BP Article on Charlie

Jeremy

Baseball Prospectus' Rany Jazayerli has an excellent, lengthy, free article on Charlie Haeger today.

To put it bluntly: what Charlie Haeger has already done—reached the major leagues before his 23rd birthday while throwing knuckleballs almost exclusively—is almost unprecedented. It also strongly suggests he has a bright future, at least if the company he keeps is any indication.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=6068

wow:

But one column in Haeger's stat line looks out of place. Specifically, his homers allowed column, which looks like it was borrowed from another player. Specifically, Greg Maddux. Haeger has allowed just 19 home runs in 444 innings since he started throwing the knuckler. Over the last two years, he has allowed just 13 in 356 innings. That’s phenomenal for any pitching prospect, even the best pitching prospects in the minor leagues. While it’s a small sample size, the fact that Haeger faced 79 major league hitters last year and didn’t surrender a single homer—and just one double and one triple—is a good sign that his ability to keep the ball in the park may not be solely a single-deck phenomenon.

By comparison, Felix Hernandez, one of the most impressive pitching prospects of our time, and an extreme groundball pitcher at that, surrendered 14 homers in 306 minor league innings. Haeger’s home run rate is on a par with that of King Felix; it’s better than Homer Bailey's (12 HR in 255 IP), or Matt Garza's (14 HR in 211 IP), or Francisco Liriano;s (32 HR in 484 IP). It’s not as good as Phil Hughes, who has given up a mere six bombs in 237 innings.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
If the White Sox are precautious with Buehrle and he misses a start, I expect Haeger to be called up first. Selecting Floyd proves Williams is intent on pushing his acquisition ahead of the better pitcher.

There's more to it than that...Floyd is scheduled to pitch the charlotte opener tonight. That'd put him pitching the same day as Buehrle is scheduled to go next week as well. Not sure when Charlie threw last, but it's possible that for 1 start, shifting that many people around wouldn't be the best idea.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)
There's more to it than that...Floyd is scheduled to pitch the charlotte opener tonight. That'd put him pitching the same day as Buehrle is scheduled to go next week as well. Not sure when Charlie threw last, but it's possible that for 1 start, shifting that many people around wouldn't be the best idea.

You're only further validating Haeger by suggesting his next start will coincide with Buehrle's. Unless Floyd will be held back all together from starting these next several days, it wouldn't be too smart to have him travel to Chicago on short rest.

I wouldn't be concerned about when he threw last, either. Consider the fluid motion of a knuckleballer. If the White Sox are willing to have Masset pitch four innings this afternoon after throwing three several days ago, Charlie's throwing schedule shouldn't be an issue.

Perhaps Masset will have the spot start. I'm sure this is what you were insinuating by suggesting a move may 'shift people around.' It's possible he will be selected, but then you have to hope beyond hope the starters throw 6+ innings the next four games. Then several games after Masset's start.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
You're only further validating Haeger by suggesting his next start will coincide with Buehrle's. Unless Floyd will be held back all together from starting these next several days, it wouldn't be too smart to have him travel to Chicago on short rest.

I don't think that's what I was saying at all. If both Buehrle and Floyd pitch today, that means if we need someone to pitch the next time Buehrle's spot in the rotation comes up, Floyd would be on 4 days rest, aka normal rest, that day. So Floyd would not be on short rest, but its entirely possible Charlie would be either on extra-long rest or short rest if he had to take over Buehrle's spot, since Charlie is probably penciled in to pitch tomorrow.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(beautox @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 04:46 PM)
we could've really used hager these past 3 games, our BP is taxed.

Exactly.

I'm worried about our bullpen, than Buehrle, considering the six straight games upcoming.

If Danks doesn't pitch atleast five innings, we may be in trouble. You can't reasonably throw Masset out. Any reliever going two innings can't be used the following game. Just imagine if someone pulls a Contreras within the next several days, and we're without an off-day to regroup.

/shudders

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 05:03 PM)
I don't think that's what I was saying at all. If both Buehrle and Floyd pitch today, that means if we need someone to pitch the next time Buehrle's spot in the rotation comes up, Floyd would be on 4 days rest, aka normal rest, that day. So Floyd would not be on short rest, but its entirely possible Charlie would be either on extra-long rest or short rest if he had to take over Buehrle's spot, since Charlie is probably penciled in to pitch tomorrow.

My fault, Balta. You're right.

I'm definitely losing some sort of grasp with reality, here. Guess that's what 2 hours of sleep will do to you. :bang

When I quoted your initial post, in which Floyd was specifically mentioned as the opening day starter, I somehow interpreted it as Haeger starting opening day.

I suppose the issue here is when Haeger will start, whether they'll hold him back, or if they'll go with the logical choice (atleast considering normal rest) and go with Floyd.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)
Exactly.

I'm worried about our bullpen, than Buehrle, considering the six straight games upcoming.

If Danks doesn't pitch atleast five innings, we may be in trouble. You can't reasonably throw Masset out. Any reliever going two innings can't be used the following game. Just imagine if someone pulls a Contreras within the next several days, and we're without an off-day to regroup.

/shudders

My fault, Balta. You're right.

I'm definitely losing some sort of grasp with reality, here. Guess that's what 2 hours of sleep will do to you. :bang

When I quoted your initial post, in which Floyd was specifically mentioned as the opening day starter, I somehow interpreted it as Haeger starting opening day.

I suppose the issue here is when Haeger will start, whether they'll hold him back, or if they'll go with the logical choice (atleast considering normal rest) and go with Floyd.

hey flash, kinda OT... but you really should add Massett to that McCarthy/Danks watch, IMO.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)
hey flash, kinda OT... but you really should add Massett to that McCarthy/Danks watch, IMO.

I think Ozzie will reward Masset after today's outing, but we'll just have to wait and see.

An interesting debate between Haeger and Floyd for the start, if they leave Masset in the pen. If it's only going to be one start missed, it would be surprising for them to DL him, so you'd have to think they would go with Masset or possibly Sisco.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 08:47 PM)
I am very high on Haeger. I thought he should've been the 5th starter ahead of Danks, mostly because I think he's more major-league ready than Danks. We have not heard the last of Charlie.

If Haeger was the starter for Danks, it sounds like they might be willing to proclaim us a .500 team again, instead of 72-90.

;-)

I would be pretty shocked if Kenny Williams has ever read something they've printed deliberately (on his own), without some aggrieved Sox fan or administrative type giving it to KW for bulletin board material first...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
wow:

But one column in Haeger's stat line looks out of place. Specifically, his homers allowed column, which looks like it was borrowed from another player. Specifically, Greg Maddux. Haeger has allowed just 19 home runs in 444 innings since he started throwing the knuckler. Over the last two years, he has allowed just 13 in 356 innings. That’s phenomenal for any pitching prospect, even the best pitching prospects in the minor leagues. While it’s a small sample size, the fact that Haeger faced 79 major league hitters last year and didn’t surrender a single homer—and just one double and one triple—is a good sign that his ability to keep the ball in the park may not be solely a single-deck phenomenon.

By comparison, Felix Hernandez, one of the most impressive pitching prospects of our time, and an extreme groundball pitcher at that, surrendered 14 homers in 306 minor league innings. Haeger’s home run rate is on a par with that of King Felix; it’s better than Homer Bailey's (12 HR in 255 IP), or Matt Garza's (14 HR in 211 IP), or Francisco Liriano;s (32 HR in 484 IP). It’s not as good as Phil Hughes, who has given up a mere six bombs in 237 innings.

His home run rate so far this season is 1 per inning :angry: He's given up 2 so far in 2 innings tonight.