly grinder/phirana type players. im sure we all wish that everyone played like ersatd but they just dont. i love the twins style of playing, its just great they do everything right when they have to so they can win a game

The Twins are a good team because of Mauer, Morneau, and a sensational end of the bullpen (and a sensational manager at following fathom's #1 rule).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 05:53 PM)
I just got home from the game.

First off, :snow

Now, for the game. I have a really hard time getting too upset, just because how much excitement I have for the season to start, and just the hope I have for this team, but I just hate the vibe this club has given off for the last 8,9 months. This is the exact same s*** we saw the 2nd half of last season, and all of Spring. The pitching just isn't there, and I can't beleive I am the one saying it, but it seems as if we have turned into a full blown softball squad. I am one of the biggest Earl Weaver backers you will find, and I love the 3 run HR, but there is a time and place for everything, and some of the swings I saw today(Crede-Dye) in particular made me sick. Aside from the Crede base knock, the execution today was horrid, and one of the most frustrating games I have watched in a long while.

Please White Sox, give me some hope for this season. You really haven't given me any since June of last year. Please. :pray

:gosox3:

Was the wind blowing hard out? Too me a lot of balls that weren't hit really good at all were making it the warning track.

I know its extremely early and Im not jumping ship yet but it seems like were going back to the pre 05 formula and just trying to slug our way through games instead of relying on pitching, defense and manufacturing runs. Nobody can possibly say that Pods is a better defender that BA so why is he out there. You cant put all the blame for stuff like this on the coaches and manager but I really dont think they are putting us in the best situation to win.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 06:04 PM)

Everyone outside of the big 3 can make contact and hit line drives. In fact our top of the lineup guys should be cut and slash type guys. There is no reason they should be striking out, or having the inability to bunt. Its more of an approach. We have guys taking home run cuts again, with men on when a single can do. That is what Jose Valentin did, and that is what Carlos Lee did. We had this offense before, swing for the dan ryan, and strikeout a bunch of times with men on, or hit major league pop ups that barely get out of the infield.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 10:53 PM)
I just got home from the game.

First off, :snow

Now, for the game. I have a really hard time getting too upset, just because how much excitement I have for the season to start, and just the hope I have for this team, but I just hate the vibe this club has given off for the last 8,9 months. This is the exact same s*** we saw the 2nd half of last season, and all of Spring. The pitching just isn't there, and I can't beleive I am the one saying it, but it seems as if we have turned into a full blown softball squad. I am one of the biggest Earl Weaver backers you will find, and I love the 3 run HR, but there is a time and place for everything, and some of the swings I saw today(Crede-Dye) in particular made me sick. Aside from the Crede base knock, the execution today was horrid, and one of the most frustrating games I have watched in a long while.

Please White Sox, give me some hope for this season. You really haven't given me any since June of last year. Please. :pray

:gosox3:

Well said. I'm still waiting for something to make me optimistic that things won't be the same as they were during the 2nd half of last year. I'm just so annoyed we have to deal with the same worthless Independent League caliber left fielder.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
As one of like, well, I'm the only Pods supporter on this board. I can't even excuse or justify that. Pods should just forget about stealing bases right now. Get on base. That's it. I only saw a couple of his at-bats. But I did like that he was atleast working the pitchers.

If Pods can't steal a base against Victor Martinez--a catcher who would have trouble throwing out AJ Pierzynski--then he is useless to the Sox and should be DL'd immediately.

With the Sox' starting pitching being less than dominating, the Sox can't afford to carry Podsednik in LF. They need a real outfielder with a little pop in his bat. Short term answer would be to re-sign Eduardo Perez as a RH DH, and let Ozuna and Mackowiak platoon in LF until they find a real major league outfielder.

And before anyone writes it, Anderson may wind up winning a starting job before all is said and done, but for right now the Sox need definite production from that position, not potential production.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 05:58 PM)
Give me a break. Its not like Podsenik the leadoff hitter has decided all of a sudden to just draw walks to appease some high OBP. He cant hit, he cant steal, he cant run, and he cant play defense, and he cant throw. HE has had multiple groin surgeries, and is on the wrong side of 30 for a speedster.

He was just thrown out by the worst throwing catcher outside of Matt LeCroy. And I bet LeCroy pegs him out too.

Perhaps you missed the sentence where I said "he has lost all effectiveness."

I think Podsednik still can be plenty effective. But it's obvious to me that he needs to try to put the ball in play, preferably on the ground, instead of "working the pitcher" and trying to draw a walk. It's obvious that he isn't particularly comfortable doing it, whether that's because it is against his nature or what, I don't know. But he was so much more effective when he was putting the ball on the ground to the left side of the infield and drag bunting. I believe if he would focus more on that instead of trying to draw walks he would resemble the effectiveness he showed in 05' moreso than 04' and 06'.

That being said, there is plenty of blame to be passed around today, so enough with the broken record that is blaming Podsednik for everything.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 06:11 PM)
Well said. I'm still waiting for something to make me optimistic that things won't be the same as they were during the 2nd half of last year. I'm just so annoyed we have to deal with the same worthless Independent League caliber left fielder.

fathom, there's nothing on earth that could ever make you optimistic.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 06:12 PM)
Perhaps you missed the sentence where I said "he has lost all effectiveness."

I think Podsednik still can be plenty effective. But it's obvious to me that he needs to try to put the ball in play, preferably on the ground, instead of "working the pitcher" and trying to draw a walk. It's obvious that he isn't particularly comfortable doing it, whether that's because it is against his nature or what, I don't know. But he was so much more effective when he was putting the ball on the ground to the left side of the infield and drag bunting. I believe if he would focus more on that instead of trying to draw walks.

That being said, there is plenty of blame to be passed around today, so enough with the broken record that is blaming Podsednik for everything.

and he'll be given every possible chance to justify his $2.9M signing. Pathetic.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 06:18 PM)
I wish I shared your confidence. As I said before, I think Pods could go 0 for April and still play regularly.

I think you're wrong. Kenny and Ozzie aren't messing around this year. If Pods is stinkin' up the joint come May, I think something will happen. But he's not getting benched after one 0/4 performance on April 4th. I'm MUCH more worried about the pitching right now.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 06:20 PM)
I think you're wrong. Kenny and Ozzie aren't messing around this year. If Pods is stinkin' up the joint come May, I think something will happen. But he's not getting benched after one 0/4 performance on April 4th. I'm MUCH more worried about the pitching right now.

I would agree about being more worried about the pitching. If we were 0-2 after the first two games losing 4-2 and 3-1, I would feel a lot better than 12-5 and 8-7. Still, I would like to see Pods take the bat off of his shoulder periodically.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 11:17 PM)
fathom, there's nothing on earth that could ever make you optimistic.

Thanks....and that's not true at all. I'm very optimistic about Iguchi down in the order. When I say things that make me optimistic, I mean strategical things or personnel options, not just game results.

Edited by fathom