Todays game

hi8is

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does it always have to be about Podsednik? Personally, I don't care if he is out there or not, but I am tired of him being the whipping boy by this board for every weakness in this team's armour. There is PLENTY of blame to go around, namely

1) Dye getting noticeably older and more awkward in the field (and for all the people claiming "Thome is just not clutch," why do you suppose Dye had such incredible offensive numbers last season? ahem, Thome;

2) Iguchi, among a few others, repeatedly failing to execute in the late innings;

3) Repeated failure to hold leads, by both the starters and the bullpen;

4) Poor defense;

And on and on and on.

But yes, it is much easier to claim Podsednik he should be in AAA and then the White Sox would go 162-0.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 11:27 PM)
BTW, I am not even going to touch the game thread because 1) I was at the game, and 2) Its long as hell, but I really liked the Sox just not playing with Hafner at all, but if you are going to do that, make sure you can get the next batter out. Thanks Victor.....

(Thats no knock on Ozzie, I thought he did most everything right, the players just have to execute.)

Yep, I don't blame him for how he handled everything. He might have too much confidence in Sisco right now, but that happens early in the year. I didn't like him having Pods bat against a LHP late in the game, where that should just automatically result in Anderson going into the game to bat/defensive purposes.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 11:28 PM)
Why does it always have to be about Podsednik? Personally, I don't care if he is out there or not, but I am tired of him being the whipping boy by this board for every weakness in this team's armour. There is PLENTY of blame to go around, namely

1) Dye getting noticeably older and more awkward in the field (and for all the people claiming "Thome is just not clutch," why do you suppose Dye had such incredible offensive numbers last season? ahem, Thome;

2) Iguchi, among a few others, repeatedly failing to execute in the late innings;

4) Poor defense;

And on and on and on.

But yes, it is much easier to claim Podsednik he should be in AAA and then the White Sox would go 162-0.

Dye was horrible in the outfield, but his offense made up for it. I'm not concerned about him at all. He had about 45 millions reason to do good this year. Our pitching sucks, plain and simple. When KW was questioning their velocity about two weeks ago, we should have known we were in trouble.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 06:28 PM)

4) Poor defense;

And on and on and on.

This board sure loves hyperbole and strawmen.

No one is claiming that. We're just pointing out how much Pods sucks in every aspect of baseball.

So, I think I'm going to play Mr. Positive today. Don't know why, but I want to right now.

Mr. Erstad, wonderful job. You keep this up and I'm going to be much, much less mad about that whole you getting the starting job without earning it in the spring deal.

Mr. Aardsma...most impressive.

Mr. Crede, Iguchi, and Thome...couple big hits in this game. They were appreciated, even though things didn't work out in the end.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 06:26 PM)
You need some therapy. :P

No. Well...I probably do...but f*** that.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 06:26 PM)
How did you survive the 2005 collapse?

I guess you could call it surviving. Seriously that was the most miserable thing ever.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 06:44 PM)
So, I think I'm going to play Mr. Positive today. Don't know why, but I want to right now.

Mr. Erstad, wonderful job. You keep this up and I'm going to be much, much less mad about that whole you getting the starting job without earning it in the spring deal.

Mr. Aardsma...most impressive.

Mr. Crede, Iguchi, and Thome...couple big hits in this game. They were appreciated, even though things didn't work out in the end.

Balta doing his George Costanza "Opposite World"!

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 11:45 PM)
I guess you could call it surviving. Seriously that was the most miserable thing ever.

The worst moment was when Jenks gave up that 2 out, 2 rbi hit to Aaron Boone in the first game of that crucial series (the day before the birth of the Rally Crede). I could literally feel my body temp increase.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 06:49 PM)
The worst moment was when Jenks gave up that 2 out, 2 rbi hit to Aaron Boone in the first game of that crucial series (the day before the birth of the Rally Crede). I could literally feel my body temp increase.

The one that sticks out to me was the blown game @ KC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250914107

I remember falling asleep on the couch, then waking up and seeing the Royals winning run score. Went back to sleep thinking it was a dream then woke up in the morning to find out we did indeed f***ing blow it.

The main thing with Erstad is that he's taking walks early this season which I like to see. He's working the counts, taking great jumps, stealing bases and putting the ball in play like if he was a leadoff hitter or something. ;) I never mind Erstad and his grinder play here. I loved the signing and wanted him to be a great LH bat off the bench, and even more, our starting LF. It's not his fault he's got someone blocking that position now and that he's blocking Anderson. Even if he goes 0-3 with 3 K's at least I'll bank anyone he'll work the pitcher or at the very, very least, swing and miss not go down starring like an idiot. Hell, from what I was tault back in little league ball that is the worst thing you can ever do when you K.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 06:52 PM)
Hell, from what I was tault back in little league ball that is the worst thing you can ever do when you K.

I still make my son run when he backward K's. Started that last year. Pisses him off.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 04:52 PM)
The main thing with Erstad is that he's taking walks early this season which I like to see. He's working the counts, taking great jumps, stealing bases and putting the ball in play like if he was a leadoff hitter or something. ;) I never mind Erstad and his grinder play here. I loved the signing and wanted him to be a great LH bat off the bench, and even more, our starting LF. It's not his fault he's got someone blocking that position now and that he's blocking Anderson. Even if he goes 0-3 with 3 K's at least I'll bank anyone he'll work the pitcher or at the very, very least, swing and miss not go down starring like an idiot. Hell, from what I was tault back in little league ball that is the worst thing you can ever do when you K.

At least...if Mr. Erstad keeps doing what he's doing right now...he gives Ozzie another OF option if he feels the urge to bench someone.

I agree with those who have said we have seemed in a funk since second half last season, and I'm tired of it. There seems to be no fire, no spunk, no spark. Everybody seems to get really discouraged and then it bleeds all over the team

I'm hardly going to give up after the SECOND game, though. Remember, Houston had an absolutely horrendous first half the year they met us in the WS. And as I've said before, I'd rather start crappy and turn it on second half a la the 2005 Indians rather than almost slide out of it like we did in '05 or all second half last year.

Do remember this: we've had a different team since 2005. Even in '06 a key clubhouse guy was gone--Rowand--and it's obvious to me that changes things. Thome's a great guy, but doesn't strike me as the jokester/cheerleader that Rowand was. This year we have Erstad and a lineup that seemed in flux since opening day.

Maybe they need time to gel--who knows?

I can handle the losing, but let's go down swinging, boys. Take some chances. Not wait around for somebody to win it for us, which we seem to have been doing since July '06.

Yes, the pitching is troubling.

Its too early to judge anybody at this point. A couple of players who have impressed me out of the few have been Erstad and Aardsma.

I also have a question for STATMAN: How often does Thorton come into a game with runners on base and lets them score? Yea he may have had a low ERA last year but the runners he let score (like today) were from the previous pitcher. I only like Thorton when he comes in w/ NOBODY on base.

Thornton inherited 48 runners and allowed 13 to score last year.

Just for reference, Scot Shields 32/10

Juan Rincon 29/9

Fernando Rodney 23/10

Thornton is pretty good, blame someone else.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 07:00 PM)
I agree with those who have said we have seemed in a funk since second half last season, and I'm tired of it. There seems to be no fire, no spunk, no spark. Everybody seems to get really discouraged and then it bleeds all over the team

I'm hardly going to give up after the SECOND game, though. Remember, Houston had an absolutely horrendous first half the year they met us in the WS. And as I've said before, I'd rather start crappy and turn it on second half a la the 2005 Indians rather than almost slide out of it like we did in '05 or all second half last year.

Do remember this: we've had a different team since 2005. Even in '06 a key clubhouse guy was gone--Rowand--and it's obvious to me that changes things. Thome's a great guy, but doesn't strike me as the jokester/cheerleader that Rowand was. This year we have Erstad and a lineup that seemed in flux since opening day.

Maybe they need time to gel--who knows?

I can handle the losing, but let's go down swinging, boys. Take some chances. Not wait around for somebody to win it for us, which we seem to have been doing since July '06.

Yes, the pitching is troubling.

You touched on an interesting point. Our main 3 leaders are Paulie, Thome and Dye. Now I don't know these guys personally....but they are probably THE quietest, most unassuming leaders you could possibly ever have. I understand the aspect of leading by production. The "all-business" aspect is not always the best way to go. I understand being professional and all...but the "can't squeez a greased BB outta yer ass" mentality really has seemed to overtake this team. Just my 2¢. And no...this is not a lobby to bring Rowand back.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 07:12 PM)
You touched on an interesting point. Our main 3 leaders are Paulie, Thome and Dye. Now I don't know these guys personally....but they are probably THE quietest, most unassuming leaders you could possibly ever have. I understand the aspect of leading by production. The "all-business" aspect is not always the best way to go. I understand being professional and all...but the "can't squeez a greased BB outta yer ass" mentality really has seemed to overtake this team. Just my 2¢. And no...this is not a lobby to bring Rowand back.

Exactly my point. We have "quiet" leaders. And...