2007 AL Central Catch-All Thread

Kalapse

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2007 -> 09:53 AM)
Its one of those situations where statistics don't tell the whole story. The kid is finally getting it, which is scary.

oh no they tell the entire story

45 IP, 35 H, 9 R, 8 ER, 3 HR, 12 BB, 16 K

Those are the numbers of Fausto Carmona without his start against the White Sox; translated...

1.60 ERA

1.04 WHIP

2.4 BB/9

and then a GO/AO in the 2.5-3 range; he's apparently keeping the ball down, and that's the difference between him getting torched and succeeding.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ May 18, 2007 -> 08:03 PM)
Yeah, there was quite the ovation when Miller fielded a bunt cleanly for an out. These two teams are damn good, even with all of the injuries they've had. Just a fantastic day of baseball today with the Sox losing, Cubs winning, Tigers/Indians winning, and the rest of the NL Central losing.

And to top things off for me the Suns lose to those damned Spurs.

Carmona has always had good stuff, but I just had questions as to if he could recover from the combination of 1-12 and his infamous closer stint. I give him credit for his mental toughness, and he is being rewarded for it. It's a really good story actually, or at least I think it is.

Did I ever tell you I hate FOX? I can understand showing the Yankees and Mets in certain parts of the country, but you would think that for a city whose team is in the same division as the Sox, we'd get the Sox/Cubs game. But apparently FOX doesn't think that way.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 19, 2007 -> 06:25 PM)
I'm officially for the idea of acquiring T. Hunter this offseason. Huge contract or not, all he does is help his team win.

That contract would kill us the last 2 or 3 years of it, but our OF situation is so bad that we might have to bite the bullet with a bad contract if we want an at least MLB quality group.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 19, 2007 -> 08:09 PM)
Two of the overall worst days of baseball in a long time the past two days. Not a single team I wanted to see win, won.

Well the Reds did win at Cleveland yesterday, and lead 2-0 today. Speaking of which, the Indians are seeing up close and personal one of their top 2 or 3 biggest organizational mistakes of the last decade. They traded Phillps to the Reds for a PTBNL at the beginning of last season. He's a great fielder, and had a respectable .276/.324/.427/.751 at the dish last year with 17 homers, 28 doubles, 75 RBI, and 25 for 27 in steals. The now only 25 year old entered today with 8 doubles, 3 triples, 7 homers, 24 RBI, 8 for 11 in steals, and a .293/.339/.494/.833, and has already extended his hitting streak to 22 games with a homer in the 2nd today. And he's still a superior fielder with really good speed who is only 25.

Now I know they have and really like Barfield, but they gave up Kouzmanoff to get him (and yes, I know they have Marte too), but even with all that said, to give up BP for nothing is not good. Oops.

QUOTE(Brian @ May 20, 2007 -> 05:48 PM)
The Tigers color commentator things Curtis Granderson is an equal player as GARY Sizemore.

Just thought it was funny.

He's not there yet, but Granderson is putting up some fantastic numbers. 15/5/7 in terms of doubles/triples/homers. It amazes me how good he is, because he definitely didn't stand out when you played TF South.

Tribe fans will be on Wedge tonight. Unless he was hurt, to pull Carmona after 70 pitches and than let the bullpen give up the lead the very next inning to the Royals. yikes.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ May 22, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)
The Twins set a new team record by striking out Rangers batters 18 times. The old record was 17

Shouldn't count. Sosa was in the lineup.

/didn't look at box score, he probably didn't strike out and went deep once.

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ May 24, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
Anyone think Magglio is finally 100% healthy again? :huh:

.357 BA -- 12 HR's -- 45 RBI

Cuz I do.

Rumor has it he soaks his mane in an androstenedione solution before each game.

I gotta say, I still love watching Mags hit when he's hot. And he's in one of those zones right now. I remember a series in KC when he just went ape s*** and was hitting the ball all over the park. It's fun to watch. I still like the guy, even though he proved to be a tool. Hell...he signed with the sox when he was 15.