Arrested for feeding people

Texsox

MIAMI, Florida (Reuters) -- Police have arrested an activist for feeding the homeless in downtown Orlando, Florida.

Eric Montanez, 21, of the charity group Food Not Bombs was charged with violating a controversial law against feeding large groups of destitute people in the city center, police said Thursday.

Montanez was filmed by undercover officers Wednesday as he served "30 unidentified persons food from a large pot utilizing a ladle," according to an arrest affidavit. The Orlando area is home to Disney World and Universal Studios Florida.

The Orlando law, which is supported by local business owners who say the homeless drive away customers but has been challenged in court by civil rights groups, allows charities to feed more than 25 people at a time within two miles (3.2 kilometers) of Orlando City Hall only if they have a special permit. They can get two permits a year.

Police collected a vial of the stew Montanez was serving as evidence.

Police spokeswoman Barbara Jones said in an e-mail it was the first time anyone had been arrested under the feeding ban.

Montanez was charged with a misdemeanor.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)
MIAMI, Florida (Reuters) -- Police have arrested an activist for feeding the homeless in downtown Orlando, Florida.

Eric Montanez, 21, of the charity group Food Not Bombs was charged with violating a controversial law against feeding large groups of destitute people in the city center, police said Thursday.

Montanez was filmed by undercover officers Wednesday as he served "30 unidentified persons food from a large pot utilizing a ladle," according to an arrest affidavit. The Orlando area is home to Disney World and Universal Studios Florida.

The Orlando law, which is supported by local business owners who say the homeless drive away customers but has been challenged in court by civil rights groups, allows charities to feed more than 25 people at a time within two miles (3.2 kilometers) of Orlando City Hall only if they have a special permit. They can get two permits a year.

Police collected a vial of the stew Montanez was serving as evidence.

Police spokeswoman Barbara Jones said in an e-mail it was the first time anyone had been arrested under the feeding ban.

Montanez was charged with a misdemeanor.

A ladel? *gasp*

A vial of stew?! *ohmyijustsharted*

This has got to be one of the dumbest laws ever. /remembers about the old saying that the people vote for what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.

If they wanna have that stupid law thats one thing. But the fact that they used tax dollars on UNDERCOVER officers to investigate is just sad. DOnt they have anything better to do than this. Id be ashamed of myself if I was the officer that arrested him.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 05:07 AM)
This is one of those really stupid ideas that no one ever supports, yet somehow get passed. It doesn't reflect the values of any Americans.

Yes it does. The executives at Disney and Universal studios and a few nightclub owners around Orlando, who make an awful lot of money on tourists.

There are two ways to look at this.

1) Nice walking around feeding people

2) Guy sets up shop in high rent / highly visable area that attracts destitute people where business suffers because of type of crowd.

Sorry but homeless people do not attract the crowd which spends money. This is all about business. If the guy wants to feed the homeless, follow the laws set in place.

There were cases where churches were getting shut down, because according to the health department regs, you needed to have all sorts of fancy equipment to feed x amount of people. The churches couldn't afford to spend $50,000 upgrading thier kitchens so they could feed the homeless, so they had to stop. The supposed reasoning was for the health concerns of those being fed. I guess if they starve, they can't get food poisoning.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 12:18 PM)

2) Guy sets up shop in high rent / highly visable area that attracts destitute people where business suffers because of type of crowd.

Sorry but homeless people do not attract the crowd which spends money. This is all about business. If the guy wants to feed the homeless, follow the laws set in place.

Well, not bad, 8th post to get to somebody finding what was wrong with somebody wanting to help people. I had hopes of everybody actually finding it wrong that this guy got punished.

Yeah, cuz homeless people only need to eat two times a year. (as per the edict that a group can only get two permits a year) That law is inherently flawed by not allowing the public to perform a beneficial public service. The idea that the almighty dollar trumps people eating is absolutely ridiculous.

I just get reminded of a piece from Eugene Debs' 1908 speech:

"Now my friends, I am opposed to the system of society in which we live today, not because I lack the natural equipment to do for myself but because I am not satisfied to make myself comfortable knowing that there are thousands of my fellow men who suffer for the barest necessities of life. We were taught under the old ethic that man's business on this earth was to look out for himself. That was the ethic of the jungle; the ethic of the wild beast. Take care of yourself, no matter what may become of your fellow man. Thousands of years ago the question was asked; ''Am I my brother's keeper?'' That question has never yet been answered in a way that is satisfactory to civilized society. Yes, I am my brother's keeper. I am under a moral obligation to him that is inspired, not by any maudlin sentimentality but by the higher duty I owe myself. What would you think me if I were capable of seating myself at a table and gorging myself with food and saw about me the children of my fellow beings starving to death."

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 07:51 PM)
Well, not bad, 8th post to get to somebody finding what was wrong with somebody wanting to help people. I had hopes of everybody actually finding it wrong that this guy got punished.

If I owned a nice restaurant and this guy was setting up out front or next to my building, feeding homeless people, I would be plenty pissed and would call the police. Don't they have soup kitchens, or churches out there that do this sort of thing?

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 08:16 PM)
If I owned a nice restaurant and this guy was setting up out front or next to my building, feeding homeless people, I would be plenty pissed and would call the police. Don't they have soup kitchens, or churches out there that do this sort of thing?

The thing is that the law states that any charity can only get two permits per calendar year so that puts a big crimp in any sustained volunteer feeding program.

So true, and I am certain you wouldn't mind if they set up in an area where business wouldn't suffer, like in front of your house. :headbang

If you are going to help someone, especially the homeless, it is so wrong to go to them. They need to get off their lazy asses and get in their cars and SUVs and drive to the help. D'Oh.