SOX FIRESALE BY JUNE

JERMAINEDYE4MVP

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring back Royce Ring...

I was looking at the draft results from 2002, and it sucks so much that we missed getting Cole Hammels by 1 pick!!!

Whatever happened to Ring? Wasn't he considered our closer of the future? And then even when he was traded to NYM, they considered him their future closer...

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 11:30 PM)
Bring back Royce Ring...

I was looking at the draft results from 2002, and it sucks so much that we missed getting Cole Hammels by 1 pick!!!

Whatever happened to Ring? Wasn't he considered our closer of the future? And then even when he was traded to NYM, they considered him their future closer...

He decided to not be good when he was with us.

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 12:27 AM)
Run, Done, and Princeton rhyme.

They're all -un sounds.

I guess it depends on how you pronounce Princeton. I've never pronounced it Prince-ton, but more Prince-tin. Probably my "east coast accent" (which I don't really believe I have).

In any case, good call. I didn't notice that :P

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 12:30 AM)
Bring back Royce Ring...

I think he's still in the Mets organization. I'm pretty certain I heard his name mentioned in a Mets spring training broadcast.

Bring back Royce Ring...

He never had "closer stuff," so I'm not sure that anybody really believed he was the closer to the future.

He was LH, but a lot was made out of the fact that MLB teams almost NEVER draft college closers in the first round (albeit late) and that it was a strange pick for us.

KW determined pretty quickly he wasn't going to amount to much and dealt him the Mets.

Bring back Royce Ring...

According to people around here, he was drafted because he the most major league ready player. How did that work out?

I think the Sox signed him because he was cheap. But as the last 6 years have shwon, it could be because they suck at scouting and drafting college and HS players.

Wait until players from more recent drafts start making the majors before any Sox first round pick.

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 08:46 AM)
According to people around here, he was drafted because he the most major league ready player. How did that work out?

I think the Sox signed him because he was cheap. But as the last 6 years have shwon, it could be because they suck at scouting and drafting college and HS players.

Wait until players from more recent drafts start making the majors before any Sox first round pick.

Bob

That was part of it too, there was the sense that he was ready to come in right away as a lefty set-up man, and that was a need at the big league level before the emergence of Marte.

The last college closer we drafted before that was, I think, Josh Fogg from the University of Florida. Who we proceeded to groom as a starter.

QUOTE(JERMAINEDYE4MVP @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 12:38 AM)
FACT! I REALLY DON'T THINK THIS TEAM IS GOING TO BE ANY GOOD THIS SEASON AND I BELIEVE THAT KW WILL TRY AND TRADE DYE, BUEHRLE, IGUCHI, THOME, CREDE, AND EVEN KONERKO BEFORE THE DEADLINE KIND OF LIKE THE MARLINS DID AND PICK UP YOUNG TALENT.

DISCUSS.

1) No matter how bad we were, we'd never do all of that.

2) Those Marlins may have picked up young talent (much of which was from the offseason trade of Pierre) but they aren't winning anything, so they are hardly a team to emulate.

3) It's early and this team should contend...too much pitching not to.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE(JERMAINEDYE4MVP @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 11:38 PM)
FACT! I REALLY DON'T THINK THIS TEAM IS GOING TO BE ANY GOOD THIS SEASON AND I BELIEVE THAT KW WILL TRY AND TRADE DYE, BUEHRLE, IGUCHI, THOME, CREDE, AND EVEN KONERKO BEFORE THE DEADLINE KIND OF LIKE THE MARLINS DID AND PICK UP YOUNG TALENT.

DISCUSS.

capslock.jpg

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 11:55 AM)
2) Those Marlins may have picked up young talent (much of which was from the offseason trade of Pierre) but they aren't winning anything, so they are hardly a team to emulate.

:bang you should get your facts straight

the marlins are pretty much one of the best organizations to emulate, 2 WS titles in less than 10years!!

consistent production from their farm system, great scouting and FO, and one of the lowest payrolls in mlb.

they make something out of nothing more often than not, and they took Santanta before the twins in the rule V before he was traded to them. Dan Uggla from the D-Backs, and my NLROY pick another rule V pick from 04 in the AAA phase; Alejandro De Aza(hes currently starting CF for them, and has hit safely in every game this season)