2007 AL Central Catch-All Thread

Kalapse

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tigers are throttling KC and Grienke, doing whtat they did last year. Beating teams that they should. Hopefully we are not giving excuses of how Grienke had a great game, or those pesky Royals beat us again. We need to beat teams that we should this year. No more giveaway games, no more zero effort corpseball nights in summer. Beat the Royals, we are a much better team than they are.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 09:23 PM)
The tigers are throttling KC and Grienke, doing whtat they did last year. Beating teams that they should. Hopefully we are not giving excuses of how Grienke had a great game, or those pesky Royals beat us again. We need to beat teams that we should this year. No more giveaway games, no more zero effort corpseball nights in summer. Beat the Royals, we are a much better team than they are.

Remember when we had a losing record(or damn close to it) against the Tigers in 2003? Cost us the division.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Remember when we had a losing record(or damn close to it) against the Tigers in 2003? Cost us the division.

The Sox were 11-8 against the Tiger and finished 4 games out. To win the division the White Sox would've need to go 16-3 against the Tigers. They were bad that year, but nobody beat them 16 times (although the Twins beat them 15 times.)

I'm more concerned with the teams in front of us.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 17, 2007 -> 06:25 AM)
The Sox were 11-8 against the Tiger and finished 4 games out. To win the division the White Sox would've need to go 16-3 against the Tigers. They were bad that year, but nobody beat them 16 times (although the Twins beat them 15 times.)

I'm more concerned with the teams in front of us.

That's still horrible though, and it was a huge part of us not winning the division.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 17, 2007 -> 02:27 PM)
That's still horrible though, and it was a huge part of us not winning the division.

There were several factors that that team didn't win. Add any two of them together and the team does win. I mean, good leadoff hitter for the first half of the year, Billy Koch not existing, Mark Buehrle's 2-10 start, 4 1-run losses in Loaiza starts, mediocrity against s***ty teams; that team was amazingly talented, but it just flat out choked.

I finally found out what the PFX number in gameday means!

Q: What is the PFX value?

A: The "Pitch-f/x" value is currently defined as the measurement of the distance between the location of the actual pitch thrown over the plate, and the calculated location of a ball thrown by the pitcher in the same way, with no spin; this is the value we provided in Enhanced Gameday last season as "Break". The new Break value, which we feel is more appropriate for the common understanding of the term, is defined as the measurement of the greatest distance between the trajectory of the pitch at any point between the release point and the front of home plate, and the straight line path from the release point and the front of home plate. By this definition, a Barry Zito curveball will have a much greater Break value than a Brad Penny fastball.

(By the way, the "camera control" in the 3D batter area allows you to view each pitch from any of six different viewpoints, so you can see the trajectory and location of each pitch from multiple angles.)

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 17, 2007 -> 08:44 PM)
I'm not a big fan of the Gameday update. It's something that getting used to hasn't done much good for.

If your talking about MLBs I would agree. They are putting too much into it, they added where you can change camera angles, and see the pitch thrown like the break and everything. As much as its nice just a little too much.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Apr 17, 2007 -> 10:04 PM)
Jason Tyner almost hit a home run against Jeff Weaver tonight. it hit the base of the wall

but he has 2 doubles so far tonight

better check his bat for cork!

That's as many extra base hits as Joe Crede has since last September 3rd.

Anyone watching Tigers/Royals game? Tigers just scored on what coulda been a DP, Gordon threw it away, they had 1st and 2nd no outs, now 2nd and 3rd one out (Shef popped out). Damn, they were playing so well too.

1-0 Tigers bottom 6

Monroe 2 rbi single. 3-0 Tigers bottom 6. Damn it

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Apr 18, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
Anyone watching Tigers/Royals game? Tigers just scored on what coulda been a DP, Gordon threw it away, they had 1st and 2nd no outs, now 2nd and 3rd one out (Shef popped out). Damn, they were playing so well too.

1-0 Tigers bottom 6

Monroe 2 rbi single. 3-0 Tigers bottom 6. Damn it

3-0 now

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 18, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
Tied 3-3 now, runners on 1st and 2nd with 2 outs. Gload almost hit into a double play to end it but barely beat it out.

Echo... :P Gload hussled his ass two AB in a row, good for him. It was only runners on first too, Sweeney was out at 2nd.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)
So now that Jones has blown a save to the Royals...will the Zumaya closer talk resume?

He still has a 2.16 ERA after the blown save.

Gary Sheffield playing like crap so far this year. I didn't know Greg Walker was allowed to give hitting advice to players from other teams.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Apr 18, 2007 -> 04:04 PM)
I know it is early but I think the AL Central is not going to look as good as the "experts" believed. 88 wins may win it as the beat up on each other.

I don't buy it at all. Every AL team has 18 games against the NL, and the AL Central has barely played any teams in the West and East. The AL East has 2, maybe 3 very good teams in it, and the AL West has Anaheim and that's about it (and I think Anaheim is a 3rd-4th place team in the AL Central; such very little power, and they've NEVER shown the willingness to acquire a big bat either in the offseason or at the trade deadline).

The AL Central will beat up on itself a little bit, but they'll have plenty of teams they'll be able to pad that win total against throughout the rest of the year. Figure all 4 teams in the AL Central getting around 40 wins (I figured 12 against KC, and then 9, 10, and 9 against the other 3) within the division, and then figure they have another 86 or so to get to 90; it's 14 games over .500, which is a .581 winning percentage, which is very achievable. If you figure that scenario is very possible, I could easily see the AL Central being a power house division. It's entirely possible that 90 wins finishes 3rd again.