You knew Mariotti was waiting to write this one...

caulfield12

i'll just do what abraham lincoln used to do with his ineffective Civil War generals (before Sherman and Grant), i'll wipe it out and just feel a LITTLE better having written it

to think i was feeling a little sorry for the guy with all of his physical problems, my sympathy has quickly dissolved again two games into the season

Edited by caulfield12

The other day at work a guy hands me the Sun-times baseball edition and tells me the times picked the Cubs to have a better season than the Sox.

I knew right away, which weasel he was talking about :angry:

I read part of the article before I went to another.

Speaking of bias, did anyone get the fold-out season calender from the Trib last Sunday?

On one side, they have the Cubs with a nice shot of Wrigley. It's packed and looks good. On the reverse is a shot of the Cell. Its maybe half full and the color on the picture is crap.

I don't know what this has to do with Mariotti, but I just felt like pointing it out.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 10:27 AM)
Speaking of bias, did anyone get the fold-out season calender from the Trib last Sunday?

On one side, they have the Cubs with a nice shot of Wrigley. It's packed and looks good. On the reverse is a shot of the Cell. Its maybe half full and the color on the picture is crap.

I don't know what this has to do with Mariotti, but I just felt like pointing it out.

Its the Tribune taking their last shots at the Sox.

How ridiculous. I just sent an email in to this jackass, which is probably what the jerk wants, but oh well. I'll post it here for your enjoyment.

Mr. Mariotti,

How fittingly you describe your loathing for this organization. I distinctly remember you writing a column, two days into the 2005 season, about how Ozzie's small ball would not be enough to win the AL Central. I immediately replied with an email to you, criticizing you for making such a rash judgment some 48 hours into the 05' season. As we all know, you proved to be wrong in nearly every possible manner about the White Sox that season, and your columns were irresponsible, hypocritical, ridiculous, ignorant, hyperbolic, and to put it more bluntly, absolutely downright stupid.

When will you EVER learn? Your lack of knowledge about not only the game of baseball, but the business of baseball as well is amazingly apparent in your everyday column-writing about BOTH of the professional baseball teams from this City. It is understood that you write columns to sell newspaper today, which demands hyperbole by it's very nature. However, your reactions are knee-jerk to the extreme, as if you are Bill Murray's character from the movie Groundhog Day, and you cannot recall the ridiculous column you wrote just the day before. You have no conscience, flip-flopping with your arguments more than a fish out of water to suit your ignorant and fallacious column of the morning.

Will you ever show any professionalism in your work? It is so clear that you take cheap shots at the entire White Sox organization whenever the previous day's box score will alow it. And yet you praise the Cubs' forty million dollar investment based on 7 innings in April? Your shock appeal may sell some newspapers, Mr. Mariotti, but you are a jackass in a profession surprisingly void of them at the moment, highlighting your pathetic, jealous, vengeance-seeking drivel even more. I look forward to the day when your bosses finally grow weary of the game you are always playing-using your forum as a vehicle to seek personal revenge on an organization that has already embarrassed you enough- and you are fired, exiled to St. Pete to cover the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

In the meantime, try something new- perhaps some professionalism- and see the big picture for once instead of one day's box score as an excuse to condemn a full season worth of baseball. It's devastatingly clear that you could use some.

Sincerely,

Mark Schackmuth

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 11:05 AM)
i will say this again EXACTLY ONCE, as I say it at the beginning of every season:

every post you make about this guy validates him

every letter you write to him validates him

every conversation you have about him validates him

if you ignore him, you hurt him the most.

Very true. I saw him on Around the Horn, and he was so happy that the Trib is finally selling the Cubs. I don't know if he should be. Here's my theory...a lot of Sox fans hate his columns, but still prefer to buy the Sun-Times. Why? Well, because the Tribune has an obvious pro-Cubs conflict of interest. I honestly believe that more and more sports fans will begin buying the Tribune because that bias will be gone soon, and that's not good for Mr. Mariotti or the Sun-Times.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 10:01 AM)
I missed something... what's wrong with Mariotti health-wise.

Mariotti in good condition after angioplasty

(http://www.suntimes.com/sports/198116,010407jay.article)

January 4, 2007

Sun-Times sports columnist Jay Mariotti was in good condition and resting comfortably Thursday after undergoing an angioplasty Wednesday night.

Mariotti, who marked his 15th anniversary at the Sun-Times last summer, fell ill on a flight to New Orleans to cover the Sugar Bowl.

When his condition failed to improve after he arrived at his hotel, he went to an area hospital, where the heart procedure was performed to clear a clogged artery.

Mariotti will be taking some time off from his column and ESPN’s "Around the Horn" sports talk show. He hopes to return before the Super Bowl.

Sun-Times

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 11:30 AM)
All the firestorm aside, isn't that what people have been saying here, though, forever? Trading away Freddy and B-Mac for "maybes" is probably going to bite us in the ass?

I'm confused...

So far neither one of the trades had ANY impact on the team. Danks hasnt pitched yet, BMAC wasnt stellar, and Freddy is hurt.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)
The only email I'd ever send to Hysteriotti would include just one thing:

this link to Eric Zorn's beautiful column detailing Jaybird's hysterical flip-flopping during the 2005 season.

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_colum...ariottis_y.html

He would have fit in really well around here. I think it is so funny for any Sox fan to complain about flip flopping. There was many a day in '05 that I was the only person here who actually thought the skid was good and would help the post season. We have a lot of Mariottis here who post the same stuff that Mariotti publishes. This aint rocket science. Almost any fan can come up with the same stuff that is published daily in every newspaper in North America.